Guilford County Sheriff Going Digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
The Guilford county Sheriff's office will be using their part of the stimulus money to upgrade to digital radios.Exact date is unknown,but will be very soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

ki4rvh

Kannapolis and Concord are supposed to do the same with their stimulus money. No date yet on it either. I wonder if this will be a trend.

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
Most likely,i just wonder what other city's are going to be doing this.Database Admin are going to be busy updating

Gregg251

Premium Subscriber
Guilford co. SO going digital

I'm guessing they will be using new (or different) talk groups?

Thanks, Gregg

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
I hope not i dont see why they should switch.I have not heard about them switching i guess il talk to my buddy over at comm.and see

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
I know few guilford deputies, last year i looked at one of their radios, i notice or figured it was a UHF unit but it was i could say "sorta ugly" but a very sturdy radio, it looked like one of the police radios you would see from the late 80's or early 90's or something Raleigh police would of had.

I just couldnt tell what it was but it had a screen at the very top of it, wasnt an HT1000 or so... but if you know what im talking about, is it really UHF or VHF? I can always tell by antenna but eh...

JJones27320

Premium Subscriber
All the radios i've every seen at the Guilford County Sheriff Dept are MTS2000 II - and they were all analog. I would bet someone is confusing the fact that VIPER now has a digital sheriff tac channel for Guilford.

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
NO,they are going to be getting new radios(digital).Has not happen yet but its going to be soon.Has nothing to do with viper

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
I can't too much at this time but I can pass along that Guilford County is undergoing rebanding at this time so you can expect changes/system modifications while going through this process.
Marshall KE4ZNR

qlajlu

Silent Key
I'm guessing they will be using new (or different) talk groups?

Thanks, Gregg

I hope not i dont see why they should switch.I have not heard about them switching i guess il talk to my buddy over at comm.and see
You can expect those agencies going digital to be in new TGs. We have a mixed bag where most of the everyday business is carried on with analog traffic, but warrant service on a suspected location and stake outs, SWAT ops, etc are handled on digital. Those are completely separate TGs belonging to the same agencies. I suppose they could retain all the TGIDs converting them to 100% digital if they go 100% digital over the entire system, but I have not seen that happen so far when a system was originally analog.

Digital is not the panacea they expected. Fire departments are especially having trouble with digital comms because of deflected signals from the walls of structures. There have been claims of lives being lost because of this during a raging fire where fire crews were inside the buildings and did not get the word to evacuate. That could happen with any radio system, but it seem to be a bigger problem with digital.

ILMRadioMan

As a guy that works on Viper regularly, I gotta agree qlaj.

I realize digital is the way of the future. However, any radio guy with any sense can give you some obvious benefits of analog.

First and foremost being exactly what you said.

Going into a house and hearing evacuate, even though it is scratchy.

Or going into a house and hearing e(garble)cu(garble).

I love digital voice. I love its clarity. And the users I have love it too.

However in an optional case, like viper, I would thinking having at least 1 analog Ops/Tac/etc.. TG would be wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.