caldwell county 800

Status
Not open for further replies.

justin302

since caldwell county has switched to the viper system i have had problems programing there trunck system in my bct8 scanner. I am a police officer in blowing rock me and other officers have the trunk tracking scanner we have tried to program the hibriton site and the warrior mtn site but we don't hear a thing

Last edited by a moderator:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
since caldwell county has switched to the viper system i have had problems programing there trunck system in my bct8 scanner. I am a police officer in blowing rock me and other officers have the trunk tracking scanner we have tried to program the hibriton site and the warrior mtn site but we don't hear a thing

The Uniden BCT8 is an Analog only scanner. Caldwell County is operating on VIPER using digital talkgroups.
The only Caldwell County talkgroup you will be able to monitor on the BCT8 is 28432 which is the Analog Caldwell County Mutual Aid Talkgroup.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Last edited by a moderator:

pboy

Also, Warrior Mtn. and Butte Mtn. sites are not online yet.

Some Caldwell traffic will appear on Linville.

trunking ?

I know that Caldwell County changed radio systems a few months ago. Can someone help me with frequencies so I can once again hear county traffic. I have not been without a scanner for 30 years - I have heard about "trunking" but I really have no idea what it is or how to program my scanner to hear the county traffic. I have an old Realistic 400 channel (pro-2004) I bought it about 19 years ago and I have an old BC70 XLT that I bought back in 1984. Both still work great ! I would appreciate any help.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I know that Caldwell County changed radio systems a few months ago. Can someone help me with frequencies so I can once again hear county traffic. I have not been without a scanner for 30 years - I have heard about "trunking" but I really have no idea what it is or how to program my scanner to hear the county traffic. I have an old Realistic 400 channel (pro-2004) I bought it about 19 years ago and I have an old BC70 XLT that I bought back in 1984. Both still work great ! I would appreciate any help.

Welcome to RadioReference.com! Good to have you with us. Unfortunately the bad news is that neither of the 2 radios you list above can handle monitoring Caldwell County on the statewide VIPER system.
To help you get used to Trunking feel free to surf over to the RR.com "Wiki" linked at the top of each and every page and here is the part of the Wiki dedicated to trunking basics:
Trunking Basics - The RadioReference Wiki
Read up and let us know what confuses after that!
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Thanks

Thanks for the reply - Is this VIPER system the same thing as "trunking" I checked with Radio Shack today and they told me that it would cost approx $400 for a scanner that will work with the VIPER system.
Do you know of any other options? Thanks again for the help - It's literally been about 30 + years since I have been without a scanner - I miss the traffic ! At least for now I still have the fire departments and school buses.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply - Is this VIPER system the same thing as "trunking" I checked with Radio Shack today and they told me that it would cost approx $400 for a scanner that will work with the VIPER system.
Do you know of any other options? Thanks again for the help - It's literally been about 30 + years since I have been without a scanner - I miss the traffic ! At least for now I still have the fire departments and school buses.

Well the short answer is yes...VIPER is statewide trunking but it is more complex than that :) VIPER actually stands for "Voice Interoperability Plan for Emergency Responders"....It is actually a set of standards designed to make communication between public safety departments easier no matter if they are the dept next city over or across the state. There is a statewide Motorola trunked system of which the NCSHP (Highway Patrol) is the managing agency. This statewide system has been nicknamed "the VIPER system" over the last 10 years. An agency or county has the capability of partnering with the NCSHP and can have little access to the statewide system (ie: Johnston County) or large access (ie: Wake County) to the statewide system.

As far as the advice from Radio Shack: An employee was actually giving out mostly correct advice for once! :) That employee needs to be given employee of the month status and bumped up to District Manager status!
If we look at the VIPER database listing for Caldwell County one pesky fact stands out: The third column labeled "Mode". Since there is a "D" in most of those listings we soon realize that to be able to monitor Caldwell County well will need a digital scanner. And Digital Scanners average on the low end $350 all the way up to $500.
I have also attached to this post a copy of an Adobe Acrobat pdf document that was drawn up by Uniden America's Paul Opitz (UPMan here at RR.com). It is titiled "But I Just want to listen to the Police" and is a good read into the basics of trunking. I also recommend surfing by the RR.com Wiki which a link can be found at the top of this page.
I hope this gets you headed in the right direction!
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Attachments

• ButIjustwanttolistentothePolice.pdf
    168.4 KB · Views: 264
I'm a noobie

Thanks for your patience in explaining all that stuff. Just a couple years ago I was THE MAN when it came to programming scanners. VIPER has reduced me to freshman status. I certainly will get a new scanner one day - but with work getting more and more scarce , it's gonna be a while.
Thanks again - -- - -- -
PS : FOR SALE : 2 programable boat anchors , one table top one handheld, antennas included

Status
Not open for further replies.