Rebanding in Guilford County Area?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qlajlu

Silent Key
I have been asked through a PM what to expect as the area is rebanded since the area I live in has already gone through it. Basically, if you have an edited trunking table (Custom Band plan) programmed into your scanner, all you will need to do is replace the old Control Channel frequency with the new one and everything should go as it did prior to the change.

The problem in your area now seems to be determining the new Control Channel frequency. We were quite lucky because we found out early on that all of the frequencies used by UCAN (the entity over the Utah statewide trunking system) would drop exactly 15 MHz. In trying to answer the PM sent to me earlier, I checked the 800 MHz Transition Administrator Web site by putting in the current CC frequency of 860.7625 and I get "Public Safety Licensees Only Reconfigured (they can opt out)" which tells me that your new CC cannot be calculated without inside information. Does anyone know what the proposed new CC will be?

By checking the FCC Database for Call Sign WPEM250 you get a whole box full of frequencies (four pages worth), any one of which could be called on to be the CC.

Personally, from what I have read in your forum here, you will weather this change without too much trouble, but I would keep your UniTrunker programs warmed up and ready to go to work to determine all the frequencies that will placed in service. Finding these things is what makes scanning so fun.

randyK

I was under the impression that only freqs in the 866.0000-868.9875 mhz segment were to be moved 15 Mhz lower. I figured the control freqs (855.000-860.9875) would stay the same. I guess I missed something, Randy

qlajlu

Silent Key
I was under the impression that only freqs in the 866.0000-868.9875 mhz segment were to be moved 15 Mhz lower. I figured the control freqs (855.000-860.9875) would stay the same. I guess I missed something, Randy

No, Randy, you did not necessarily miss anything at all. Under the 800 MHz Transition Administrator it did say that "Public Safety Licensees Only Reconfigured (they can opt out)" so it is possible that the CC will not change if they choose to opt out.

I might also mention that in browsing through the "new" frequencies assigned on the FCC Web site, I did not find one that has the despised and feared "0" (zero) in the fourth decimal place, so it might be possible for all of your scanners (even the old, non-flashable scanners) to continue working, edited trunking table or not.

Again, this is one of the things that makes scanning an interesting hobby, although it can get frustrating at times.

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
So what your saying is they could still keep the same cc and that the old radios could still work after rebanding?

No, Randy, you did not necessarily miss anything at all. Under the 800 MHz Transition Administrator it did say that "Public Safety Licensees Only Reconfigured (they can opt out)" so it is possible that the CC will not change if they choose to opt out.

I might also mention that in browsing through the "new" frequencies assigned on the FCC Web site, I did not find one that has the despised and feared "0" (zero) in the fourth decimal place, so it might be possible for all of your scanners (even the old, non-flashable scanners) to continue working, edited trunking table or not.

Again, this is one of the things that makes scanning an interesting hobby, although it can get frustrating at times.

RKG

So what your saying is they could still keep the same cc and that the old radios could still work after rebanding?

If a system has no channels (control or voice) above 866, and

If the system does not add any 851-855 channels with 12.5 kHz offsets (i.e., with "0" in the fourth digit); and

If the system does not change control channels, then

An "old" radio should continue to work just fine, since the channel numbers employed to define a channel grant will remain the same, whether or not the "rebanding" bit is true.

qlajlu

Silent Key

If a system has no channels (control or voice) above 866, and

If the system does not add any 851-855 channels with 12.5 kHz offsets (i.e., with "0" in the fourth digit); and

If the system does not change control channels, then

An "old" radio should continue to work just fine, since the channel numbers employed to define a channel grant will remain the same, whether or not the "rebanding" bit is true.
IF I am reading the 800 MHz Transition Manager Web site correctly, and IF the powers that are over your local PS system(s) opt out, there will probably be no change to the CC frequency(ies) since they are below the threshold requiring change.

Also, in browsing through the frequencies licensed to the Call Sign of WPEM250 I do not see any frequencies with a "0" (zero) in the fourth decimal place. The frequencies with a zero in the fourth decimal place are the frequencies that require the 12.5 kHz steps. Without those frequencies, scanners that operate on a 25 kHz step trunking table (default tables) will continue to scan correctly. Since your current CC can be "opted out" of the change, those of you who run in Open or Control Channel Only mode may not even realize a change has been made if they don't change the CC. Those who run in Closed Mode will have to program in the new voice frequencies.

I am going to issue a disclaimer and make a request at this point. What I have told you in my last few posts here is what I see by looking over the documents I can find and only apply to the radio system under Call Sign MPEM250. If you travel outside that area, all the rules change. I am not totally familiar with your system but I am comfortable making these statements. BUT PLEASE, if it doesn't work out that way, don't come hunting for me. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.