XTS 3000 & Cabarrus County questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
I was wondering, how is it possible, if at all possible, to receive the Cabarrus county talkgroups on a two way radio, Motorola XTS 3000. I don't want to transmit or anything, and don't want to have to buy a scanner since I already have a radio. I know scanners can do it with no problem, picking up the digital that is. Can anyone let me know if this is possible. If it is, please walk me through it.

Mod edit: was originally titled "Receiving VIPER" even though the thread has nothing to do with VIPER

Last edited by a moderator:

SCPD

QRT
Programming Motorola XTS3000 by Hand

I just bought a Motorola XTS 3000 model III. I was wondering how I can program talkgroups and/or frequencies using the keypad since I don't yet have the programming cable and software.

trumpetman

Database Admin
I don't believe you can passively monitor a 9600 system, even with a 3000. Full P25 systems require affiliation before it will unmute and track. Like all the other threads, I highly suggest sticking with a scanner. You're limited to 10 TGs only on a professional radio. It's risky to passively attempt to monitor a P25 system, especially considering that you're relatively new to the hobby. The people in charge of maintaining the Charlotte system and Cabarrus zone do browse these forums and are very vigilent about preventing unauthorized radios from interfering with the system. My advice would be to do a little research and reading and get familiar with the system on a scanner first before diving into the deep end.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Go over to p25.ca and ask the same question or better yet do a search on their site, since this topic is taboo here at RR and Batlabs(dead I think). 9600 bd can be passive monitored, and you can get 15 talk groups of scan with mods, but it takes proper programing or you will end up with a brick radio or worse interfere with real public safety comms.

Last edited:

ts548

Give it up. We know your a volunteer firefighter and want access to the Charlotte system. It's not going to happen. Sell the Motorola and buy a scanner.

svfd17

Although I'm not from North Carolina, I stumbled on this post. To echo what radioman2001 has said please visit p25.CA and read some posts on that site as it will help you out a great deal.

SCPD

QRT
Give it up. We know your a volunteer firefighter and want access to the Charlotte system. It's not going to happen. Sell the Motorola and buy a scanner.

Well seeing how programming the frequency is the only way to go, how well is the antenna on the XTS 3000s? I'm just going to have to use the analog dispatch frequency.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
As I said in your other thread (which for some reason you titled "Receiving VIPER" even though it does not have anything to do with VIPER):

--Do NOT create any more threads on trying to access Cabarrus Counties radio system.
You have been given the info you need in this and your other threads on this same topic.
Posting multiple threads on the same topic (after that topic has been answered multiple
times) is not allowed here. It creates forum clutter.

I would advise you to carefully consider your next few posts before making them.
Marshall KE4ZNR

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Scooper and I discussed things over PM and have come to an
understanding. He just wants to be able to monitor the Cabarrus County
radio system. I have helped point him in the right direction and hopefully
we can all move on from here.
Going to close this down per his request.
Marshall KE4ZNR

Status
Not open for further replies.