newbe to charlotte area

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtremetk

i have a uniden sportcat 200 and i was told i can not use it to scan charlotte mech. county. is there anyway i can do something to it or what is a cheap scanner that i can get that will work. i am new to the area

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
i have a uniden sportcat 200 and i was told i can not use it to scan charlotte mech. county. is there anyway i can do something to it or what is a cheap scanner that i can get that will work. i am new to the area

Welcome to RR.com! As I explained in the Uniden forum unfortunately the Sportcat 200 is a non-trunktracking scanner so it would not be able to handle the Charlotte Mecklenburg 800Mhz Motorola trunked system.
If you are looking for a Trunktracking radio that can handle Char-Meck at a decent price maybe check out the Uniden BC246t. It is a good scanner and you can now find it at a good price due to the Uniden BC346xt taking its place in Uniden's current lineup.
I would also recommend reading up on Trunking basics in the RR.com Wiki.
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

nitroboie

How much are you willing to spend? "Cheap" is a rather broad term.

You can get the Pro-97 for around $60 used or the BC246T for about $150 (if you're lucky). I have both of these, I prefer the 246T though as even with a stubby antenna, the reception is a lot better compared to the 97 with the 800mhz ant.

qball

Premium Subscriber
But, if you want to be able to monitor the new Charlotte digital system, that will come on line later this year, you will need a Uniden BCD296 or 396 or a Radio Shack/GRE Pro96 or PSR-500.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
But, if you want to be able to monitor the new Charlotte digital system, that will come on line later this year, you will need a Uniden BCD296 or 396 or a Radio Shack/GRE Pro96 or PSR-500.

Or maybe even a BCD396xt :D
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.