Problem with Swain Co Sheriff Dispatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

W4TZM

Premium Subscriber
I'm having problems with monitoring the Swain Co Sheriff/Bryson City PD dispatch. The database lists the frequency as 460.425 with a 100.0 Hz PL tone. My BCT8 doesn't handle that and that's fine, but I feel like my Yaesu FT60 should. If I set that frequency for 100.0 Hz tone, I still get the same garbage. This seems like something that's probably fairly rudimentary that I don't understand (my time in the VHF/UHF world is very limited). Can anyone tell me what I'm hearing and what I need to do to correctly receive this? I've linked a video below.

Bryson City Dispatch - YouTube

Thanks

Tommy W4TZM

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Looks like while going through narrowbanding this last fall Swain Co Sheriff decided to
switch their communications to NXDN (IDAS, NEXEDGE).
Having a look at their license (WPBJ546) you can see the
following emission designators: 4K00F1E and 8K30F1E.
Look at the Wiki Page for Emission Designators and you will see those
designators match up with NXDN/NEXEDGE.
Marshall KE4ZNR

ZapZ

Premium Subscriber
I talked to a local radio tech two weeks ago, not only did they go to nexedge but they also went to total encryption. 14 radio units and they are encrypted. The tech also said that he thinks everyone out here will be encrypted within the next year. I listened to a chase involving Jackson Cty. Sheriff, Cherokee and Swain Cty., Jackson and Cherokee could talk and listen to each other, Swain couldn't be heard. Guess where the perp got away? Who will watch the watchers when the radios go silent?

Status
Not open for further replies.