RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum

North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of North Carolina.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2012, 6:56 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Sounds good..look forward to it..thanks!!
Sponsored links
Old 06-14-2012, 4:45 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Does anyone know the talkgroup or frequency for Dare EMS talk to Outer Banks Hospital for patient reports?

Also, I turned off all law enforcement talkgroups except town PD and Sheriff dispatch as there was just way to much uninteresting traffic
Old 06-14-2012, 5:40 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'll find out for sure ASAP.
Echolink Node #581717
Old 06-14-2012, 6:14 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

So JSN, you still going to have a separate feed for the paging freq? or just keep it the way you have now with the Sheriff and Town PD?
Old 06-14-2012, 8:15 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Thanks KX4KDH.

Gar, I'm Not sure yet. The paging channel isn't digital and can be picked up by any scanner (even old wideband ones) so there is not a whole lot of need for it. The feed is hooked up and everything, just have to hit the on switch, however, I'm still playing around and trying to figure out what the best configuration is. I may end up dropping law enforcement completely, and if I do that, then I don't need a second feed. If I don't, I'll turn all of the LEO talkgroups back on and post the second feed online.

Last edited by jsncrso; 06-14-2012 at 8:20 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 06-14-2012, 8:32 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I understand. I have a PSR800 but the battery only lasts like 7 or 8 hrs. It was nice being able to use the online paging channel and just receive it through my laptop hooked up to speakers. If you decide to do it again, I will be at least one listener
Old 06-16-2012, 10:45 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Hey guys, got another question to bug everyone with. It seems I'm still missing quite a bit of traffic from units. For example, during the KDH fire tonight (saturday), I didn't hear engine 14 or 15 units respond, and heard nothing from the fireground except for a few instances of KDHFD TAC 14 that was quite garbled. Here is what I have programmed in my scanner...does anyone see any errors or missing talkgroups?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sivk2msl89...lipboard02.jpg

I know we have a Simulcast system, but I'm beginning to think at least some of the mobile/portable radios or talkgroups are not rebroadcast. For example, my feed is set up out of Wanchese and I heard all Station 17 officers on their calls today loud and clear but rarely (if ever) hear anything up the beach. Yet, now as I think about it, I heard one of Hatteras' engines talking to central today. Does anyone know what's up?

Also Gar, I'm sorry but I don't think I'm going to be able to broadcast the paging only feed. I'm having audio issues with running 2 feeds at one time and I can't get ScannerCast to boot up to two feeds automatically reliably (which is essential since I have a headless and unattended server). I've disabled all law enforcement talkgroups except town PD and sheriff dispatch which has cut down the traffic tremendously yet till leaves all of the "good stuff" up.

BTW, I have a picture of my feed setup in the "shack photos" link above if anyone wants to check it out.

Last edited by jsncrso; 06-16-2012 at 10:55 PM..
Old 06-17-2012, 10:58 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

(can't edit my post above) Now I'm listening to a wreck in Kitty Hawk, and I can hear engine 13 and chief 13 on his portable loud and clear. Considering I didn't hear any units respond and hardly any fireground comms with fire last night, this really is weird.

Also, the whine now present in the feed is coming from my USB-RS232 serial adapter...I'll have this fixed soon.

Last edited by jsncrso; 06-17-2012 at 11:01 AM..
Old 06-19-2012, 11:55 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsncrso View Post
Does anyone know the talkgroup or frequency for Dare EMS talk to Outer Banks Hospital for patient reports?
You might check the old vhf frequency for those, although I pretty sure most use cell phones to call in reports now. At least I know we do in Currituck.
Sponsored links
Old 06-19-2012, 9:38 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Hey guys, got another question to bug everyone with. It seems I'm still missing quite a bit of traffic from units. For example, during the KDH fire tonight (saturday), I didn't hear engine 14 or 15 units respond, and heard nothing from the fireground except for a few instances of KDHFD TAC 14 that was quite garbled. Here is what I have programmed in my scanner...does anyone see any errors or missing talkgroups?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sivk2msl89...lipboard02.jpg

I know we have a Simulcast system, but I'm beginning to think at least some of the mobile/portable radios or talkgroups are not rebroadcast. For example, my feed is set up out of Wanchese and I heard all Station 17 officers on their calls today loud and clear but rarely (if ever) hear anything up the beach. Yet, now as I think about it, I heard one of Hatteras' engines talking to central today. Does anyone know what's up?

Also Gar, I'm sorry but I don't think I'm going to be able to broadcast the paging only feed. I'm having audio issues with running 2 feeds at one time and I can't get ScannerCast to boot up to two feeds automatically reliably (which is essential since I have a headless and unattended server). I've disabled all law enforcement talkgroups except town PD and sheriff dispatch which has cut down the traffic tremendously yet till leaves all of the "good stuff" up.

BTW, I have a picture of my feed setup in the "shack photos" link above if anyone wants to check it out.
Did you mean to dump all the jpegs of your scanlist? I took a quick look at them a couple of days ago, and just went to download them, and nada.

Enjoy reading your posts over on OBC too.
Old 06-20-2012, 6:17 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Hey guys,

I got the NC VIPER talkgroup for Dare EMS prehospital reports to OBH, listening to one right now.

As for my missing traffic, it seems my issues lie with multipath distortion on the control channel. All it takes is a split second of it for the scanner to miss traffic, so that's why it's been so hit or miss lately. Retracting the antenna sometimes helps, but today while listening to my feed at work, all that came through was the analog channel. As soon as I re-extended the antenna when I got home, traffic as flowing again.

I've ordered a yagi antenna and a shot of LMR-400 cable from ScannerMaster, so this should alleviate the problem for me completely. My question now is, where is the Nags Head/Bodie Island VIPER and Dare P25 tower exactly? (I hope its the Navy tower site near the lighthouse, I have a perfect LOS with that tower)

And Rob, not sure what happened to the Dropbox links...looks like I won't be using that service anymore. I have a CSV file of everything though, which is better than screenshots.

I will say that while setting this feed up has been fun, it's a farrrr cry from dialing 6 digits and a decimal point and hitting scan!

Last edited by jsncrso; 06-20-2012 at 7:13 PM..
Old 06-24-2012, 7:27 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Just letting everyone know I got my yagi antenna installed and everything is going smooth with my feed (which is becoming more and more popular). Within the past few days, I've heard 3 different police in the Nags Head area complain that their radios are garbled, while mine is crystal clear due to my antenna.

Everything is finished, and the only thing I have left to do is install two RS232 serial isolators to the serial cables going to my scanner. This will get rid of the whine you hear when you turn the volume up high on my feed. They should arrive in about 2-3 weeks. Also, I may change the name of my feed to "Dare County Emergency Services" or something since I scan more than my feed title describes. The feed is now back online at www.obxairwaves.com as well.

Thanks to everyone who has helped me get this online!

BCD996XT providing the feed in my computer room

10dBi terrawave yagi antenna pointed to the Bodie Island tower with 25' LMR-400 cable
Old 06-24-2012, 10:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

No problem JSN.. thanks anyway ..
Old 06-25-2012, 6:26 PM
Mike
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

My Favorite Feed by far keep up the great work

Bad decisions make good stories.
Old 07-05-2012, 4:08 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

This morning, there was a maximum of 70 listeners on the feed! In fact it was in the top 25 feeds here on RR for a couple of hours. I guess everyone saw the huge plume of sudden smoke from the Colington Island marsh fire, and at the same time, Dare MedFlight was airlifting a patient out of Duck fire station. The listener count dropped by about half rather quickly after a Nags Head Ocean Rescue unit advised his crew that the fire was a prescribed burn and MedFlgiht lifted off. Pretty cool!

Another interesting tidbit is that many listeners used mobile scanner apps on their smartphones.

Last edited by jsncrso; 07-05-2012 at 4:15 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 07-05-2012, 9:27 PM
Mike
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Any of you guys listening to the analog system ? was on the OBX today and no CC was heard sounded like it was in failsafe mode on both sites, your feed did better than my scanner did LOL !

Bad decisions make good stories.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:52 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webodisk View Post
Any of you guys listening to the analog system ? was on the OBX today and no CC was heard sounded like it was in failsafe mode on both sites, your feed did better than my scanner did LOL !
Unfortunately, you can forget scanning Dare's system much of the time if you are using an omnidirectional antenna, you will end up missing a lot of traffic. There's always units complaining about their radios sounding garbled, while I listen to the transmissions crystal clear. I'm only a couple miles from the Bodie Island site, and always had problems with artifacts before I installed the yagi. My setup wasn't cheap, but definitely worth the investment, especially in the fact I can listen to my feed on my smartphone with an app.

I still have a few tweaks to do to get a few more channels, and I'm still waiting for my isolators to get here, which will cut out the background noise and I'll be able to increase my feed volume significantly.
Old 07-07-2012, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, you can forget scanning Dare's system much of the time if you are using an omnidirectional antenna, you will end up missing a lot of traffic. There's always units complaining about their radios sounding garbled, while I listen to the transmissions crystal clear. I'm only a couple miles from the Bodie Island site, and always had problems with artifacts before I installed the yagi. My setup wasn't cheap, but definitely worth the investment, especially in the fact I can listen to my feed on my smartphone with an app.

I still have a few tweaks to do to get a few more channels, and I'm still waiting for my isolators to get here, which will cut out the background noise and I'll be able to increase my feed volume significantly.
This is the same problem I've been going through since Dare switched over to the P25 system. I made a yagi but keeping it aligned is a PITA (don't have a proper mount) so I'll probably be buying an antenna and getting it set up right. I haven't been keeping up with RR forums since the summer started but I'm glad others are showing interest and finding solutions to getting the signals from being FUBAR.
Old 07-08-2012, 4:32 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I made my mount out of a 3 foot section of PVC electrical conduit and its screwed to my roof eave with 2 U-shaped conduit brackets and one screw though the conduit itself (to keep it from rotating any). Tighten the U-bolts on the yagi antenna itself to the point where the conduit starts to deform. I haven't had my setup long but this has worked well. Determining your yagi direction depends on which antenna you are closest to and the positions of the other antenna's relative to you.

Last edited by jsncrso; 07-08-2012 at 5:30 PM..
Old 07-08-2012, 8:08 PM

right now I'm pointing toward east lake (from colington) and get better reception than pointing back at KH or Bodie Island. Don't know why KH doesn't work out since I'm so close, but it just doesn't.

Where did you get your LMR-400 cable?