Multiple Systems using the same TGIDs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drafin

I have a PSR500 and I travel a bit in NC. The Viper system has a few TGs that I would like to put in multiple "sites". Is there a way to do this withour creating new objects that are identical.

My example is this;

I have a Viper system programmed with the local CCs I can receive called Viper Home. Let's say I want to travel to another part of the state that uses the SHP Events TGIDs. Well they are already in the scanner with the local CCs but I want to put in the CCs for where I am traveling to as a new system.

I create Viper East (for the eastern part of the state) with the local CCs to that area in there. Now can I just use the old TGIDs and associate them with the new system (if so how) or do I have to create new objects with the same TGIDs for the new system?

Draf

bcradio

Database Admin
If you want to create the new sites into a new system, you'll need to create new talkgroup objects associated with the new system.

A shortcut would be to go to the talkgroup you wish to duplicate, go program, DUPE, and change the system to the new one.

I have a Viper system programmed with the local CCs I can receive called Viper Home. Let's say I want to travel to another part of the state that uses the SHP Events TGIDs. Well they are already in the scanner with the local CCs but I want to put in the CCs for where I am traveling to as a new system.

I create Viper East (for the eastern part of the state) with the local CCs to that area in there. Now can I just use the old TGIDs and associate them with the new system (if so how) or do I have to create new objects with the same TGIDs for the new system?
Draf

Drafin

That's what I figured.

It would be great if you could just use the existing TGs that already there and associate them with both systems somehow. Seems a waste to have TGs that are identical except for what TSYS they are associated with.

Draf

RolnCode3

I don't own one, but isn't this just SmartZone operation? Can't you specify multiple sets of control channels for one set of talkgroups - then have the scanner figure out which zone to listen to?

Page 68 of the PSR-600 (it was the first one I found) talks about "multi-site:roam" (or stat) functionality. Would that do what he's looking for? Then he just puts in all of the control channels he is interested in, and he's good, right?

Or does this not work because he wants completely separate system names?

Sorry for dropping in from the left coast, but it seemed more a GRE question than a NC question.

Drafin

Well it actually could work that way, but you have the limitation of 32 CCs. I travel all over the state and there are many more than 32 CCs that i come in contact with.

I was hoping to be able to break the state down into about 4 different systems (with 18 or 20 CCs each) without having to duplicate the TGs so as not to eat up so much memory.

Draf

guitarbrian30

Draf- I have that same problem In south dakota. Yeah go figure that one out no one is here except for radio towers.

I set up two v-files one for east and west. Then I break down the scan list according to county(section), I place all state TGRP's along with counties in the same list. Makes for some crazy looking lists at times. I then can place all towers on the scanner, then when I cross my border(river) I load the new v-file and tada. In a few mins. up and running again.

Not sure how busy your area is. Just make sure you set one scan list with ALL Talk groups scanned including wildcards. The state is always adding something here. Makes a great way to log information too.

The Roam feature works great cruising around at 70 mph. I use it and it works for me. Test it out with different % HI and % LOW you will have to find that sweet spot:)

Hope this helps you out some. I know that scan list idea has eased some confusion for my co-pilot too.

Drafin

The V Folder route is the one I had resigned myself to.

Now I just have to get everything separated out into the areas I roam around in. :)

Draf

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
That's what I figured.

It would be great if you could just use the existing TGs that already there and associate them with both systems somehow.

Draf

Not to start a Uniden vs GRE debate but this is where Uniden's Multi-Site Trunking really shines...I enter all 3500+ VIPER talkgroups once then add as many VIPER sites to that one TGID list as I want...works great :)

Does look like you are on the right path now though Draf.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Searay

Premium Subscriber
Not to start a Uniden vs GRE debate but this is where Uniden's Multi-Site Trunking really shines...I enter all 3500+ VIPER talkgroups once then add as many VIPER sites to that one TGID list as I want...works great :)

Does look like you are on the right path now though Draf.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Agreed! Especially when using the GPS feature on the 996. Scans much faster since you only scan CC within a set range of you location.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.