RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum

North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of North Carolina.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2009, 3:49 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default VHF Police Frequencies

Here in dare county the sheriffs have a radio for talking car to car, this isn't their normal frequencies(the ones listed on the site). The police call it the VHF radio but i'm not sure if it truly is.

I Have a marine VHF radio and use it on channel 71 allot. I have noticed that if they are sitting next to me in a vehicle i can pick up there conversation on and around marine channel 74 (156.725) and 77 (156.875).

Channel 75 and 76 isn't available on the marine radios but I assumed they would fall right in line and be, 156.77500 and 156.82500

I have been monitoring these frequencies and all i get is some static on .825

Bottom line, has anyone listed to a police frequencies like the one i am searching for?
Sponsored links
Old 01-29-2009, 9:43 AM

>> Channel 75 and 76 isn't available on the marine radios but I assumed they would fall right in line and be, 156.77500 and 156.82500

Marine VHF channel 16 is 156.800 MHz. The space between Marine channel 16 and channels 74 (below 16) and 77 (above 16) is vacant on-purpose as a "guard" band.

Guard bands are used throughout the radio spectrum as a way to reduce adjacent channel interference on emergency or weak-signal frequencies ... marine VHF 16 is the designated channel for requesting assistance with a boating emergency.

I presume you've not referring to hearing the officers using the UHF repeater channels in talk-around (simplex / non-repeated) mode ... which they do.

They may be using marine radios in the vehicles, although it would be illegal to transmit on the marine band from a land-based mobile environment.

They may also be using VHF radios to access the low-power, no-license MURS frequencies ... or may have access to a channel or talkgroup on a private radio system in the area.
Old 01-29-2009, 3:06 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'm headed back down there in a couple of weeks (Valentines day), I'll have all my gear and see what I can find...I know back last summer the local beach PD's were using a multitude of UHF simplex channels, 460.100, 460.300, 460.075, 460.175, 460.400, and many others which I found interesting because none of those at that time were in the FCC database anywhere pertaining to the towns or Dare County...
Uniden HP1, Pro 197 APX7000
Old 01-29-2009, 4:49 PM
KE4ZNR@radioreference.com
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayustud View Post
I'm headed back down there in a couple of weeks (Valentines day), I'll have all my gear and see what I can find...I know back last summer the local beach PD's were using a multitude of UHF simplex channels, 460.100, 460.300, 460.075, 460.175, 460.400, and many others which I found interesting because none of those at that time were in the FCC database anywhere pertaining to the towns or Dare County...
Charles,
Please let me know what you find out. I have a strong suspicion that what
xGROMx was hearing was intermod/bleedover rather than actual comms
on VHF Marine Freqs. Whatever you end up finding out will be a welcome
addition to the database.
Thanks!
Marshall KE4ZNR

@KE4ZNR on Twitter
http://instagram.com/KE4ZNR
Old 01-30-2009, 6:25 PM
Mike
Database Admin

You might try 155.1900 this is used for base to base interop in some towns and Dare does have a license on this freq, have you programmed the new trunk system in to see what acticity is there
Also an old freq that kept popping up from the local radio shack store was 155.010
Mike
Sponsored links
Old 02-13-2009, 7:01 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just returned from the Outer Banks, no mention of any of these "VHF" channels being used. I monitored lots of other traffic, especially in Currituck County as we drove up the shore all the way to False Cape State Park, Virginia. Band conditions were horrible despite the summer like weather. I stopped by the Carova Beach Fire Dept, the only fire station I've ever heard of that has no paved streets in their district! Everything I monitored was in the database, mostly VHF and UHF stuff, although there was a LOT of highway patrol VIPER activity. I also monitored a lot of "other" Viper activity or what I believe was Viper activity though none of the talk groups I caught were in the database so it may have been Virginia stuff? I was wanting to try & monitor the VA Stars system but left the frequencies at home, ugh! Headed back in mid March, we'll see what I can monitor then, should be a little more activity.
Uniden HP1, Pro 197 APX7000
Old 02-13-2009, 7:36 PM
KE4ZNR@radioreference.com
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Arrow

Charles,
Please PM or email your list of talkgroups that you received while down there...I will let ya know what they are and update the database where needed...only way the database is gonna stay accurate is if we make sure we catch talkgroups when they become active.
Thanks!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayustud View Post
Just returned from the Outer Banks, no mention of any of these "VHF" channels being used. I monitored lots of other traffic, especially in Currituck County as we drove up the shore all the way to False Cape State Park, Virginia. Band conditions were horrible despite the summer like weather. I stopped by the Carova Beach Fire Dept, the only fire station I've ever heard of that has no paved streets in their district! Everything I monitored was in the database, mostly VHF and UHF stuff, although there was a LOT of highway patrol VIPER activity. I also monitored a lot of "other" Viper activity or what I believe was Viper activity though none of the talk groups I caught were in the database so it may have been Virginia stuff? I was wanting to try & monitor the VA Stars system but left the frequencies at home, ugh! Headed back in mid March, we'll see what I can monitor then, should be a little more activity.

@KE4ZNR on Twitter
http://instagram.com/KE4ZNR
Old 02-14-2009, 12:19 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Used to be that some Marine channels were used for LE interop between USCG,
Marine Fisheries, DEA boats and Sheriff's boat patrols. Don't remember which ones though.
YMMV about them still being in use.
Old 02-22-2009, 5:32 PM
Mike
Database Admin

I have another idea 155.475 is lic for NCHP in Kitty Hawk will try next trip.
Sponsored links
Old 02-22-2009, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webodisk View Post
I have another idea 155.475 is lic for NCHP in Kitty Hawk will try next trip.
HP is only using low band and VIPER. You won't hear anything on there from HP. All of the repeaters we had in the cars have been taken out except for a couple counties at West who haven't had VIPER installed yet.
Old 08-02-2009, 3:06 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Webodisk:
The "new" truck system isn't used here. THere are only two repeaters installed and that was for testing only. With in two years the VIPER system will be 100% used here.

I'm still looking for it, remember this is used car to car only. Not repeated, and it wouldn't suprise me if it wasn't a licensed freq.

found nothing in these ranges:
156.7250 thru 156.8750 tested
156.8800 thru 157.0950 tested

Just programed the next run of numbers.

Murrayustud:
You were probably listening to VA talk groups. Only NCHP uses the VIPER here, and that depends were they are, they use the Sheriff freqs alot.