RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum

North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of North Carolina.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2014, 2:08 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

question while we are on this subject...(if it has been said already forgive me in advance) do you keep the rebanded tables in win500 for a pro106 or do you change it to 800 p25 with the custom tables? http://vvcap.net/db/4ftXrV4lE6nUSI_92iD5.png
John 15:13 - Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
Sponsored links
Old 06-19-2014, 2:19 PM
KE4ZNR@radioreference.com
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconrider8 View Post
question while we are on this subject...(if it has been said already forgive me in advance) do you keep the rebanded tables in win500 for a pro106 or do you change it to 800 p25 with the custom tables? http://vvcap.net/db/4ftXrV4lE6nUSI_92iD5.png
Settings should be P25 with NO CUSTOM TABLES.
Marshall KE4ZNR

@KE4ZNR on Twitter
http://instagram.com/KE4ZNR
Old 06-19-2014, 2:34 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

so default tables with 800 p25?
John 15:13 - Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
Old 06-19-2014, 3:07 PM

For those of you who like to listen to the game wardens, I have identified 52107 as Wildlife District 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-19-2014, 3:32 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconrider8 View Post
so default tables with 800 p25?
Yep

@KE4ZNR on Twitter
Sponsored links
Old 06-19-2014, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW4HKY View Post
Same with the 396?
Does this have to be done when the new data is imported?
Will GRE 500 pick up P25?

I am so ignorant

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Ok to answer several of your questions:

Yes, the GRE500 will be fine as soon as the database is updated and you are able to import the new settings for towers and talkgroups.

No need to sell the scanners.

Just be patient. I know for a fact that some verified info has been submitted to the database as several users (including me) are submitting new tower/TGID as quickly as we can find and confirm it. The database admins are probably a little overwhelmed right now with a ton of new info.

Just maintain patience a little longer and all will be well soon.

If you wanted to get a jump on things all you would have to do is go into the scanner with your favorite software package and switch the towers that you receive to P25 instead of MOT800 and insert a wildcard. That's how I am IDing new TGIDs.

Hang in there a bit longer...
Draf
Old 06-19-2014, 4:33 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I'm told there is a upgrade in progress now in Caldwell County to P25. At any rate I've been receiving nothing on Caldwell local talkgroups for a couple of days.
Old 06-19-2014, 4:47 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drafin View Post
Ok to answer several of your questions:

Yes, the GRE500 will be fine as soon as the database is updated and you are able to import the new settings for towers and talkgroups.

No need to sell the scanners.

Just be patient. I know for a fact that some verified info has been submitted to the database as several users (including me) are submitting new tower/TGID as quickly as we can find and confirm it. The database admins are probably a little overwhelmed right now with a ton of new info.

Just maintain patience a little longer and all will be well soon.

If you wanted to get a jump on things all you would have to do is go into the scanner with your favorite software package and switch the towers that you receive to P25 instead of MOT800 and insert a wildcard. That's how I am IDing new TGIDs.

Hang in there a bit longer...
Draf
Thanks. Just a dose of withdrawal panic.

Old 06-19-2014, 5:00 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW4HKY View Post
I tried the data base yesterday morning. nothing posted then for the unifour.
I thought software was enough to stay current. I just don't have the time to learn all the nuances of searching out the new systems. Time to sell to scanners or wait it out until more knowledgeable members update the data base.

Why sell??? Everything is still there, all you have to do is switch from scan id mode to search id mode and change site type to p25. You'll be able to hear all the viper traffic on the same sites as long as you change the site type (in freescan software) from rebanded to Mot P25/P25 Standard for each site. Its really not that hard to do. Yes, you wont be able to see whos talking other than the new tgid numbers until they get updated in RR, but you will be able to hear, just lock out anything you dont want to hear.
Sponsored links
Old 06-19-2014, 6:40 PM

Unhappy home patrol

what about home patrol? will i be able to receive on regular viper- or something else. it has all disappeared overnight. what should i do?
Old 06-19-2014, 7:11 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVREID View Post
what about home patrol? will i be able to receive on regular viper- or something else. it has all disappeared overnight. what should i do?
BE PATIENT
How many times do I need to say this?
When you are dealing with a statewide system the size of VIPER you don't just
flip a switch and all of the sudden everything is mapped out.
To help speed up the process learn how to use Sentinel to change your local
VIPER site to P25 then switch the site to "ID SEARCH" and help ID new talkgroups as you hear activity.
The only way that the database will be accurate is if we all contribute and we all
learn to be patient.
Thanks for helping!
Marshall KE4ZNR

@KE4ZNR on Twitter
Old 06-19-2014, 8:05 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

KE4ZNR,
i have a question and thought you'd be able to answer and clear up any confusion others might have. when submitting the new viper P25 tgid's, do we need to select the Viper or Viper Project 25 database to submit to? i have made some submissions for burke, but i think i just chose the viper option, not the viper p25.
Thanks!

de KF4IXM
Old 06-19-2014, 8:12 PM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf4ixm View Post
KE4ZNR,
i have a question and thought you'd be able to answer and clear up any confusion others might have. when submitting the new viper P25 tgid's, do we need to select the Viper or Viper Project 25 database to submit to? i have made some submissions for burke, but i think i just chose the viper option, not the viper p25.
Thanks!

de KF4IXM
VIPER P25 System please.
The goal is to migrate all talkgroups to the VIPER P25 system except for Wake County talkgroups then change the current legacy system name to the "Wake County Simulcast System".
Thanks!
Marshall KE4ZNR

@KE4ZNR on Twitter
Old 06-19-2014, 8:58 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by KE4ZNR View Post
VIPER P25 System please.
The goal is to migrate all talkgroups to the VIPER P25 system except for Wake County talkgroups then change the current legacy system name to the "Wake County Simulcast System".
Thanks!
Marshall KE4ZNR
OOOPS!
sorry about that, i didnt think about it till after i submitted. ill resubmit to the proper DB. also, i have been running unitrunker on the high peak system, caught alot of data, but im just learning unitrunker, (basically got it set up with my 996xt and logging tgid's and CC and other site info), if any of the data, like i exported the site to an xml file with all control channels, etc, can it be used by RR, any way to upload it?
Old 06-20-2014, 12:06 AM

A few not so related questions for anyone to answer. I honestly tried to answer most of these by reading.

Why isn't Wake County migrating to P25? Of all the counties it seems like they'd have the money and reason to do so given its size. Anyone have any insight into why the decision to stay was made. Why join VIPER in the first place if they weren't planning on sticking with it?

What's the timeline for the switch to P25 Phase 2? I know this technically might be off-topic but since most of the current scanners can't do phase 2, I really want to know if it'll happen in terms of years phase 1 or if they're be ready to flip a switch to phase 2 in a matter of months after making the current changes.

What's the primary motive for the P25 switch? There seem to be a bunch of new features with data and non-voice features that are made possible, is anyone aware of any plans to use these? My local agencies recently got the Motorola APX radios and should be switch to P25 tomorrow. Maybe they'll start using all the bells and whistles soon.

What kind of changes can we expect for scanners like ourselves? I have the homepatrol-1 which I program manually using the sentinel software. It works very well, but I haven't scanned any one of the P25 systems. What should I expect in terms of performance when the county switches over? Anyone notice if there radios are better or worse at following P25, any change in sound quality?
Sponsored links
Old 06-20-2014, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc59ham View Post
I'm told there is a upgrade in progress now in Caldwell County to P25. At any rate I've been receiving nothing on Caldwell local talkgroups for a couple of days.
Information is in this thread regarding the Unifour area (including Caldwell). Just read back a bit.

Draf
Old 06-20-2014, 7:52 AM
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhc1322 View Post
A few not so related questions for anyone to answer. I honestly tried to answer most of these by reading.

Why isn't Wake County migrating to P25? Of all the counties it seems like they'd have the money and reason to do so given its size. Anyone have any insight into why the decision to stay was made. Why join VIPER in the first place if they weren't planning on sticking with it?
Wake County has a site that answers most of your questions:
800 MHz Radio System Replacement Project

And it is not that Wake County is "not sticking with it"....it is the fact that Wake County believes their new partnership with Cary will provide the best bang for the taxpayer buck.

Quote:
What's the timeline for the switch to P25 Phase 2? I know this technically might be off-topic but since most of the current scanners can't do phase 2, I really want to know if it'll happen in terms of years phase 1 or if they're be ready to flip a switch to phase 2 in a matter of months after making the current changes.
None of the 3 major radio systems in Central NC (VIPER, Durham, Cary) have any plans to migrate to P25 Phase II TDMA any time in the near future. I would not worry about that at this time. In fact the closest Phase II TDMA system is in Pitt County. So unless you live in Pitt County I think you will be ok.

Quote:
What's the primary motive for the P25 switch? There seem to be a bunch of new features with data and non-voice features that are made possible, is anyone aware of any plans to use these? My local agencies recently got the Motorola APX radios and should be switch to P25 tomorrow. Maybe they'll start using all the bells and whistles soon.
Bells and Whistles might be nice but the main reason upgrading is Motorola support and room for future growth. On the system I help manage and maintain we upgraded from the Motorola 4.1 platform because Mother Moto no longer supports the 4.1 platform. I believe that is the same for the 2 other main systems in Central NC. We also needed additional growth room for the future. Consider VIPER: Under their 4.1 platform they had no more Radio IDs to assign to new users on the system. In fact they had a backlog of 3000-4000 requests for Radio IDs they could not assign. But once they upgrade to P25 they will have in the neighborhood of 16 Million total Radio IDs available. Same deal with talkgroups: you end up with around 65,000 talkgroups available. More room to grow in the future.

Quote:
What kind of changes can we expect for scanners like ourselves? I have the homepatrol-1 which I program manually using the sentinel software. It works very well, but I haven't scanned any one of the P25 systems. What should I expect in terms of performance when the county switches over? Anyone notice if there radios are better or worse at following P25, any change in sound quality?
That is subjective based on many things: location, antenna used, individual radio settings, etc. What works for me in my exact location might not work for you. However, I use an HP-1 daily at work in Durham and have been able to monitor Duke on the limited area VIPER P25 system with no issues.

Marshall KE4ZNR

@KE4ZNR on Twitter
Old 06-20-2014, 9:10 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Just received word that all Randolph county sites with the exception of Coleridge are now P25 and users are being instructed to use p25 Tg's.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:07 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Transylvania County info

The Brevard site ID is 2-15

The Transylvania County radio id's are in the 1750000 range

The talkgroup id's are:
44500 = Emergency Management
44501 = EMS
44502 = Fire Departments
44503 = Law Enforcement
44504 = Tactical