Going to Nags Head

Status
Not open for further replies.

richrisdon

Premium Subscriber
I am heading to Nags Head in a few Weeks from Alexandria Virginia. the last time I was there was 50 years ago. I have a Radio Shack PRO-96 Digital Trunking Scanner, and would like to listen to the local police, fire, and Highway Patrol. I have found the following without a problem: Dare County, Manteo, Duck, Nags Head Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk, Southern Shores in the Database but not sure how to program the Highway Patrol. All I remember was that 50 years ago all I saw the Troopers do was sit in their HQ, they only had 1 or 2 troopers there next to the Carolinian Hotel (Not sure of the Name it was a large hotel in Kill Devel Hills). Not even sure if the Hotel is still their. Please Advise if it is even worth programming my scanner..

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Go to N.C's database and then the statewide section on the front page. The NCHP is under Dept. of Crime Control & Public Safety. You may also want to program the VIPER trunked system in your digital scanner. Select the CC's for Dare & Hyde.

You might notice some change from the Nags Head that used to be there. Enjoy your stay!

Todd

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
Come to think of it, you also may want to add Currituck County to your scanner. You'll most likely be traveling in on Rt. 168/ 158 and that's Currituck until you hit the bridge.

richrisdon

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the information, this might sound dumb but will i need to set up a seperate banks for each Dare County Bodie Island, Dare County Bodie Island, and Hyde County Belhaven?

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
It doesn't sound dumb to me... in fact I was waiting for someone else to answer that has used a Pro-96. My PSR-500 has a "Roam" option for multi-site systems, but I am not sure about a Pro-96.

I am also going to take a Pro-95 or 97 with me when I go in Sept. Your question got me thinking about how I am going to program (analog TG's) VIPER on those scanners. I think I am going to include all of the relative sites, and lock out the ones not used when I am stationary- but I don't know if that is the answer, either.

Todd

richrisdon

Premium Subscriber
Not sure what a PSR-500 has a "Roam" option is but with the Pro96 you have 10 banks for scanning. the only requirement i found was that when you program a bank of Freq. you can only program a system wuth only one Control Channel. What i have done For the Washington DC area is i have set each bank with a city (Alexandria, Fairfax, Washington DC,) we have all switched to Digitial Trunking and the Pro 96 is great for that. I listen a lot to Alexandria Va Police whick is in the 800 Mg rand and i added Va State(159.000) in the same Bank It picks up both great. I hope this helps you, I am pretty new to this type of scanning....

richrisdon

Premium Subscriber
In case you are interested the Scanner runs around $500.00 from Radio Shack and i used a software program called Win96 to program the scanner. the software can be downloaded at Software for RadioShack PRO-series (PRO-92, 93, 95, 96, 97, 99, 163, 164, 106, 197) and GRE PSR-series (PSR-500, 600, 300, 400) scanners they have a free copy (30 days then it stopps working til you pay the $30.00. But its worth it . I am in the process of using the software now to upload the Nags Head police an Fire as well as the VIPER trunked system. This is why i believe i need to use 3 banks for the VIPER trunked system because it looks like each group will have its own control group...

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
The "Roam" on the 500 searches for the control channel w/ the strongest signal.

Try downloading VIPER sites for Dare, Hyde and Pasquatank Co's. I think you will be good to go from anywhere in the OBX area with those. W/ the Pro-96 I think I would use only one bank. In other words, program the cc's into the same bank along with the TG's. Manually select the strongest CC and lockout the rest. In this case, it is o.k. to have more than one CC per bank because it is the same system and same talkgroups.

You might also go back to N.C.'s forum and look on the main page for the sticky of VIPER. There is a lot of discussion. Someone probably has a Win96 file already made up they would be willing to post or PM you (hopefully w/ the OBX area). I know there are people there that use the 96 and monitor VIPER regularly, so they can probably be of very good help.

Hope this helps! By the way, when are you going?

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
You can program multiple sites of the same system in the same bank, and scan each site for activity, without having to lock out individual control channels.

Simply separate the control frequencies for each site with 1 or 2 conventional frequencies ( I use 2 ).

With a system like Viper, I use the ITAC and conventional low band NCHP frequencies as spacers for Viper site control channels. You can also use local fire or ems conventional channels you want to monitor as you are listening to Viper.

This "trick" will not work with either the pre- or post-DMA Uniden scanners.

yardbird

Currituck & Dare Counties both use Highway Patrol Channels 17 & 18

42.720 Cars
42.920 Base

Don't know what the signal strenghts are like. I went down two years ago and had my LB Mt-1000 on channel 17 as priority and got a few beeps when the priority was hit. Other that that not much voice traffic.

You might also want to program 42.220 Mhz in as well. There maybe a special operations or troopers using Lidar.

Might also help to program the East Lake, Rodanthe, Kitty Hawk, and Bodie Island Viper Sites. And program the talkgroups in for Highway Patrol Troop A, District 1.

The reason I say this is I was messing around the other day with my BCD-396 Digital Scanner and was monitoring Viper Group Zone 5. well I started to pick-up talkgroups in Raleigh on the Id Search.

I was near Charlotte. I said darn this must be a good system if I can listen to Raleigh which was 121 miles away.

Hope this helps,

David

Status
Not open for further replies.