Winston-Salem Officer Condition Deteriorated

Status
Not open for further replies.

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
Winston-Salem, NC -- Saturday night city spokesperson, Ed McNeal told WFMY News 2 that Sgt. Mickey Hutchens condition had worsened since the last update Friday. McNeal said he could not disclose any other details about the officer's condition. On Sunday morning, McNeal said that condition remains the same.
WFMY News 2 also spoke with Hutchens' Pastor, Ray Davis, after rumors started circulating Saturday evening that Hutchens had died. Pastor Davis said the rumors were false.
Winston-Salem Police Chief, Scott Cunningham told the media Friday afternoon, during a news conference, that Sgt. Mickey Hutchens still had a long road ahead. He said a neurosurgeon at Baptist Hospital told them Hutchens condition is 'critical' and 'grave'.

Cunningham said Hutchens is able to open his eyes, but is on life-support machines due to his heavy medication. He isn't currently able to speak.

Sgt. Hutchens and Officer Daniel Clark were both shot Wednesday morning after responding to a domestic violence issue at the Bojangles' on Peters Creek Parkway.

The suspect, Monte Evans, shot Officer Clark twice, once in the torso and again near the neckline. Cunningham says he believes a bullet-proof vest saved Clark's life.

Sgt. Hutchens was shot once in the head. Chief Cunningham said that all the shooting took place in the creek bed behind Bojangles', within six feet of each other. The officers were unaware that Evans had a gun.

During the media briefing, Cunningham revealed a third officer was at the scene during the shooting, but was not involved in any weapon discharging.

City Official: Sgt. Hutchens' Condition Has Deteriorated | digtriad.com | Triad, NC | Local News

Last edited:

kendrik578

Live Audio Administrator
Database Admin
Sgt. Hutchens Passes

Sgt. Mickey Hutchens of the Winston-Salem Police Dept. passed away today at 6:56pm.

Winston-Salem Police Sergeant Mickey Hutchens has died from injuries he sustained during a shootout with a suspect last week.
Police chief Scott Cunningham made the announcement during a press conference on Monday night.

A spokesperson with the City of Winston-Salem said Hutchens condition began to deteriorate on October 10. A neurosurgeon at Baptist Hospital previously said Hutchens was "critical" and "grave" condition, according to police.

More Info: Winston-Salem Police Sargeant Mickey Hutchens Has Died | digtriad.com | Triad, NC | Local News

View attachment 25597

Last edited:

FireCop

Public Safety Grunt
Premium Subscriber
In Memoriam

I attended the funeral and burial. It is always sad to help lay to rest a fallen brother. Events such as these remind us of our mortality and the brevity of life. It drives the point further home when I realize that this easily could have been a funeral for my youngest brother who is WSPD (currently in Afghanistan with US Army), my middle brother who is a NC State Park Ranger, or myself (the oldest) with a certain local law enforcement agency in an unnamed county. Let us continue to fight the good fight and honor our fallen brother who sought to impact lives in a positive way. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.