RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum

North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of North Carolina.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 7:36 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Milair watching in NC

Hey folks, i wonder if anyone would be able to answer a question for me, i will be travelling thru NC enroute to Fla during the week of 11-15 Feb, i will have time to spend while on the way and would like to do some milair watching at some military establishments, i will be using a HP-1 along with a 396T and 996T. My question would be....... if i was able to travel to one or two bases which ones would likely have the most active? i was thinking of trying the Dare range in the north end and maybe Pope or Cherry Point, any advice from the residents of the state? i will have no wife with me or kids so scanning wont be interupted by "how much longer"or "why do you listen to that noise?" i am sure some of you know what i mean :-) Looking for any helpful info and thanks in advance
Gary

BCD996T
HP-1
Sponsored links
Old 01-07-2013, 6:58 PM

You can give Pope a try. I am not sure how busy Cherry Point normally is. Another base you can try is Seymore Johnson AFB.
Old 01-07-2013, 7:59 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks, i will see where Seymour Johnson is and see if i can fit it in....thanks

BCD996T
HP-1
Old 01-08-2013, 7:19 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Default Seymour Johnson

From I-95 in Selma NC, take US 70 east for approximately 25 miles to NC 111 on the east side of Goldsboro. Turn right on NC 111 and go approximately 1/4 mile to the shopping center on your left, it will have a Food Lion, Bojangles and McDonalds. If they are landing on Runway 26, park facing north and everything will pass right in front of you at low altitude. If they are using Runway 08, you will want to park facing west (looking at the highway) to see the takeoffs.
Old 01-08-2013, 8:34 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDrisc3480 View Post
I am not sure how busy Cherry Point normally is.
They are usualy busy at least during the summer months. I vacation on Emerald Isle and see them every day.

Uniden BCD536HP and BC350A in the truck, a BC350A hosting a feed a BC125AT playing several rolls. Looking at getting a BCD436HP.
Sponsored links
Old 01-08-2013, 11:05 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

another spot to go is to VA Beach man in the summer oceania is crazy with jets in and out
John 15:13 - Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
Old 01-08-2013, 4:19 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconrider8 View Post
another spot to go is to VA Beach man in the summer oceania is crazy with jets in and out
Oceana is my first stop, i will spend a night there and poke around for a while then plan on going down thru the Dare range area and then kinda trying to catch any bases that are active, I plan on having Giantkiller and a bunch of other stuff loaded and hope for the best while driving, i did find the milair thread on here and have been reading the posts on there trying to get as much intel as possiblle, also have had a pm from a local user and that was very helpful as well. pretty excited about this trip and doing some interesting scanning
Gary

BCD996T
HP-1
Old 01-09-2013, 12:03 AM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerg View Post
Oceana is my first stop, i will spend a night there and poke around for a while then plan on going down thru the Dare range area and then kinda trying to catch any bases that are active, I plan on having Giantkiller and a bunch of other stuff loaded and hope for the best while driving, i did find the milair thread on here and have been reading the posts on there trying to get as much intel as possiblle, also have had a pm from a local user and that was very helpful as well. pretty excited about this trip and doing some interesting scanning
Gary
Come to the Dare range the third Thursday in July...you WON'T be disappointed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68C5bkbDNLs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm56PBKeNZ0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcuEDv48IWs

For more: dare bombing range - YouTube

You don't see this stuff at any airshow! There's nothing like live fire!'

Also, if you go to Oceana, stop by Fentress just south of there, they often are doing practice carrier landings there and that's a lot more action than Oceana itself most days.

Last edited by jsncrso; 01-09-2013 at 12:09 AM..
Old 01-09-2013, 7:42 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

I had heard that they didnt do the third thurs anymore? thats great to hear they still do, i may do just that in July, i have been to Oceana before but will check out Fentress this time, good info, thanks, is there a website for the range day?

BCD996T
HP-1
Sponsored links
Old 01-09-2013, 10:49 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelerg View Post
I had heard that they didnt do the third thurs anymore? thats great to hear they still do, i may do just that in July, i have been to Oceana before but will check out Fentress this time, good info, thanks, is there a website for the range day?

Oh geez, I hope what you say isn't true! I haven't been in a couple of years due to work, though I know they definitely did it in 2010. I'll have to ask around.
Old 01-10-2013, 7:50 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

That would be great to find out, not worh driving from Canada if no events, keep us posted if you find out anything about it.

BCD996T
HP-1