Holy Cow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9WA

Premium Subscriber
My how the times have changed in scanner-land...

I managed to bring home the BCD396T scanner (what an awesome piece of equipment - very impressive just to look at) and have spent the better part of 2 days and nights trying to figure this thing out.

Sad to say that I'm a lifelong IT person, so I'm definitely not scared of computers, and I had no problem blasting frequencies into my old Pro-95... but this Uniden monster has me re-thinking things!

I've even tried the "easy" way out - I'm a paid member and have let the software packages work their magic in pulling freqs for me. Guess I told it I wanted too much, because both packages rejected my selections, and I'm back to square 1.

There will be a glorious feeling of satisfaction when I finally beat this thing! lol.

Thanks for letting me vent - now back to the manuals, FAQs, and a myriad of instructional pages...

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
If nothing else you can always head up to Raleigh and attend one of the Tarheel Scanner/Shortwave Radio Group meetings. We always welcome new "radio geeks". We meet on the 3rd Monday of each month at the Red, Hot & Blue Restaurant in Raleigh.
Red Hot and Blue
Dinner starts around 6:30pm and meeting starts around 7:30pm.
Or If you want to drive up to Raleigh one day I can try to meet up with ya and help ya get things up and running.
Just let me know.
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR
"Fellow IT Geek"

My how the times have changed in scanner-land...

I managed to bring home the BCD396T scanner (what an awesome piece of equipment - very impressive just to look at) and have spent the better part of 2 days and nights trying to figure this thing out.

Sad to say that I'm a lifelong IT person, so I'm definitely not scared of computers, and I had no problem blasting frequencies into my old Pro-95... but this Uniden monster has me re-thinking things!

I've even tried the "easy" way out - I'm a paid member and have let the software packages work their magic in pulling freqs for me. Guess I told it I wanted too much, because both packages rejected my selections, and I'm back to square 1.

There will be a glorious feeling of satisfaction when I finally beat this thing! lol.

Thanks for letting me vent - now back to the manuals, FAQs, and a myriad of instructional pages...

N9WA

Premium Subscriber
Hey Marshall -

I actually drive to RTP / Durham daily, as I work up there, and I'll definitely try to make a meeting, as I can't turn down BBQ!!

I spent a few more hours of "quality time" with the BCD396T last night, and I'm at least scanning today - w00t! Don't know if I did things properly, or just well enough to hear a little, but it's a vast improvement over what I WAS hearing, which was nothing!

Now I just have to figure why some of the alpha tags don't work. I have them in the radio, in a group under the system I'm scanning, and instead of the alpha tag, I get the TGID. Other tags in the same group work fine. Oh well - gives me a puzzle for this evening! :)

Thx for the heads up on the meetings - looking forward to it!

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Heck I work in Durham (Hillsborough Rd/Cole Mill Rd) so let me know and we can meet sometime for lunch.
I don't think you listed which software package you are using but I recommend Freescan due to ease of use. You can even import into Freescan from most other software packages.
ScanNow.org - The Home of FreeSCAN!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Hey Marshall -

I actually drive to RTP / Durham daily, as I work up there, and I'll definitely try to make a meeting, as I can't turn down BBQ!!

I spent a few more hours of "quality time" with the BCD396T last night, and I'm at least scanning today - w00t! Don't know if I did things properly, or just well enough to hear a little, but it's a vast improvement over what I WAS hearing, which was nothing!

Now I just have to figure why some of the alpha tags don't work. I have them in the radio, in a group under the system I'm scanning, and instead of the alpha tag, I get the TGID. Other tags in the same group work fine. Oh well - gives me a puzzle for this evening! :)

Thx for the heads up on the meetings - looking forward to it!

N9WA

Premium Subscriber
Heck I work in Durham (Hillsborough Rd/Cole Mill Rd) so let me know and we can meet sometime for lunch.
I don't think you listed which software package you are using but I recommend Freescan due to ease of use. You can even import into Freescan from most other software packages.
ScanNow.org - The Home of FreeSCAN!
Marshall KE4ZNR

I work near the intersection of Hwy 54 and Hwy 55. Or, possibly more familiar, the intersection of 147 and I-40 is nearby as well.

I've loaded them all in order to try them, and to import different files I've found on the 'net. That gave me a little help with seeing how people were putting things together.

Currently, I had kind of settled on ProScan, but only during the trial, as the price tag is steeeeeep! I can easily pull the config down into Freescan tho..

David

Status
Not open for further replies.