New freq popped up while listening.... (OBX)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KX4KDH

Database Admin
I was listening to some traffic on the Beach Law freq (460.4750), and a bunch of Kill Devil Hills cops were trying to surround the KMart waiting for some guy to come out. Something about a schedule violation.

Then, a freq not listed on the database came up with two cops who were involved in the same incident. (155.6700). I am guessing they were Dare County Drug task force guys, or something. One of them said he was in a black pickup truck. I know for a fact that the DCDTF has a black Chevy pickup.

Has anyone on the Outer Banks heard traffic on this channel?

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
Possibly what you heard was comms on 155.6625 MHz. The Department of Corrections typically uses the channel for handheld use during prison movements inside and outside the facilities, although the facility in Harnett Co has a repeater outputting on the frequency.

One of the previous (expired) licenses that covered statewide low power use on the frequency stipulated that the channel would also be used by the DOC special operations units.

I presume, in the situation you monitored, that someone went AWOL from a DOC facility, and someone else spotted him / her at the K-Mart. I wonder if they had a different color overalls in his size ?

WPNT585 (expired) / WQCF295 / WQGJ309

KX4KDH

Database Admin
Okay, after hearing it again, and having the scanner in my car, I went to a place they were talking about yesterday. It turns out to be a Dare County Sheriff TAC channel. In fact, I know one of the guys who was talking... However, at the time I was not going to try to talk to him.

I just found it odd for their TAC to be a frequency way off of their normal channel - 460.2500.

jthorpe

Well, Marijuana is a Schedule VI drug, so that's what they could have been talking about but who knows...

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Just keep in mind that RR.com does not permit any posting of frequencies of sensitive or ongoing "realtime" operations. Meaning, usually it is ok to post questions and info after the operations are completed but we will not jeopardize the safety of any public safety personnel by posting information about ongoing situations.
Feel free to email or PM me if you have any questions.
Thanks and happy monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

KX4KDH

Database Admin
Just keep in mind that RR.com does not permit any posting of frequencies of sensitive or ongoing "realtime" operations. Meaning, usually it is ok to post questions and info after the operations are completed but we will not jeopardize the safety of any public safety personnel by posting information about ongoing situations.
Feel free to email or PM me if you have any questions.
Thanks and happy monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

Marshall, all of that stuff was posted well after hearing the KMart thing. Then I was just following general chatter when I found out who it was.

KX4KDH

Database Admin
Tonight, I am trying to find SHP on the 800 band. I found them on 867.1000. Later on, I heard some data transmission on that frequency. Also, it will dead key for about a second every now and then. I have heard similar keyups on:

I can't figure out what the data sound is. I am wondering if this is a trunked system....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.