Is this scanner worth my time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KROHN27

Hey guys, I have been lurking around the forums taking in as much as I can. I recently got a realistic pro 2022 from my grandparents house that was all torn apart. I soldered back some wires that had gotten ripped out somehow, and got the thing functioning again. I went and bought a 800mhz antenna from radio shack the other day and then programmed all the frequencies I wanted to from Mecklenburg County, North Carolina (NC) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference After reading around I see that most areas in Charlotte are switching to a "trunked system". Well my scanner is most definitely not post 1997 therefore not a trunked scanner. Ive been picking up a few things around UNCC campus but not as much as I should I feel like. Like I said, thats about all I know, and I would love some input as to whether or not I should even bother messing with this scanner any more.

FireCop

Public Safety Grunt
Premium Subscriber
Don't throw it out!

KROHN27 welcome to Radio Reference! Definitely do not throw out the scanner. Even though it does not pick up trunking, it may still be of use. Though I have never owned nor laid eyes on the unit you have, I would at least think it would pick up VHF and UHF freqs. UNCC has some other freqs. besides what is listed on the RR DB page you linked for Meck Co. MEDIC and Meck Co. Fire are simulcast on freqs apart from the TRS. You may also pick up amateur/ham in the area.

If you are planning on getting a trunked scanner, take a good look at the RR Wiki. It has a wealth of information the newbies to the site sometimes overlook. This is especially important since all public safety in Meck Co is on trunking with nearly all surrounding areas quickly heading that route. You may even want to consider a digital capable scanner.

Also check out the Trunking tag for North Carolina and pull up the entry for the Charlotte/Mecklenburg TRS. There's also a thread for that system here in these North Carolina Forums. Here's the quick link:

http://www.radioreference.com/forum...002-official-charlotte-meck-radio-thread.html

I hope this helps. Again, welcome aboard!

KROHN27

Thanks for the reply and the information, I definitely won't throw it out, I will still mess with it and let is scan as it sits next to my comp!

you said:

"UNCC has some other freqs. besides what is listed on the RR DB page you linked for Meck Co. MEDIC and Meck Co. Fire are simulcast on freqs apart from the TRS. You may also pick up amateur/ham in the area"

Should I just scan to find those other frequencies? And sorry for my noob-ness, but what do you mean by amateur/ham?

And good news, my roomate brought a radioshack 2067 from home that is a "trunked" radio (please correct me if that is the wrong wording). So in the mean time, I suppose I will be looking up how to use that one.

FireCop

Public Safety Grunt
Premium Subscriber
Amateur radio (aka, "Ham") is composed of set aside frequency bands for those who are "amateurs." In other words, they aren't professional bradcast stations, etc. It does require a license from the FCC. Check it out in the Wiki or Google it.

As far as other freqs for UNCC, 460.225 is their primary police freq. There are others in use in the UHF band (450 to 470 Mhz). Try using a search feature on your scanner for that band if the scanner has that feature.

The Pro 2067 should be a good trunking scanner to get you started. As of now, the Charlotte/Mecklenburg TRS uses mostly analog transmissions. The down side is this scanner may not work once the FCC mandated rebanding takes place in the 800 Mhz band. Again, look in the wiki for rebanding and trunking.

I hope this helps. I hope other RRers will chime in with info as well.

derekjmu

Premium Subscriber
There is very little public safety communications that are not on the TRS. UNCC Police are now on the Char/Meck TRS. I haven't heard much on 460.225 since they changed over less than 3 months ago.

Mecklenburg County Fire & EMS 1st Responder dispatch is simulcast on 156.165 MHz, but all scene ops channels are on the TRS. Paging can still be heard on 462.950, but not for much longer.

155.280 and 155.340 are used for mutual aid EMS communications with surrounding counties. 340 is primarily used for patient reports from non-Mecklenburg County ambulances to hospitals within Mecklenburg.

155.325 is MedCenter Air dispatch.

A lot of the other conventional frequencies listed for Meck County are either rarely used or have a very limited coverage area.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.