NASCAR Races for next 2 weekends

Status
Not open for further replies.

RHinNC

New Homepatrol-1 owner. I live within 7 miles of the Charlotte Motor Speedway.

How would I go about updating my scanner to receive the radio transmissions from the speedway/cars/officials etc?

Thanks

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to RR.com!
I have done a quick search and did not find a NASCAR "hpe" file that you could import into Sentinel. My suggestion: You can copy/paste into Sentinel from frequency info you find online or I can try to help you put together one later on this evening after I get home if I get time.
Let me see how my schedule goes a little later on today.
Marshall KE4ZNR

New Homepatrol-1 owner. I live within 7 miles of the Charlotte Motor Speedway.

How would I go about updating my scanner to receive the radio transmissions from the speedway/cars/officials etc?

Thanks

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
7 miles? Between the poor regular hp1 antenna and that distance Im guessing you may not hear much of anything short of the possible spotters that are on the pressbox, being higher up maybe.
Off hand don't know what wattage the radios they use put out though.

Discussion was talked about as well previously at http://forums.radioreference.com/so...scussion-forum/266735-racing-frequencies.html and has a good frequency link

mikev

Most teams are using lower power radios... Not likely to be more than 2 or 5 watts max. Being UHF, outside of a couple miles, you're not likely to receive very much if anything. The track's communications (which most people don't really care about) might be going through a repeater... NASCAR's might also.

There are plenty of frequency lists for the race teams, NASCAR, and the media (PRN/MRN Radio, Fox/SPEED, etc.) that converge at the track. I will usually program primary and secondary frequencies into my scanner, but it's rare that any team is using their secondary frequency, much less a third or fourth.

Here's just one of the better lists freely available...
2013 Nascar Sprint Cup Scanner Frequencies

Also note that that list is only for the Cup teams... not the truck or Nationwide series.

trumpetman

Database Admin
I'm fairly certain that most of the officials are running TRBO now. So don't expect to hear much from those guys.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

Driver/Crew Chief/Spotter comms are mandated by NASCAR to be clear analog FM. Intra-crew comms have been going to MotoTrbo according to other threads. I don't know about NASCAR safety crews or other officials.

nitroboie

Was hoping OP would've replied by now. Last week was a good chance to test out his setup, but he'll get more chances this weekend.

OP, I'm about 3miles from the track and can pick up some of the drivers coms. Danica's crew chief was clear as a bell, couldn't pick up the spotter, and her traffic was garble at times.

It's tough to monitor the teams, but the CMS channels are easy to monitor:
North Carolina Sports - The RadioReference Wiki

This weekend also presents a good opportunity at catching some MilAir traffic from the fly-overs.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

I would doubt that privately owned vintage military aircraft would be heard on the MilAir band. They'd be heard on the VHF Airband. (Active duty/Reserve units aren't doing military flyovers due to sequestration.)

mrstangblb

I'm headed to the 600 after church tomorrow, too, and I didn't realize it was going to be so hard to find the frequencies! I just got in a Baofeng UV-B5 a couple of weeks ago and didn't know I was going to the race until yesterday. Now I can take it along and enjoy the race even more! Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.