Union Co. NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

yardbird

I was watching the news the other night and they aired a story about Union County just upgraded their communications system. I beleive it was somewhere around 1.6 million dollars.

I was wanting to find out some spec on this.

Are they going to piggyback off Mecklenburg like Gaston has or are they going Viper. Are they going to put county fire on a repeater just like EMS.

Just looking for some clarification to a news story.

Thanks

David

vkallen

Yes, Union Co. has piggybacked onto Mecklenburg Co's P-25 Digital System. Go to Meck Co. database page, scroll down to Truncked Radio Systems and click on P-25. This will give you control channels for Meck and for Union Co.
Union County went live this weekend with simucasts on the P-25 Digital, or as the users say,"on 800".
This includes Co Sheriff, Co Fire/EMS, Monroe PD/ Fire / EMS / Hospital.
There are also some talkaround and private talkgroups, that are not a simucast of the 400mhz system.
I am working on compiling a list of identifiable talkgroups to submit, but it may take me awhile.
If any " insiders" may be able to elaborate it would be much apreciated.

Bill28227

Union County went live this weekend with simucasts on the P-25 Digital, or as the users say,"on 800".

How are you finding reception? I live in Matthews near the Sisky Y and reception is bad. Very broken on my PRO-106 with the RS 800 duckie. I would think it should be better.

trumpetman

Database Admin
UCFD Radio Template

Hopefully within the next week or so I can repost this list with the TG assignments, for now I just have the radio channel layout. Try and post anything that is confirmed in this thread and I'll add them to the list. Fire should be online starting tomorrow, Police should already be testing patches. Fire dispatches will assign a VHF channel & 800 channel. VHF Fire 2 should be patched with Ops Bravo, VHF Fire 3 should be patched with Ops Charlie, etc.

Attachments

• UCFD_Channel_Layout.pdf
    70.8 KB · Views: 387

yardbird

Chris,

Thanks

I will start programming this in my BCD396 Scanner.

I just wish they would have stayed with the C/M analog system. That would have really worked out well.

Thanks again,

David

trumpetman

Database Admin
No problem David. Post anything you confirm back on this thread and I'll add it to the list and once we get enough built up, someone can submit it to the DB.

I agree on you with the analog system, I was impressed with what they had all the way out to Gaston County. I figure since there's so many new agencies coming on board, a digital TRS was the only route. Char/Meck is big big big, plus adding all of Union County, plus I'm sure Gaston County is still planning on joining as well at some point. Hopefully over the next few years, this UASI radio system will link everyone in the region.

Charlotte UASI > Home

yardbird

Chris,

The talkgroups for Union County look good.

The only problem is:

What are the Hex id's for the talkgroups.

I can't program my scanner till I get those.

Thanks

David

vkallen

How are you finding reception? I live in Matthews near the Sisky Y and reception is bad. Very broken on my PRO-106 with the RS 800 duckie. I would think it should be better.
BILL28227 - Reception, short version- sometimes great, sometimes broken(PSR-500,RS 800). Its gotten alot better since last weekend.

Trumpetman-- Great channel list. Thanks

bar1035

Thanks to everyone for this thread. I'm new to scanners and only have a SCT150 (non-trunking) scanner.
Is Union County going to 800 trunking or digital? If they are gettting on the Mecklenburg trunking system, will they go digital at the same time Mecklenburg does? I'm trying to decide what type of scanner would serve me best with the changes going on in Union County. And if anyone knows if rebanding will affect Union County I will need a scanner that can do that too. Sorry if asked too many questions. I'm in the Fairview area of Union County

KM4WLV

Thanks to everyone for this thread. I'm new to scanners and only have a SCT150 (non-trunking) scanner.
Is Union County going to 800 trunking or digital? If they are gettting on the Mecklenburg trunking system, will they go digital at the same time Mecklenburg does? I'm trying to decide what type of scanner would serve me best with the changes going on in Union County. And if anyone knows if rebanding will affect Union County I will need a scanner that can do that too. Sorry if asked too many questions. I'm in the Fairview area of Union County

Let me be the first to say welcome to RR.com !!! I'm almost positive anyone here in the NC forum would recommend anyone coming into the hobby now to buy a digital capable scanner. If the systems that you monitor now aren't digital it seems everything is progressing that way. And especially if you want to be able to monitor any of the fun stuff on VIPER.

VIPER = Voice Interoperability Plan for Emergency Responders

VIPER is the new statewide Motorola Type II SmartZone System. Please feel free to ask anything & I'm sure you'll find that the NC forum members are a very helpful bunch. Again, welcome aboard !!!!!

kd8x

Union county has already gone to digital P25 so you will need to buy a digital scanner. There are still some vhf and uhf conventional freqs used in Union such as the Sheriff and Monroe City Pd. The new P25 system is in the new rebanded frequency range....Hope this helps...Good luck trying to get the new P25 system on a 100% copy...P25 simulcast systems are among the hardest for these scanners to decode. I have a GRE 600 scanner up here in Concord area and I do not get P25 systems at all.. only short bursts of audio at a time.. I don't know if the uniden 996xt is any better or not....

kd8x

bar1035

Thanks to both FD7752 and kd8x. I thought union was skipping trunking and going straight to digital. I still hear dispaches on 453.8500 and 155.2200. I also still hear Meck. fire/ems on 156.1650. I'll be happy to just hear dispach until the cost of digital comes down. I'm also concerned about rebanding. Is Charlotte going to reband? It's really hard to find info on who has , has not, will be going to, etc, reband. I have a buddy with a 996xt he's stored away until needed. Currently caries a pro-94 that is listed as not supporting rebanding

kd8x

Thanks to both FD7752 and kd8x. I thought union was skipping trunking and going straight to digital. I still hear dispaches on 453.8500 and 155.2200. I also still hear Meck. fire/ems on 156.1650. I'll be happy to just hear dispach until the cost of digital comes down. I'm also concerned about rebanding. Is Charlotte going to reband? It's really hard to find info on who has , has not, will be going to, etc, reband. I have a buddy with a 996xt he's stored away until needed. Currently caries a pro-94 that is listed as not supporting rebanding

The P25 system that Union is now on is a trunked digital system....As far as Charlotte rebanding goes, I think all of their frequencies that they operate on are below 861 mhz so they should not be rebanding but I could be wrong in that.....

KM4WLV

The P25 system that Union is now on is a trunked digital system....As far as Charlotte rebanding goes, I think all of their frequencies that they operate on are below 861 mhz so they should not be rebanding but I could be wrong in that.....

I was under the impression that even some freqs under 861mhz are being rebanded also. On the Salisbury-Rowan TRS (where I live) we don't have anything above 860MHz and we're being rebanded. Matter of fact, currently the highest frequency on the system is 860.9625

I have read a little here & there, but does some of the rebanding depend on what freq/channels Nextel has in a paticular area? I should know this as long as I've been around radios but I just haven't followed this in a lot of detail except for our system.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)

Charlotte still has one license - for the Babe Stillwell site in the north end of the county - that contains an NPSPAC frequency (866.700).

The FCC has started termination of that license, which includes numerous rebanded frequencies, due to a failure to meet buildout deadlines.

Technically, Charlotte could ask (negotiate with) Nextel for rebanded assignments to replace the frequencies in the 860.0125 - 860.9875 segment. That was one of the rebanding provisions, for use when an SMR in the neighboring band segment might cause interference to public safety allocations at the top end of the PS segment.

Searay

Premium Subscriber
Since Union County went live has anyone been able to ID any talkgroups? There is not many in the DB.

Matt

kd8x

I was under the impression that even some freqs under 861mhz are being rebanded also. On the Salisbury-Rowan TRS (where I live) we don't have anything above 860MHz and we're being rebanded. Matter of fact, currently the highest frequency on the system is 860.9625

I have read a little here & there, but does some of the rebanding depend on what freq/channels Nextel has in a paticular area? I should know this as long as I've been around radios but I just haven't followed this in a lot of detail except for our system.

I do not see Rowan County or Salisbury on the rebanded list anywhere....

kd8x

Since Union County went live has anyone been able to ID any talkgroups? There is not many in the DB.

Matt

I am seeing a bunch of ID's in the 45000 range but unfortunately, I just cant get the audio to decode so I don't know who they are but I have see probably 12-15 different ID's on the Union side....we need to get a Audio Feed going for the P25 system going on RR dont ya'll think????

KM4WLV

I do not see Rowan County or Salisbury on the rebanded list anywhere....

We're being rebanded. Sprint/Nextel has replaced all the radios on the system that can't be rebanded. They include MaxTracs, Syntors, LTS2000, STX & STX821, some MTS2000, Spectras, etc. This has been in the works since around spring of last year. They just finished the first round here not to long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.