RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum

North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of North Carolina.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 12:50 PM

Harris has told us that a $10,000 router is being replaced at the FCSO site at this time. Settings are still being changed remotely and on site by Harris engineers. They have seen improvement however they are not exactly where they want to be at this time.
Sponsored links
Old 11-08-2012, 1:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Is anyone successfully hearing this system on an HP-1?
Old 11-08-2012, 5:39 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Guys, you ***HAVE*** to get a yagi antenna if this is a simulcast system and you want to listen to it. Otherwise you will continue to miss out a lot of transmissions.

I scan Dare County's P25 simulcast system (6 towers spaced very far apart from each other) and I'm 3 miles direct line of sight over water from the nearest tower (in fact I can look out my window and physically see the tower) and about 18 miles away from the second closest. When I was using the stock antenna that came with my BCD996XT, I was only picking up around 60% of transmissions. It was so bad one day, I never heard traffic for a working fire. After I put up a yagi, I pick up 100% of transmission and routinely have better reception than the county radios get. See my "shack photos link. Just get the cheap 800MHz yagi from Scanner master (yes it will pick up VHF very strongly as well) and a shot of the LMR400 cable and you won't be happier, I promise. It sucks spending additional funds, but it's very much worth it. Just install the antenna and your best bet is to point it to the nearest antenna and turn on your scanner's -20dB built in attenuation. If you want to scan VIPER as well, try pointing it to the tower that falls in line with the nearest VIPER site as well. The yagi doesn't attenuate other systems as bad as I had prepared, but don't expect to pick up VIPER or any other towers more than 20 miles away if you aren't in the "beam field" of the yagi.
Old 11-08-2012, 6:06 PM

ncjay,

I do not know of anyone using a HP1. I myself am using a PRO197 and my ability to monitor the system as gone up exponentially in the last few weeks. Yeah there is still some simulcast garble, but it is nothing like it was.

Anyone know what the high pitched tone at the end of the transmission is about? Only happens on my scanner, not the XG75
Old 11-08-2012, 6:45 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks for the feedback, guys - I suppose I ought to take the HP-1 close to a tower site first (I'm near Youngsville), and see what the "analyze system" "system load/reception status" tool says at that location. Right now using an outdoor discone (and LMR-400!) I'm just getting a bouncing signal from 0-6, no quality, and no activity. Good sign of a lousy signal, I think. The discone is on the wrong side of the house and needs to be raised up to clear the house.

If I get better results in Youngsville, then I'll consider an 800 MHz yagi. We'll see about another receiver...I've only bought four this year so far
Sponsored links
Old 11-09-2012, 5:15 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Franklin County is a VHF truncking system not 800Mhz. Not sure how much good an 800Mhz Yagi will do you on a VHF system.
Old 11-09-2012, 9:37 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by srahn View Post
Franklin County is a VHF truncking system not 800Mhz. Not sure how much good an 800Mhz Yagi will do you on a VHF system.
I'm meaning a yagi of any frequency band. If it's simulcast, you gotta get one. For this sytem you will obviously need a VHF yagi.

FWIW, 800MHz yagis pick up VHF pretty well, although it's not ideal
Old 11-10-2012, 5:45 PM

If i were to get an XTS2500 to monitor this system and talk on it (after a year) which options would i need to get?

Im assuming some of these:

Q806: ASTRO IMBE Digital Operation
Q361: ASTRO 25 9600 Baud Trunking
Q947: APCO Packet Data Interface
Q883: 3600/9600 Interoperability/Mixed Mode Signalling
H14: Enhanced Digital ID Display
Q574: 9600 Baud Trunking
Old 11-12-2012, 2:18 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

We flew to a scene in Franklin County on Saturday morning and could not make contact with the scene on TAC 3. Is this common when you guys call in WakeMed or UNC Aircare? I just want to get a good idea of what you guys normally use so I can get the aircraft radios reprogrammed since we can no longer program the new aircraft on the fly. It's rare that we respond to you guys but we need to make sure we have comms when we do. Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 11-12-2012, 8:06 PM

Yeah that scene Sat. morning was a cluster..

We always have trouble communicating with Air Mobile 1 when we have to call. Its always an issue with PL tones or something.

We usually use state fire when we talk to yall to set up an LZ. I think we use a PL of 136.5, but I'm not sure. It makes no sense to me why there is a PL tone on state fire, or if there needs to be one it should be universal.

WakeMed is flying a greenish aircraft now, what happened to Air Mobile 1?

Last edited by NCFire11; 11-12-2012 at 8:09 PM..
Old 11-12-2012, 8:28 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCFire11 View Post
Yeah that scene Sat. morning was a cluster..

We always have trouble communicating with Air Mobile 1 when we have to call. Its always an issue with PL tones or something.

We usually use state fire when we talk to yall to set up an LZ. I think we use a PL of 136.5, but I'm not sure. It makes no sense to me why there is a PL tone on state fire, or if there needs to be one it should be universal.

WakeMed is flying a greenish aircraft now, what happened to Air Mobile 1?
Thanks for the info. AirMobile 1 is currently in a back up aircraft, their primary aircraft is down for maintenance. It is a frequent thing for all of us, heck next time you see Vidant Air we may very well be in that same back up. We have about 4 regional back ups that are rotated throughout the state, almost all of us either lease aircraft from Air Methods or we contract with them to provide pilots and mechanics. Vidant and Duke own their helicopters, the rest of the programs lease them from Air Methods.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:55 PM

Ahh ok. It confused me because about a week ago an Air Methods craft landed at Franklin County airport, and at first we had no clue who they were until we saw the WakeMed jumpsuits.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:16 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

ive seen the same eastcare get called the halifax regional and it end up being a mountain rescue aircraft
John 15:13 - Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
Old 11-13-2012, 6:07 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconrider8 View Post
ive seen the same eastcare get called the halifax regional and it end up being a mountain rescue aircraft
Define "mountain rescue aircraft" for me. The regional back ups are usually brought in from areas of the country outside of our general service area. Wouldn't want EastCare showing up in Dukes old 135's, or vice versa. Our regional back ups came from Kentucky, Tennessee etc. and like wise the old aircraft Duke had were sent to Texas. They maintain their paint scheme but all references to a particular program are taken off of them. When we bought the 2 EC145's and our EC135 our 3 BK-117's took a trip to Alaska, Pennsylvania and the scrap yard respectively.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:22 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just talked to one of the Franklin County Sheriffs at the Youngsville Post Office. Asked how he likes the new radio system, but can't repeat exactly what he said on this site. Seems like where he used to get reception now he doesn't and vice versa. He said they're working on the system to optimize it - for the life of me I can't understand why, over a month after switching over, it's still not working right. As far as my Uniden 396XT scanner goes, it sure seems fairly useless for this Harris system. What a great test for a Uniden Programmer to visit Franklin County and figure out why their scanner doesn't track this system like it should - just a thought.
Sponsored links
Old 11-15-2012, 3:30 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFisherman View Post
. As far as my Uniden 396XT scanner goes, it sure seems fairly useless for this Harris system. What a great test for a Uniden Programmer to visit Franklin County and figure out why their scanner doesn't track this system like it should - just a thought.

Because it's a simulcast system. You will need a base mounted yagi antenna pointed at one of the sites to properly receive it. All scanners have difficulty picking up simulcast systems due to multipath distortion.
Old 11-15-2012, 4:34 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thanks, that's interesting but I'm missing a lot of the calls never mind the multipath distortion. Even when I get within a mile of one transmitter location, the 396XT doesn't seem right. Sure is confusing for an old timer like me. Would love to hear from anyone with the same radio or the 996XT that it works good, maybe my radio is defective.
Old 11-15-2012, 6:57 PM

Before you jump too far-

The system is still being tweaked. Even the professional portables are somewhat distorted. Harris engineers are trying to solve the problem, and Harris is working with the sheriff and others to fix this quickly as possible.
Old 11-16-2012, 3:40 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Well it seems that they are about to get this system somewhat straight. I have been listening this afternoon and Dispatch sounds much better along with the Deputies response.

Fingers crossed!
Old 11-16-2012, 4:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Greg, just wondering what you're listening on - your 396xt? I've had mine on most of the day and have heard almost nothing except for a few dispatches with no responses. Thinking I have a real bad location or radio even though I always get the 5 bars for signal strength. According to Google Earth, I have a straight shot (no hills) to the Franklinton transmitter - sure is frustrating.