Need help with NCSHP VHF programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennisjamesnc

Hey guys,

I'm hoping someone can clear this up for me. I've got a two part question;

1. I'm trying to program in the NCSHP VHF frequency for Wake county. Looking at this page. Here is the information I get. Department of Crime Control and Public Safety Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Frequency = 42.60000 Mhz
Tone = 73.8PL
Alpha tag = 6
Description = Channel 6 Base
Mode = FM
Tag = Law TAC

My question is; What do I do with that "Tone = 73.8PL" information ? I see no place in the conventional objects to input this information.

2. It seems like every time I go to program in a conventional object the RR.com page never tells me the "squelch mode" or "squelch code". How do I figure out what the "squelch mode" and "squelch code" are ?

Thanks in advance for your help !

Dennis James

kg4pbd

Depending on what scanner you are using you may be able to program a PL code along with the frequency. Basically a PL code is a sub-audible tone sent whenever the unit transmits, that opens the squelch on the other radios on the system. This way multiple agencies can share a frequency without having to hear each other.

dennisjamesnc

Depending on what scanner you are using you may be able to program a PL code along with the frequency. Basically a PL code is a sub-audible tone sent whenever the unit transmits, that opens the squelch on the other radios on the system. This way multiple agencies can share a frequency without having to hear each other.

I have a Grecom PSR500 and I'm using WIN 500 to program it. I just don't see anywhere to put in a "PL" code.

Dennis

kg4pbd

I sounds like your question is more related to how to program the pl tone.

I can't help you with that radio or software, you may want to post your question in the GRE forum or the Programming Software forum.

Drafin

I have a Grecom PSR500 and I'm using WIN 500 to program it. I just don't see anywhere to put in a "PL" code.

Dennis

"Squelch code" field for the PL tone.

Draf

edit: and since you are a premium subscriber you could just click on file --> Web Import --> Radio Reference --> Conventional Systems
then put in your information and import them and not have to worry if you got them right or not. :)

edit2: and by the way PL=CTCSS, DPL=DCS, CSQ=None, NAC=DIgital P25. All of these are the modes.

Last edited:

dennisjamesnc

"Squelch code" field for the PL tone.

Draf

edit: and since you are a premium subscriber you could just click on file --> Web Import --> Radio Reference --> Conventional Systems
then put in your information and import them and not have to worry if you got them right or not. :)

edit2: and by the way PL=CTCSS, DPL=DCS, CSQ=None, NAC=DIgital P25. All of these are the modes.

Draf,

Now that last line was very helpful. The light bulb came on.
1. When I see a squelch code that has a "PL" suffix, I know that this will always be a CTCSS squelch mode.
2. If I see a squelch code that has a "DPL" suffix, I know that will always be a DCS squelch mode.
3. If I see a squelch code that is a 3 digit hexadecimal code, I know that will always be a NAC squelch mode.

Thanks you, thank you, thank you !

The light bulb is on !

Dennis

C138NC

Tactical Taco Consumer
Since this thread is up, do they still use their High Band VHF Frequency layouts or are they pretty much quiet and using the 800Mhz more then whats in the car?

dennisjamesnc

Since this thread is up, do they still use their High Band VHF Frequency layouts or are they pretty much quiet and using the 800Mhz more then whats in the car?

I live in Wake county and I'm getting about 25 or 30 hits a day on the VHF low band (42.6000 MHz), but nothing on the 155.4450 or 154.6800 MHz high band (Car to Car). I can't really say if I'm getting any hits on the 452.0000 to 462.0000 MHz high band. I don't live close enough to any of those areas where those frequencies are used to tell.

Dennis

jthorpe

I live in Wake county and I'm getting about 25 or 30 hits a day on the VHF low band (42.6000 MHz), but nothing on the 155.4450 or 154.6800 MHz high band (Car to Car). I can't really say if I'm getting any hits on the 452.0000 to 462.0000 MHz high band. I don't live close enough to any of those areas where those frequencies are used to tell.

Dennis

We don't use VHF high or UHF out here anymore. It's either low band or 800mhz. A lot of us have 800mhz in the cars now so those of us who have it rarely use low band anymore as well.

They may still use it out West, but I have yet to meet a Trooper who has any kind of UHF or VHF capability other than to listen to local agencies who haven't switched.

nitroboie

We don't use VHF high or UHF out here anymore. It's either low band or 800mhz. A lot of us have 800mhz in the cars now so those of us who have it rarely use low band anymore as well.

That's how the H-5 troopers operate as well. I'm about 5 minutes from the office so I catch quite a bit of traffic on low band. For car-to-car, they just use the dispatch channel (42.38) since the dispatch only monitors 42.58, 800 and mutual-aid.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
I believe 154.680 is still in the H3 / H5 console at Monroe. In the past, it's been used by the telecommunicators at Monroe and Newton to talk to each other when pursuits on I-77 will cross the troop boundary near milemarker 31.

I don't know if they are monitoring 24 / 7, but one of the Monroe telecommunicators also gets the pleasure of checking in a little after 3 a.m. daily for a radio check with agencies in SCHP district 4 on the Special Events 4 talkgroup on Palmetto 800.

Flyham

Ncshp vhf high band

In another better late than never post.
There are 3 channels in the NCSHP VHF Highband plan the are "repeater channels" all 3 use 154.680 as an output with the difference being the input freq for each repeater. In the Greensboro Area we have access to HighBand Repeater Ch 3 (Cane Mtn) and Highband 7 (Sauratown Mtn). Of course 154.680 can be used as Car-Car channel for the units that still have those radios installed.

Clear as Mud?

K4NWJ

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.