RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum

North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of North Carolina.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 11:42 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Default Dare county Fire/EMS scanner online

Hey guys, I set up a feed for Dare County. It's a feed for their analog 155.3735MHz paging channel. In this feed you will hear paging for all Dare Country fire departments, EMS, and rescue calls. In addition, you will be able to hear traffic originating on Dare Central's side, but you will not hear any traffic from units (and won't until I or anyone else sets up a digital scanner feed).

Anyway, PLEASE let me know of any errors or tweaks, and I will address them as I can. I'm currently trying to lower the hum but it's proving to be more difficult than I anticipated. Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 02-28-2012, 5:39 PM
KE4ZNR@radioreference.com
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsncrso View Post
Hey guys, I set up a feed for Dare County. It's a feed for their analog 155.3735MHz paging channel. In this feed you will hear paging for all Dare Country fire departments, EMS, and rescue calls. In addition, you will be able to hear traffic originating on Dare Central's side, but you will not hear any traffic from units (and won't until I or anyone else sets up a digital scanner feed).

Anyway, PLEASE let me know of any errors or tweaks, and I will address them as I can. I'm currently trying to lower the hum but it's proving to be more difficult than I anticipated. Thanks!
Thanks for taking the effort to setup the feed
I will give it a listen later on this evening in some down time and let ya know if anything sounds wonky.
Thanks again for setting it up!
Marshall KE4ZNR

@KE4ZNR on Twitter
http://instagram.com/KE4ZNR
Old 02-28-2012, 6:14 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

No problem. I'm about to go online with NOAA Weather Radio Cape Hatteras (KIG77) so there may be a bit of downtime later this evening, but after that it should be running permanently.
Old 02-29-2012, 7:27 PM

Smile Dare Question

jsncrso--this sounds like a question for you .I know Dare is using their own P-25 system--Dare also has a bunch of talkgroups listed on the VIPER system. Are any of these being used or any of the legacy frequencies listed in the database?

Thanks
Old 02-29-2012, 9:23 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

They have VIPER talkgroups, but they aren't used as far as I know, unless there's a large emergency (such as a hurricane) or for some odd reason a unit is out of the county. Also, the legacy frequencies listed in the database are no longer used. I do know there is a backup analog channel,(I've been told its the old 155.925MHz fire frequency, but I haven't confirmed this, though I do know they have one since we do mutual aid with Currituck Country, and Hatteras island also has a couple of VHF tac channels).

One of the other guys who are more familiar with the new system will have to chime in on this though.

Last edited by jsncrso; 02-29-2012 at 9:58 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 03-03-2012, 9:25 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsncrso View Post
and Hatteras island also has a couple of VHF tac channels).

One of the other guys who are more familiar with the new system will have to chime in on this though.
And those VHF tac channels would be??? I'm in Avon.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:16 PM
Mike
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

154.25000 158.95500 186.2 PL Hatteras Island Rescue Squad
155.26500 107.2 PL Hatteras Island Rescue Squad
and have you ever heard anything on 154.325 for avon ?

Bad decisions make good stories.
Old 03-04-2012, 9:35 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I haven't, but I haven't listened to VHF since the Dare 800 system came up. I'll program them in now and let you know if I hear anything.

Rob N4JKL
Old 04-24-2014, 8:59 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Please GET RID of the VHF in the scanner feed. It is particularly annoying since it kills other traffic going on while the scanner is jumping from the 800 system to VHF.

I was listening to an archive of a particular incident that occurred here, and missed half of what was going on because of this. Nobody cares about the tones.
Echolink Node #581717
Sponsored links
Old 04-25-2014, 6:11 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

The intereference bothers me more than it does you, trust me.

Much of the "jumping" is just interference and not because the scannner keeps going back to VHF, although it does contribute to it. The delay in picking up transmissions sometimes is because I'm also scanning NC VIPER and it takes around 2 full seconds for each digital system to be processed by the scanner whereas a county radio will decode a transmission instantly (this is very evident when a radio is cleared then re-keyed abruptly). My scanner also cannot prioritize talkgroups (such as fire dispatch, not sure if it's the scanner or a radio system limitation) on the 800 system so if I delete VHF, you will still miss just as much if not more traffic due to interference or law enforcement talking.

Unfortunately, most of the problem is just the processing limitations of my 996xt scanner. I'm planning on replacing my scanner with a BCD536HP or one of the new Whistler ones in the near future and I may get rid of the VHF dispatch then if the performance is satisfactory.

Last edited by jsncrso; 04-25-2014 at 6:55 PM..
Old 04-25-2014, 8:12 PM

I personally like hearing the tones, which up until last week when I had to borrow the power adapter I kept my old analog scanner still going at home. When I have the stream up at work I don't pay 100% attention to the talking, but if I hear a tone I listen to what's going on. The level difference is perhaps the annoying part.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:04 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I don't understand scanning VIPER around here... Nothing goes on but the occasional A-100 unit calling Raleigh, or vice-versa.... The feed would be a lot more seamless without VIPER, or VHF.
Echolink Node #581717
Old 04-27-2014, 10:06 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by robschonk View Post
I haven't, but I haven't listened to VHF since the Dare 800 system came up. I'll program them in now and let you know if I hear anything.

Rob N4JKL
Check /w K4HAT Richard (or is it Donnie W4HAT?). He's a member of Buxton FD. He should be able to tell you what's in use in the island.
www.geocities.ws/scanseva Hampton Roads Scanner Page
Old 04-27-2014, 10:33 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc4jgc View Post
Check /w K4HAT Richard (or is it Donnie W4HAT?). He's a member of Buxton FD. He should be able to tell you what's in use in the island.
Richard (K4HAT) is chief of Frisco VFD. Randy is W4HAT.

Everything in use on the South end is listed in the Database. Both Fire repeaters, Hatteras Island Rescue repeater, and assorted TAC freqs.
Echolink Node #581717
Old 04-28-2014, 5:37 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

KX4KDH, you are right. Originally I had VIPER up to listen to HP and Dare MedFlight, but HP doesn't say a whole lot and MedFlight is now (AFAIK) fully patched over to Dare's 800 system. You can also every once in a while hear patient reports to OBH, but scanning that sort of thing is prohibited against this site's TOS and many agencies have been using cell phones for that anyway.

I'll go ahead and lockout VIPER completely and see what that does. Let me know if it improves things. I'm still going to turn it on during hurricanes and other disasters for state agencies but I think scanning it full time is pointless for the most part.

Last edited by jsncrso; 04-28-2014 at 5:54 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 04-28-2014, 5:45 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

You'll find that Dare Medflight uses the talk group labeled "DMF LZ" within the Dare 800 system. No need to monitor VIPER for that. Can't remember the TGID right off hand. EDIT.... TGID 14618
Echolink Node #581717

Last edited by KX4KDH; 04-28-2014 at 5:50 PM..
Old 04-28-2014, 5:59 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

And you're probably right about it being patched thru VIPER, which is why it sounds like absolute crap when DMF is calling in.
Echolink Node #581717