Brunswick Co ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

airbear21200

Premium Subscriber
Wow, how sad !! The Bruswick thread at one time was one of the most active threads in the NC forums. I made the last post a couple of months ago requesting any new info coming out on Brunswick, including the VIPER site near Calabash. NO response at all ! Well, I'll throw this back out again to see if anyone is still out here, and since I am in Brunswick now. I hate to see this thread disappear, let alone loose it's "sticky" status. I am sure there are still things going on here. Any takers for a reply?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Dave,
It was a tough decision to remove the Brunswick sticky thread but a little house cleaning was needed and that thread was on life support....if we get another very active Brunswick Radio thread I would be willing to consider making another sticky in the future....
Sorry Man but Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

airbear21200

Premium Subscriber
Marshall, I totally understand !! No fault to you at all. Hopefuly this thread can be revived. I know things are going on here, just need to restoke the fire. Hopefully the folks down here will step back up and reactivate.
Thanks for all you do and Happy New Year's to ya !

airbear21200

Premium Subscriber
Pea Landing tower

I went by Pea Landing Rd tower today. There did not appear to be much on it yet. There is a MW dish that seems to be pointing N NW toward Whiteville, maybe a VIPER MW link? I wasn't there long and didn't get anything 800 on "close call". From what I saw, there really didnt seem to be enough there to support the BC vhf and uhf LTR's. So I am not sure if this tower has much activity on it yet. Maybe someone can shed some light. (Next visit here - April)

WA4MJF

Usually there is a sign on the fence around the tower that gives contact info. If it has a phone company name then it is a cell tower or microwave tower. If it has Dept CC&PS, Div of NCSHP, C&L it probably is a VIPER tower and/or voting receiver and/or state microwave system tower.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Reconrider - Another method is to determine the location coordinates with a GPS or map. Then, do a geo-search in the FCC ULS database for licensees listing those coordinates.

Sometimes, a tower or property owner will gate the road leading to the tower, in which case you might not be able to get close enough to where the signage is posted.

Airbear - I don't use the close-call feature on my Unidens, but I have to wonder whether the feature would be very effective with an 800 MHz Motorola trunked system.

The feature is dependant on one signal having considerably more strength than all others in a given area. But I would think that a single voice frequency would never stand out - signal-wise, because the control frequency is constantly broadcasting.

And, even without any voice frequencies in use, the control frequency might not be detected if the data skip feature is enabled, or a custom search is done in control-channel-only mode.

Can anyone offer any first-hand experience ?

airbear21200

Premium Subscriber
reconrider - usually you can tell the owner or manager of the tower by signage on the gates, because they are required to have contact info posted along with FAA ID #. You can also usually tell if cellular is used on the tower because of the array of antenna pannels that usually are mounted 360* around the tower, usually toward the top portion of the tower. Most other services will have long pole type omni or even yagis mounted. You also have to keep in mind that many tower owners will "lease" space on their tower to other companies. Our towers have numerous services loaded. Our 7 1,000 footers have 2-3 trunked systems, at least one cell, a bunch of single repeaters, such as community repeaters and VHF links into the trunked systems, ect. So just because you see the cell pannels don't mistake it for being a cell site only. We even have sirius/xm ground station broadcasters on some of ours.

Jeff - The close call is not a tell all, but does help. i have mine locked down to just 153.9 - 174 and the 800 band. i do not lock out the data, to help find control channels. The biggest headache is if you are trying to find something in an area where there are several towers. You definetly want to block out the FM broadcast band. I have used it with a degree of success with the Ohio MARCS sites up here. It even works better if you can unplug your antenna lead in from the scanner once you think you have located the tx'r and want to help narrow it down further. I don't use the feature that often and probably do not make the use it is really intended for, but it is another tool.

As far as the Pea Landing tower; my understanding is that it belongs to the County and that it was supposed to be an additional site for the BC vhf/uhf LTR systems and that there was an agreement with the State to allow them to put VIPER on that site as well. That was one of the last postings from one of the locals in BC. There hasn't been a local post since then. I was just wondering since those that were posting here were part of the system as vol firefighters and such, if someone with the County put a lock down on their involvment and posting on RR? Censorship by big brother? I am sure the County officials are quite embarrased by problems of their systems and the negative feed back that it is generating.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
>> if someone with the County put a lock down on their involvment and posting on RR? Censorship by big brother?

I believe one of the previously enthusiastic posters from the Brunswick Co area is now attending college in the Asheville area, and is posting occasionally regarding his new home-away-from-home.

One of the participants worked for an LMR business ... I haven't seen any posts from him lately.

I would enjoy reading more about the current status of the public safety communications in Brunswick Co. The PS communications in Fayetteville / Cumberland Co is another area for which current information is vague.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I was just wondering since those that were posting here were part of the system as vol firefighters and such, if someone with the County put a lock down on their involvment and posting on RR? Censorship by big brother? I am sure the County officials are quite embarrased by problems of their systems and the negative feed back that it is generating.

No censorship that I am aware of...and believe me I would know.
Just people in that area have other responsibilities at the present time.
I am sure they will be back when it is convenient for them.
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

davidearl

I am wondering if there may be a rejuvination with the new sheriff,I scan with an old racing receiver and wonder what would be a good trunking handheld to buy for Brunswick County

Robbyboy

Cat Herder
I am wondering if there may be a rejuvination with the new sheriff,I scan with an old racing receiver and wonder what would be a good trunking handheld to buy for Brunswick County

If you are only going to monitor Brunswick County, you will suffice with a Pro-97 or one of its cousins. With New Hanover migrating to digital and VIPER being both analog and digital , if you want to monitor anything else, you will need to get a digital capable scanner. Dont forget, the Pro-96 does not support LTR so based on what I have seen, one of the later model radio shack, Uniden or GRE radios.

Regards

radiotrack1

Feed Provider
Paging sites

I can't understand why anyone with Emergency Management will not complain to the digital paging companies about the splatter that is coming off of their transmitters. Especially around the Shallotte and Southport towers. When they begin transmitting it blocks out my reciever for about three miles from the tower. We had a similar problem where I am at and contacted the paging company. They found the tower had taken a lightning strike and burned out the filters. Once the filters got replaced we quit haveing interference problems. Maybe some of you know who to contact with EM to get this done. It would make the airwaves around Brunswick much cleaner and should improve reception problems.

airbear21200

Premium Subscriber
wow, so there is still life down there in Brunswick.......lol:lol:

I was in Calabash over the Holidays and picked up the Sunset Site pretty well on both the fire and LE LTR's. Nothing on Viper though. I still swear by my Uniden 396 and 996. I dont know if there are freqs yet for the Pea Landing Tower, if anyone can help with that....

davidearl

I got a pro-97 and have been playing with it for a week,it is way more sophisticated than I am.Any tips for programming? It sure would be appreciated, David

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I got a pro-97 and have been playing with it for a week,it is way more sophisticated than I am.Any tips for programming? It sure would be appreciated, David

David,
Read over the "Easier to use online Manual for the Pro 97":
Easier to Read Pro-97/2055 Scanner Manual
Also download this step by step guide to programming LTR systems:
http://www.qsl.net/ah7e/pdf/pro97-LTR.pdf
Brunswick County uses 2 LTR systems so reading up on programming them
is a must...
Hope this helps!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.