This is weird!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
I am in greensboro and i was listening to my Pro-106 when i was going through some of the pre-programmed trunk systems.I was scanning in Tennessee and to my surprise my scanner stop on the memphis-shelby Public safety system.I was listening to the ALLEN Memphis Police Dispatch - Old Allen(TG 48) and would you know thats what they were referring to each other as Allen.I was also able to hear the fire dept and some others.How could i be listening to a system in another state?

Last edited:

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
That means a trunked system close to you uses the same frequencies as the Memphis system. You were not hearing 600 miles away.

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
i did a search for the cc and the closest one with that same cc was 4 county away.Out of the couple of systems in nc that did use them chan.None had the same tg i was listening to or any others that was programmed.

Last edited:

wvscanner

Database Admin
I one time listen to Lenoir City and Caldwell County Police as I was stuck in traffic comming down Fancy Gap one time. I will have to try that again the next time I go thru there and see if I can get the viper on a skip from there as well.

CCHLLM

Can't 'splain the Memphis system reception thingie, but Caldwell County and Lenoir PD from the Fancy Gap area isn't skip, it's almost line-of-sight. I'd be very, very disappointed in my radio and antenna setup if it couldn't hear that. As for VIPER in that area, that wouldn't be skip either. Your radio should be able to hear numerous VIPER sites from there as several dozen are line-of-sight from the top of the "hill" on I-77.

Last edited:

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
I have listened to St Tammany Parish in LA from Jefferson County in MS, and have monitored Palmetto 800 from Asheville NC. 800 MHz ducting is extremely rare, but does happen if conditions are perfect.. I'd write the date and time down as you may never hear it again lol.

CCHLLM

There are several hot spots along the Blue Ridge Parkway and along the Outer Banx for listening and talking that seem to be in the ducting mode most of the time because the stations you can hear and talk to are over the horizon from you.

The Parkway pretty much runs the eastern side of the Blue Ridge escarpment, so everything east of there is "downhill". One of many examples is the Lewis Fork Overlook, the first one north of US421 at Deep Gap. Nothing unusual about hearing amateur and public safety stations on VHF, UHF, and high UHF (800 MHz) well into central and eastern NC and SC from there. Most evenings year round you can hear coastal stations if your rig and antenna are in good shape, and on really good days in the spring, summer, and early fall you can consistently talk 2M simplex and even 70 cm simplex as much as 150 - 200 air miles with a roof mounted gain antenna and 25 watts. A Yagi will give you more mileage at less power. I've worked a station outside Elizabethtown, NC from there on 440 MHz sideband simplex with a 9 element Yagi and 15 watts. I've consistently been there and heard Wilmington and New Hanover public safety UHF on a omni antenna in the days when UHF was primary in New Hangover. Even Mt Mitchell isn't as consistent. Imagine the sites your trunking scanner could identify from these locations.

The OBX ducting along the NC and SC coast will amaze you in the early mornings with things like being at Cape Hatteras on the point and working the Mt Mitchell 2M ham repeater, or the Greensboro 145.250/88.5 repeater from North Myrtle Beach.

HF is also pretty healthy from these places when other locations seem to be dead, and 6 and 10 meters are usually good, too. I've consistently heard the NCSHP 42 MHz transmitter on Mt Mitchell while driving along NC 12 on Hatteras Island, and the current one on Clingman's Peak is just about as consistent.

Last edited:

CCHLLM

There are several hot spots along the Blue Ridge Parkway and along the Outer Banx for listening and talking that seem to be in the ducting mode most of the time because the stations you can hear and talk to are over the horizon from you.

The Parkway pretty much runs the eastern side of the Blue Ridge escarpment, so everything east of there is "downhill". One of many examples is the Lewis Fork Overlook, the first one north of US421 at Deep Gap. Nothing unusual about hearing amateur and public safety stations on VHF, UHF, and high UHF (800 MHz) well into central and eastern NC and SC from there. Most evenings year round you can hear coastal stations if your rig and antenna are in good shape, and on really good days in the spring, summer, and early fall you can consistently talk 2M simplex and even 70 cm simplex as much as 150 miles with a roof mounted gain antenna and 25 watts. I've consistently been there and heard Wilmington and New Hanover public safety UHF in the days when UHF was primary there. Even Mt Mitchell isn't as consistent. Imagine the sites your trunking scanner could identify from these locations.

The OBX ducting along the NC and SC coast will amaze you in the early mornings with things like being at Cape Hatteras on the point and working the Mt Mitchell 2M ham repeater, or the Greensboro 145.250/88.5 repeater from North Myrtle Beach.

HF is also pretty healthy from these places when other locations seem to be dead, and 6 and 10 meters are usually good, too. I've consistently heard the NCSHP 42 MHz transmitter on Mt Mitchell while driving along NC 12 on Hatteras Island, and the current one on Clingman's Peak is just about as consistent.

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
Lets see, burlington runs off guilford counties systems as well but we have our own dispatch center, i could be in randolph county and still communicate back with alamance county and randolph is like maybe 2 counties away, thats not a bad range of travel but then again going up north to caswell county, its complete static, cant hear nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.