Rocky Mount TRS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kscott

Premium Subscriber
I noticed this morning that while scanning, my GRE PSR500 was skipping over the Rocky Mount control channel. Tuning directly to the CC it was broadcasting with no CC data rumbling. Just an open carrier. Since Rocky Mount randomly changes CC's I have all ten frequencies programmed in. Scrolling through these I can pick up talkgroup broadcasts that show the original TGID info. I suspect that they may be operating in some type of maintenance mode. Has anyone seen something like this?

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
The system may be in failsoft mode, or they are doing maintenance related to rebanding.

With regards to rebanding, make sure you have 12 frequencies, rather than the 10 in the RR database, programmed for the system ( the F.C.C. ULS database shows that 854.1625 and 854.7125 are also licensed to the system ).

( With the PSR500, listen to the two frequencies above in conventional mode to hear whether either is carrying the control data. If so, enter it in the system as a control frequency. The above paragraph doesn't apply if using control-channel-only programming of a system or site. )

Failsoft is a Motorola feature that causes talkgroups to go to a specific frequency - or home channel - when there is a controller problem. For instance, city police dispatch might remain on 858.7625, while city fire might be assigned to stay on 857.2625. There may be numerous talkgroups assigned to the same frequency, so there is sometimes some confusion among users sharing a frequency ... but it's better than no communications at all.

If the system is in Failsoft mode, you will still hear activity if you manually check each system frequency.

Last edited:

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
With regards to rebanding, make sure you have 12 frequencies, rather than the 10 in the RR database, programmed for the system ( the F.C.C. ULS database shows that 854.1625 and 854.7125 are also licensed to the system ).

I updated the database listing and added the above 2 frequencies.
Marshall KE4ZNR

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
I updated the database listing and added the above 2 frequencies.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Thanks, Marshall. I wasn't about to submit them, simply because I cannot confirm they are actually being used by the system. Everyone who uses the ULS comes to realize that sometimes it contains errors, or that some of the system frequencies are actually being used in conventional mode only.

Kscott might be able to help with the confirmation, though.

kscott

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, Marshall. I wasn't about to submit them, simply because I cannot confirm they are actually being used by the system. Everyone who uses the ULS comes to realize that sometimes it contains errors, or that some of the system frequencies are actually being used in conventional mode only.

Kscott might be able to help with the confirmation, though.

Yes, something is definitely changed with the Rocky Mount TRS. The CC is now on 854.7125.

emoorenc35

RM problems

I had the same problems today myself. Scanner was not picking up the RM ID groups but would pick it up if you took it off trunking and scanned the frequencies. I put the two frequencies above in, and it started picking up again.

Unit475

Kscott

Rocky Mount has done some work to the system over the past month. They added a new control that I have found is mainly used at night "854.7125" witch has already been posted.

The Fire Dept has added a new firegrounds fleet as well.
If you are would like it ill get it for you and post it when I get home...

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Kscott

Rocky Mount has done some work to the system over the past month. They added a new control that I have found is mainly used at night "854.7125" witch has already been posted.

The Fire Dept has added a new firegrounds fleet as well.
If you are would like it ill get it for you and post it when I get home...

I amended the database site listing so that it shows 854.7125Mhz as an alternate Control Channel (CC).
Marshall KE4ZNR

Unit475

New Fire Fleet Should be:

DEX: 11408
Description: Nash Fire TAC-A Link
Silmulcast with VHF 155.820 MHz

Used when the City of Rocky Mount mutual aids a Nash County Fire Dept.
County units do not have 800 MHz radios as the city fire service dose.
This channel is now the primary fire ground TAC when any Nash County fire
dept is dispatched with the city fire dept or holds a training with the city fire dept.

That should do it for now as far as I know all other Rocky Mount info is up to date....

Status
Not open for further replies.