Scanning I-95 through North Carolina...

Status
Not open for further replies.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I'm planning another trip down south through North Carolina via I-95. What sites and talkgroups do I need to program in to the PSR-500 to monitor NC State Police along that route ? I'm guessing they utilize the VIPER system?

Also, any counties worth adding in along the way to keep me occupied ? I'm looking mostly at trunked 800 systems with decent coverage since I'll be using the handheld.

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
I-95? thats near the coast or mountains?

I can give you a few places that are worth listening to but i dont know which part of the state youll be in.

NCSHP still uses VHF in their cars i think but their portables are 800mhz analog. I dont there is anything in the database for them or i could be wrong.

Here are a few places you could try programming in that i know whom are operating on the 800Mhz.

Alamance "Burlington & Elon Police & Gibsonville"
Guilford "Greensboro Metro, High Point"
Wake "Raleigh Police, Cary, Wake Co Sheriffs I believe are on 800 too
Mecklenburg "Charlotte area, various departments, I dont know to much of the changes down their, maybe a charlotte local would know"

drewand

For I95 here are the counties (with the towns) you will pass through from North to South:
Northampton, Halifax (Roanoke Rapids), Nash (Rocky Mount), Wilson (Wilson), Johnston (Smithfield), Harnett (Dunn), Cumberland (Fayetteville), Robeson (Lumberton). You can hit the database for the counties/towns.

The NC State Highway Patrol uses VHF Low Band (primary) and VIPER. The stations usually simulcast on both.

For VIPER you want the TGs for: C1, C8, C5, C6, B1, B7, and B8 (The letter is the Troop, Number is District...Listed as Troop C, District 1 etc in the database). The sites have the county as part of their name.

Low Band Channels from the Highway Patrol section on the Crime Control & Public Safety database page: Ch 3&4, 11&12, 9&10 and 15&16.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.