RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum

North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of North Carolina.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 2:45 PM

Default WAKE COUNTY listener "talk group" for Smartphones

All- As one who regularly monitors Wake County public safety, I noticed there was no place for others here in Wake to communicate when breaking events occur. What is he talking about you ask? Consider if there was a Nextel-like talk-group just to announce breaking events for those who are not monitoring at the time but want to be notified. Sure, there are text message based alerts and the Alert feature for the Scanner Radio phone app but what about a place to be logged in via an app on the smartphone that operates like a talkgroup on the trunked system (or Nextel)?

Well, in fact there is such an app, called Zello. Zello. Live conversation. it is FREE and uses minimal battery power in standby.

I have been using it with a password protected channel created with friends for several months now. The app allows you to monitor as many talk groups simultaneously as you want, plus 1 to 1 PTT functions.

With that said, I created Wake County, NC 911 for just this purpose. Install Zello on your iPhone, Android or Blackberry, or even on your windows PC! Create a username. Once set up, Go to the options to - Add A Channel - and search Wake County and add it to your talkgroup list.

Again, this is to be used sparingly for the benefit of alerting other listeners who may not be listening at the moment of breaking law, fire and EMS events in the county.

IF it gets abused, let me know and I will implement a password in order to access the channel.
Sponsored links
Old 08-20-2012, 2:48 PM

P.S.- IF others outside the county are interested for their own county and need any help setting it up, send me a message.
Old 08-20-2012, 3:13 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Been using it for a while now between friends in Charlotte, Asheville, and Greensboro. We've got a common channel established for random occasions where we all want to talk outside our own private channels. I definitely recommend checking it out. Works for Android, iPhones, and PCs.
Old 08-20-2012, 3:15 PM

I think this is a good idea. They had something like this in the New York City/New Jersey area called Metro Fire Radio. It was kind of like a club with it's member made up of Public Safety personnel, News personnel, and scanner buffs. They used three UHF Repeaters to report major incidents in the tri-state area to other members. Most of the time it was multiple alarm fires and motor vehicle accidents.

Link if interested - -{ Metro Fire Radio }-

For the Wake County Talkgroup, is there going to be some type of protocol for reporting major incidents or are we just going to use common sense approach?
Old 08-21-2012, 6:39 AM
KE4ZNR@radioreference.com
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I have added the channel.
Good idea Randy as long as folks don't abuse the service.
Thanks for setting this up!
Happy Monitoring
Marshall KE4ZNR

@KE4ZNR on Twitter
http://instagram.com/KE4ZNR
Sponsored links
Old 08-21-2012, 7:15 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Sounds great I'm in !

Jim
Old 08-21-2012, 9:11 AM

Exclamation

Thanks everyone for the comments and for joining the channel!

When I was in NY "back in the day" in FDNY - EMS volunteer on LI as well, I remember these groups on UHF repeaters. Well, technology has now made it much easier. I believe this concept of using Zello could expand beyond just Wake. It could go statewide with a channel just for the state too. 1 step at a time though.

A Nash Co. channel is now active as per RMPDCOP
Old 08-21-2012, 9:16 AM

By the way, I considered at one time a group text messaging based system by location but the requires that users forfeit private information, i.e. cell phone numbers. I just don't see that happening, but Zello makes it very easy.
Old 08-21-2012, 9:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squad101 View Post
I think this is a good idea. They had something like this in the New York City/New Jersey area called Metro Fire Radio. It was kind of like a club with it's member made up of Public Safety personnel, News personnel, and scanner buffs. They used three UHF Repeaters to report major incidents in the tri-state area to other members. Most of the time it was multiple alarm fires and motor vehicle accidents.

Link if interested - -{ Metro Fire Radio }-

For the Wake County Talkgroup, is there going to be some type of protocol for reporting major incidents or are we just going to use common sense approach?

In regards to protocol, I would say common sense for now. Major car accidents, working structure fires, large brush fires, airplane incidents (even emergency landings before they happen), police pursuits, active shootings, perhaps robberies that are confirmed by 911 call takers and dispatched as such.
Sponsored links
Old 08-21-2012, 9:31 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

I may have to look into this and might join even tho im not around wake im not but about 30 min from rm
John 15:13 - Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
Old 08-21-2012, 3:44 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

so how does it work is it like a walki talki or is it more like skype with out the video like over the internet type deal
John 15:13 - Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
Old 08-21-2012, 3:59 PM
Database Admin

It's a push to talk app. Simple as that. Push the button on a channel and talk to everyone. Or private line someone and talk one on one.
Old 08-21-2012, 6:08 PM

I joined, could be a useful tool.
Old 08-21-2012, 8:23 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

yea i got it heard rmpdcop (greg i think) talking to another guy testing it out earlier was kinda cool kinda like ham with out the fcc all on your back
Old 08-24-2012, 1:51 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for all who joined. Some have said this is was a long time in coming but great to see we are approaching a dozen logged on users at any given time in just a few days of the original post. I will keep this as an open 'radio' channel as long as it does not get abused. Feel free to join if you want to know of or announce any breaking emergency events in the county.

Last edited by Randyg711; 08-24-2012 at 1:54 PM..
Sponsored links
Old 08-24-2012, 1:56 PM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

This is a great app, and Idea.
Old 08-24-2012, 2:03 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

we need a roll call for it tho to let everyone know whos who and maybe a weekly net type idea to make sure everyone can hear everyone and what not and just to get a little chit chat in maybe? but all in all its kinda fun
Old 08-25-2012, 7:14 AM
Database Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconrider8 View Post
we need a roll call for it tho to let everyone know whos who and maybe a weekly net type idea to make sure everyone can hear everyone and what not and just to get a little chit chat in maybe? but all in all its kinda fun
Excellent idea. I have everyone in my contact list but have no clue who they are.
Old 08-25-2012, 9:07 AM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SPH-D600 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMPDCOP
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconrider8 View Post
Excellent idea. I have everyone in my contact list but have no clue who they are.
How is 10 am tomorrow, Sunday for everyone? On the channel.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:01 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Sat would be better for me and what not im rec0n in roanoke rapids and we are flooded i said something on the wake site this morning just to let everyone know and what not