onslow county / jacksonville police

Status
Not open for further replies.

miserytom

hey guys, has anyone noticed that the onslow county mot system has changed to a differant freq set?? anyone have the new set??

vanhemel

Thank you! I thought my BC796 scanner had died. I have searched, scanned, etc with no luck locating the JPD/Onslow County 800 trunked. I am waiting for the 8:15 am fire department radio check and I am going to search like crazy.

vanhemel

I searched and located JPD around 853.7875. Go to the FCC License Page and record the 85X.xxx frequencies for onslow county and jacksonville.

Robbyboy

Cat Herder
I will do research and get back to you later today... I noticed the same but have been so damn busy with work and family, havent had the opportunity to work this! Will let everyone know what I find!!

Cheers

Robbyboy

Cat Herder
Onslow County Rebanding

Just a cursory search (confirmed by PSR-500) shows that Onslow County has completed Rebanding. I should kick myself because I dont know how I ignored that fact... I will validate the data and update the database this weekend (Want to monitor to confirm this so I can post valid information).

Apparently, they rebanded, got their licence updated so its the same licence, but different frequencies. Their radio service changed as well. Will DEFINATELY need to get back in the habit of review applications again to keep abreast of this!!

I was in NYC when this change occurred as the licence is effective 14 April 2009.

Again I will update this over the weekend. Time to start looking at applications closely!

vanhemel

Thanks for the update! I updated the frequencies on the scanner banks and it is working fine. The talk groups appear to remain the same. JPD/JFD seem to have more static (my wife who hates the scanner commented on that). But that could be due to the atmosphere and location of the scanner when I was listening. There appears to be a number of other frequencies on the FCC record that they could use. What about the VIPER system?

Robbyboy

Cat Herder
VIPER/Onslow

Thanks for the update! I updated the frequencies on the scanner banks and it is working fine. The talk groups appear to remain the same. JPD/JFD seem to have more static (my wife who hates the scanner commented on that). But that could be due to the atmosphere and location of the scanner when I was listening. There appears to be a number of other frequencies on the FCC record that they could use. What about the VIPER system?

The short answer... Yea right... I know for a fact that they can easily link Onslow 800 to VIPER and have heard several agencies using it. Eastcare and SHP (on the Onslow system) to name some...

miserytom

it would be great if they would just put everything on viper and be done with it lol, ive also noticed alot of static on JPD, sometimes i get new hanover EMS clearer than JPD and i live in jvile lol CRANK UP THE POWER!!!

it would be great if they would just put everything on viper and be done with it lol, ive also noticed alot of static on JPD, sometimes i get new hanover EMS clearer than JPD and i live in jvile lol CRANK UP THE POWER!!!

I agree on the power issue. I live just to the south of Holly Ridge, and can barelyget the Onslow 800 system from the house. I can BARELY get them on a portable here in my yard.

New Hanover EMS pages on 155.280, they have a couple towers in New Hanover and they are ALWAYS loud and clear in this area, and up towards Wayne County as well....

Robbyboy

Cat Herder
Updates are in progress. Current Ctrl Channels are indicated, will be finishing up shortly. Ctrl channels are changing regularly it seems like (moreso than the old freqs)

Edit: Updates are complete. Will need to scrutinize ctrl channels but hopefully miserytom should survive ;)

Cheers

Last edited:

vanhemel

I have the three control channels you have posted, but I also have 0851.7875 and others in the 851.xxxx freq. EMS control (central dispatch) is 851.0625. Is there still activity in the 866-868.xxxx frequencies?
JPD/OCSD Signal strength varies with location around town and the atmosphere, this high pressure system is really increasing the range/skip.

keep up the good work.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Just getting back from Iraq and catching up on some stuff when I noticed none of my radios were following the Jacksonville system. I fired up UniTrunker and come to find out, the system was not "rebanded" in the traditional sense, but just had a frequency change. I know this due to the data shown on UniTrunker and the fact that once reprogrammed, all of my legacy radios function 100%. So even that old STX821 is still working :)

If it were a true reband, then the old STX821 would not function.

Edit: After running UniTrunker for a couple of days, I still see no activity on the old 866-868.xxxx frequencies.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Just getting back from Iraq and catching up on some stuff when I noticed none of my radios were following the Jacksonville system. I fired up UniTrunker and come to find out, the system was not "rebanded" in the traditional sense, but just had a frequency change. I know this due to the data shown on UniTrunker and the fact that once reprogrammed, all of my legacy radios function 100%. So even that old STX821 is still working :)

If it were a true reband, then the old STX821 would not function.

Edit: After running UniTrunker for a couple of days, I still see no activity on the old 866-868.xxxx frequencies.

Welcome home.

What happened with the Jacksonville system is defined as rebanding ... it involved moving off the NPSPAC frequencies, and moving to frequencies 15 MHz below the previous NPSPAC assignments.

The reason the STX still works it that all the previous - and current - system frequencies end in .xxx5. The channel numbers assigned to those frequencies are in the firmware. The splinter frequencies ... those ending in .xxx0 ... are the ones the STX firmware would not recognize.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I was under the impression that the radios would require a firmware uplift (the FLASHPort radios) due to a new trunking table that would be used. I guess I was assuming that ALL rebanded systems would make "all" radios obsolete. Never thought about them using non-splinter frequencies and allowing the old legacy radios to continue to work.

Man, I learned something new today. Thanks for the clarification.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
I was under the impression that the radios would require a firmware uplift (the FLASHPort radios) due to a new trunking table that would be used. I guess I was assuming that ALL rebanded systems would make "all" radios obsolete. Never thought about them using non-splinter frequencies and allowing the old legacy radios to continue to work.

Man, I learned something new today. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm not saying they didn't upgrade and / or replace their radios. If eligible, it might have been foolish for them not to undergo rebanding through the Nextel agreement.

At some point, Jacksonville will have a need to operate on .xxx0 frequencies ... for mutual aid, access to Viper or another agency's system, etc.

I'm simply saying your STX, some older two-ways, and scanners that cannot be programmed with custom tables should still be able to monitor the Jacksonville system as long as they only use the .xxx5 frequencies.

After all, we were able to monitor the Motorola trunked systems licensed on these same frequencies ... before Nextel acquired the frequencies from the F.C.C.

Status
Not open for further replies.