Scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScanMan08

I have a Pro-164 scanner that I can't hear the local and surrounding counties like before. I live in Pitt County and would like to know where I may be able to purchase a scanner to cover all the local & Highway Patrol in this area and can if needed to.
Thanks

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
Highway patrol is on the Viper system for their portals but they are on the low band VHF on their mobiles in their sqaud cars.

The counties that surround you seems to be on VHF/UHF unless they already went into the Viper System, Im guessing your Pro-164 is a digital trunk scanner, you may have to program it using RR's database for whats programmed but i dont see why your not picking anything up but if your scanner is not a digital trunk scanner, you might want to look into a new one.

Here are a few i have looked for ya

Uniden® BCD996T Base/Mobile Digital Trunking Scanner - RadioShack.com

Uniden® BCD396T Compact Handheld Scanner - RadioShack.com

https://www.bearcatwarehouse.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=214

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
While I am sure C138Kaysone has good intentions at heart let me clear some stuff up:

The Radio Shack Pro-164 is an analog only scanner.
Pointing someone in the direction of Radio Shack for a Uniden Scanner is not the route to go. Radio Shack charges way more for a Uniden Scanner than anyone should ever pay. I would suggest looking at other Uniden vendors such as Scanner Master (great place!), The Ham Station, Grove Enterprises, etc....any of the 3 I list above are always going to be a better place to go to for Uniden products over Radio Shack....
Also: If you are considering a new Uniden handheld scanner you might want to go for the just released Uniden BCD396xt instead of the 396t...the 396xt is a much better value and all around better receiver than the 396t...
And considering that the NCSHP will be migrating from analog to digital talkgroups in the not to distant future a digital radio is something to consider indeed...
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Highway patrol is on the Viper system for their portals but they are on the low band VHF on their mobiles in their sqaud cars.

The counties that surround you seems to be on VHF/UHF unless they already went into the Viper System, Im guessing your Pro-164 is a digital trunk scanner, you may have to program it using RR's database for whats programmed but i dont see why your not picking anything up but if your scanner is not a digital trunk scanner, you might want to look into a new one.

Here are a few i have looked for ya

Uniden® BCD996T Base/Mobile Digital Trunking Scanner - RadioShack.com

Uniden® BCD396T Compact Handheld Scanner - RadioShack.com

https://www.bearcatwarehouse.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=214

RMPDCOP

Database Admin
I have a Pro-164 scanner that I can't hear the local and surrounding counties like before. I live in Pitt County and would like to know where I may be able to purchase a scanner to cover all the local & Highway Patrol in this area and can if needed to.
Thanks

ScanMan08, I have not been thru Pitt County or Greenville in about a month or two but last I checked they were still simulcasting on their VHF Channels.
Yes Pitt County has switched over to VIPER and Greenville, Ayden Grifton and Farmville PD's are starting to use VIPER more and more. So they to will be switching over shortly.
Please listen to Marshall about purchasing a Digital Scanner because you will need it, I have the 396XT also and it is a great little scanner especially for the Multi-Site System like VIPER.
Feel free to shoot me an email and when you purchase your new scanner I will help you get it up and running. brown_bg@earthlink.net

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
While I am sure C138Kaysone has good intentions at heart let me clear some stuff up:

The Radio Shack Pro-164 is an analog only scanner.
Pointing someone in the direction of Radio Shack for a Uniden Scanner is not the route to go. Radio Shack charges way more for a Uniden Scanner than anyone should ever pay. I would suggest looking at other Uniden vendors such as Scanner Master (great place!), The Ham Station, Grove Enterprises, etc....any of the 3 I list above are always going to be a better place to go to for Uniden products over Radio Shack....
Also: If you are considering a new Uniden handheld scanner you might want to go for the just released Uniden BCD396xt instead of the 396t...the 396xt is a much better value and all around better receiver than the 396t...
And considering that the NCSHP will be migrating from analog to digital talkgroups in the not to distant future a digital radio is something to consider indeed...
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

And god speaks :D Ill just stick with my walkies... scanners will soon be my friends someday.. until i can afford to get one but once i get a new walkie next year :D wont need a scanner but wouldnt hurt to have one if i travel outside of NC

Status
Not open for further replies.