CB radio traffic in Eastern NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

vdubb16

Pretty quiet... anyone use these things close to the carteret county area, please chime in. or other suggestion for channel commonly used in the area. aside from 19. i havnt even got a reply to a radio check across the board. i know im tx'n however this antenna set up is less than favorable. "not very high" i figured id hear something tho.

Ch. 19

I dont live in that part of the area but I have noticed that when I drive out that way no one is really on the radios anymore. I live out towards Burlington and the Alamance county area and I use my radio religously. My handle is the Mountain Climber so if you come out this way give me a holler I'll talk to you.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Go to channel 27 and give "Fender Bender" a shout. He's a nice guy and has been around for a long time. He's in Cape Carteret, so you should be able to talk to him from where you are. It's hit or miss, but he's usually on there.

Tell him that "Rescue Ranger" said hello. I had to take my antenna down and only have 2 meter and HF ham antennas up now. I was talking on a Browning Golden Eagle, that I still have. Just don't have the room for a CB antenna too.

Pretty quiet... anyone use these things close to the carteret county area, please chime in. or other suggestion for channel commonly used in the area. aside from 19. i havnt even got a reply to a radio check across the board. i know im tx'n however this antenna set up is less than favorable. "not very high" i figured id hear something tho.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I dont live in that part of the area but I have noticed that when I drive out that way no one is really on the radios anymore. I live out towards Burlington and the Alamance county area and I use my radio religously. My handle is the Mountain Climber so if you come out this way give me a holler I'll talk to you.

I used to know a Mountain Climber that lived in Spartanburg, SC back in 1990-91. His father's handle was Coal Miner. Are you the same one?

Larry27

Premium Subscriber
CB pretty quiet in NC

I drove from Winston Salem to Wilmington with a CB in my car last weekend.
The entire band was quiet during the four hour drive except for three or four truckers on 19.

I occasionally hear some DX on channel 6 from my home in Winston Salem.

I have not heard a sideband signal on CB in 20 years.

Communications on CB were always hampered by QRM, so maybe this is a good thing. If you have someone to talk to, you can always find an open channel.

vdubb16

Yeah, its been a few days of listening, ch 6, 17 and 38 on usb i pick up faint signals not even moving the meter later in the evening that i can tune in sometimes...but thats it so far. if nothing else i intend to use the CB for boat-truck-home communication, "horrible luck with cell phones on and around boats" i dont take it out from down in the cabin from the time i hook the boat to the truck, till i pull back on the trailer.. haha.. im sitll going to pick up a imax2000 since they are fairly inexpensive and should give me the rough 2 mile reach to the coastal water where im usually boating..maybe ill stumble across a small linear.. and if i do grow into the HAM world from what i read this antenna does well....

one thing is im amazed at how little noise there is in this area as compared to back in pittsburgh area where i used to live. I was near hill top above the town i lived in and it was rare to not use the better half of your squelch to keep a cb quiet. Here i cut the squelch all the way down on AM and have to turn up the volume to make sure that its working. or atleast seems to be working.

Last edited:
Mountain Climber

No I am not the same one unfortunately I've never lived in SC but I think I know who you are talking about my dads handle was Blue Streak something hes had for a long time but let me see if I can find who you are talking about

oft

Premium Subscriber
Going up I-40, around Pender County, there is traffic usually on 6, and ever since NCSHP has been patrolling I-40 more and pulling people over to increase ticket revenues (especially the onramp to 40E at exit 414), 19 to alert truckers.

However, there is a guy, and I really pick him up around the highway 210 exit, who broadcasts on 28 with a linear so powerful he actually bleeds over on 26 and 27 and also 29. It seems like many people from out of state go over to 28 to really test out their linear amps with this guy because I have heard locations such as Columbia, SC, Bristol, TN, etc.,

vdubb16

Finally some progress, picked up some used items on the cheap that seem to be working alright. RS discone nothin bent and in very newish shape for scanning. Also snagged a mirror mount fiberglass 48" RS still in a wrapper. That i added some radials to it for the base cb. swr to 1:5. on some old old coax. Just mounted at the roofline as a quick temp rig.

picked up several people not barely moving my meter but clear solid modulation. One guy had solid modulation but nothin on the meter from me appx 5 miles. For $10 im satisfied atleast knowing this radio works.

Ordered LMR 400 today aswell maybe next paycheck ill order an imax.

mzricochet

Mocksville has been pretty quiet too. CB is a good back-up if for some reason our cell network becomes compromised. Satellites are vulnerable, especially with the Chinese building up their military... you just never know.

vdubb16

well after constructing a homebrew antenna, and ran some lmr400, i was able to make a couple local contacts. Im picking up more about 10miles away. however im not reaching out to them. The other locals i do reach. have towers 60 ft or higher. which lead me to my next endevour. One of them has an extra 70 ft of 10ft sections of tower with base plate and top cone for a price i cant refuse. along with a 100 ft run of LL400 and some other bits and pieces. So in time ill have myself a promising setup to make the most of the hobby. Plus i can make use of the tower for scanning and to further providing more/better feeds. the RS discone i have is about 25 ft high now recieving public service up 35-40 miles away.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Speaking of tower sections...

I have a bent 40 foot Rohn tower that you can have if you want it. It was my Grandfather's back in the 70's and when we removed it, the top section was so heavy that it bent one of the sections. It's well used, but like I said, it's free.

I'm in Onslow County in Hubert.

vdubb16

got my tower started and maco y quad up about 25 ft. 40 more foot comming soon....still some bugs to work out but the elements are rather close to the house so hopefully goin higher will lower swr.

SCPD

QRT
Im on my base most hours of the day & night

Mocksville has been pretty quiet too. CB is a good back-up if for some reason our cell network becomes compromised. Satellites are vulnerable, especially with the Chinese building up their military... you just never know.

Im usually on 19 with the base & mobile, mainly because i live on a highway & im literally less then a mile from I-77. As far as the North Eastern portion of NC the 3 most common channels that i know most people use around here are 1, 2, 23. Most nights i hop on to see who is on with me. Ive made alota friends over the past few days through these channels, all local. They call me "Tha Reaper", Ill talk you to death sometimes. I live out here in Jonesville, NC...base right of the Exit 82. Through a haller at me on 19, we can switch over from there.

Late to the game

I just recently installed a CB (new to the club), and I live off of exit 414. Its nice to know that there are people out there to warn eachother (they recently 'got me', hence the newfound interest in CB's!)
I dont really know how the whole CB thing works, so I'm looking forward to 'meeting' new people!!
Thanks!
-Kim

Going up I-40, around Pender County, there is traffic usually on 6, and ever since NCSHP has been patrolling I-40 more and pulling people over to increase ticket revenues (especially the onramp to 40E at exit 414), 19 to alert truckers.

However, there is a guy, and I really pick him up around the highway 210 exit, who broadcasts on 28 with a linear so powerful he actually bleeds over on 26 and 27 and also 29. It seems like many people from out of state go over to 28 to really test out their linear amps with this guy because I have heard locations such as Columbia, SC, Bristol, TN, etc.,

KD0PEZ

I just moved to Goldsboro NC from Knob Noster MO and haven't heard much out here but a bunch of skip. I have not been able to make contact with anyone yet.

Kim ask away on anything you want

PugCity

Burlington Nc Local Channels?

Mountain Climber,

I just purchased a CB for when we go camping I pull a travel trailer. I have it in my pickup. Which I have been listening regularly. I put it in scan mode. What channel are you on so I know where to go to try and holler at you? I also live in Burlington NC. I have also run into the same problem, no one talking on it other then 19. I do live close to the TA Truck Stop so I get a lot of chatter from there. Then I tried google and found this site.

Pug City

Attachments

• Cobra.jpg
    Cobra.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 863
Status
Not open for further replies.