Uniden BCT15 good for Granville and Wake Counties?

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainstress

I just bought my first scanner, a Uniden BC370CRS analog desktop scanner. I'm already hooked listening to the various service calls this can pick up in my area. In fact, I'm surprised it picks up anything since I'm in a pretty rural area, outside of Youngsville, NC.

If I wanted to upgrade to a trunking scanner in the near future, would it be beneficial to wait until I can afford a digital one or would the Uniden BCT15 suffice? I noticed that Granville and Wake counties are on the VIPER system. However, the closest "major" town to me, Wake Forest, as 'D' listed in the Mode column of the frequency list on this website. I assume this means that only a digital scanner will pick them up. Is that right?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I just bought my first scanner, a Uniden BC370CRS analog desktop scanner. I'm already hooked listening to the various service calls this can pick up in my area. In fact, I'm surprised it picks up anything since I'm in a pretty rural area, outside of Youngsville, NC.

If I wanted to upgrade to a trunking scanner in the near future, would it be beneficial to wait until I can afford a digital one or would the Uniden BCT15 suffice? I noticed that Granville and Wake counties are on the VIPER system. However, the closest "major" town to me, Wake Forest, as 'D' listed in the Mode column of the frequency list on this website. I assume this means that only a digital scanner will pick them up. Is that right?

Welcome to RR.com!
My personal advice would be to hold off until you can afford a digital radio. The Town of Wake Forest does operate in Digital on VIPER and you are correct in that that is what the "D" stands for in the mode column. Granville County uses digital talkgroups on VIPER for day to day operations. More and more agencies are going to a digital format and that is something that will continue. When the upcoming digital Uniden BCD396xt comes out you will be able to find it's predecessor the also digital Uniden BCD396T on the secondary market at a good price. You can also find Radio Shack Pro 96 & 2096's on the secondary market as they are no longer manufactured. If you really want top of the line wait until the Uniden BCD396xt comes out (will be around $500) or you can purchase a Radio Shack Pro 106 for about the same price.
Hope this helps!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.