NC Forest Service Low Band Channels

Status
Not open for further replies.

RohnsRadio

Premium Subscriber
just wondering are the low band channels still being used? all the ranger trucks i see have high band antennas on them. last time i was at the airport in kinston i saw hi-band ant on all the cars and trucks.

like i said just wondering.

trumpetman

Database Admin
I don't think I've ever heard traffic on the low band channels, even up in the mountains. One of the rangers I spoke with about 2 weeks ago said that they had a VHF-High in the truck and an 800 portable for the Char/Meck system. He said that was the way it was for most if not all trucks in the D12.

I've only noticed a single whip, likely VHF-High (but I'm no expert), back home on the D1 trucks in Asheville as well.

Last edited:

RohnsRadio

Premium Subscriber
as a general rule of thumb Low Band 6 - 8 foot whips
High Band 20- 18 Inches
UHF 6- 8 inches
800 3 inches

as i said "rule of thumb" these are 1/4 wave antennas . gain antennas are differnt . but lets not confuse things.

if you dont know please ask , someone will help you learn

WA4MJF

A few weeks ago we had a plow out here in Eastern Wake to cut some lines on a forest fire and the low band whip was on the plow and the tractor that hauls the plow and trailer. Maybe they use them or maybe they just don't bother to take them off.

RMPDCOP

Database Admin
All traffic heard here in District 05 is on VHF, including Forestry Planes. All of the newer vehicles have VHF Gain antennas with a MOTRBO installed. Most of the older equipment still has the Low Band Antenna but I have never heard them use the channels.
Maybe they still keeping them for a backup system if the VHF fails. Maybe someone in the know will chime in.

CCHLLM

VHF high band analog in narrowband or soon-to-be-narrowband is the working radio system for NCFS, and some of the NCFS personnel are carrying VIPER radios because of the NCFS responsibilities in NIMS responses. Some of the private forestry cooperators may still be on low band, hence the retention of the low banders for continued comms in the areas where those timber companies have their plantations and have fire control equipment of their own.

The Southeastern Forestry Compact, made up of the forestry units of the various SE states, uses VHF high band 151 and 159 MHz freqs, and the SE Compact Common Channel is 159.285 csq. They also have the national 154.265, 154.280, and 154.295 csq wideband/narrowband channels as well as the rest of the national narrowband fire common mutual aid channels in the 154 MHz range for use with local FD comms.

These are the bits and pieces I have. Somebody else here is bound to know more.

Last edited:
plows and tractors still have and use lo band here in SE coastal NC....

lo band fire reports from fire towers down here used to be a regular feature, but no more....

Status
Not open for further replies.