RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum

North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of North Carolina.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 9:49 PM

I. don't believe every emergency response vehicle and dispatchers will ever be able to get it together in a real nation wide emergency with Viper and all those pages of frequencies . This is only my worst fear should any disaster should occur ,I hope I am wrong !
Sponsored links

Old 07-22-2014, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdensleysr View Post
I. don't believe every emergency response vehicle and dispatchers will ever be able to get it together in a real nation wide emergency with Viper and all those pages of frequencies . This is only my worst fear should any disaster should occur ,I hope I am wrong !
What are you talking about by saying "I. don't believe every emergency response vehicle and dispatchers will ever be able to get it together in a real nation wide emergency with Viper and all those pages of frequencies." ?

If you're talking about the VIPER database page here on RadioReference that is just that, a reference to those monitoring the system with a scanner or otherwise..........

Any "Emergency Response Vehicle" or 'Dispatchers" using the system during a local, regional, statewide, or national emergency have radios in the field that are ready to go and don't have to "dial in" any frequencies or go through pages of info, and the dispatchers have consoles with direct access to VIPER who also don't have to go through pages of info to use them.

The NC VIPER system has been proven time and time again during emergencies, and if there is an issue at a site there are redundancies in place to compensate for it. Not to mention the VIPER sites on wheels that can be deployed.

Not sure where you came up where with the idea of having to go through pages of info to use VIPER but you might want to reconsider things........... Not to mention digging up an old thread...........
Old 07-23-2014, 3:14 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

I am going to turn on the Hi Band channels again, but does anyone know how long Low band will be alive? I started listening to dispatch on Low band with my BCT15X and it really sounds nice. Also nice to have these in my FT-857D when mobile if I am not on the other bands. And for nostalgia I have 42.94 and 42.60 in my old Craig 4350A. This first scanner I ever owned. Re-tuned it recently and it still works good.
Old 07-23-2014, 4:24 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD5722 View Post

****** SNIP

. Not to mention digging up an old thread...........
That's exactly why I did not reply with a very similar reply to yours FD.

Some people are going to be anti change no matter how efficiently the system works in the real world. A lot of people that are against the interop solutions have never had the experience of being in a chase with a vehicle and trying to communicate with multiple agencies across county lines AND trying to make sure dispatch knows where you actually are with a communications system that has limited coverage or capabilities. Trust me, it's not a whole lot of fun.

Draf

Last edited by Drafin; 07-23-2014 at 4:25 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 07-23-2014, 7:11 PM

Smile North Carlonia Discussion

Sorry about the comment I made about Viper. I will be the first to say that it should work unless you have someone like me pushing the buttons. There is one system which never fails and that is our Ham radio operators. Thanks for your comments. Guess I am too old to accept some of the new electronics out there!
Sponsored links

Old 07-23-2014, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdensleysr View Post
Sorry about the comment I made about Viper. I will be the first to say that it should work unless you have someone like me pushing the buttons. There is one system which never fails and that is our Ham radio operators. Thanks for your comments. Guess I am too old to accept some of the new electronics out there!
This statement makes quite a bit more sense. As far as it failing because you're pushing the buttons, don't beat yourself up like that. For those not familiar with how VIPER works, and the radios that work with it, can be a bit overwhelming. I'd bet if you took 30 minutes to sit down with someone and let them show you how VIPER, or any other P25 system in our state works, then you'd have no trouble at all navigating the radios.

I also agree 110% about ham radio operators. I volunteer for the Red Cross and am working towards the certs I need to move on board with our DST team. We rely heavily on ham radio during disaster operations.

Yes I've used 800/trunked radios (Motorola specifically) for close to 16 years. Where I live we have an outstanding P25/TRS, and an outstanding group of techs that maintain it. We also have standalone VHF and UHF transmitters. The VHF is for county fire and EMS, UHF is just a backup type deal. Even though I have always had an 800 radio I've also maintained my own fleet of VHF and UHF portables & mobiles just for the simple fact that they will still work if the trunk system fails.

Again, thanks for clarifying a bit better what you meant, and please if you have any questions please feel free to ask. Especially if it comes to VIPER and how it operates!
Old 07-25-2014, 6:55 AM

You know, aside from the Rowan Sheriff Explorers, I haven't heard anything on UHF here in quite some time....
Old 07-25-2014, 7:18 AM

I agree with you there Shannon. I've not checked in a while but the 453.0500 (Rowan Shf Explorers Rptr) is down or has been taken down. Other than that UHF is dead around here other than the N4UH ham machine in China Grove, and the other ham machine in Cleveland on Young's Mtn.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Old 07-25-2014, 9:14 AM

Also, I haven't heard any SHP High Band traffic in years around this area. I used to hear it a good bit in the mid 1990s but since that time it's more or less faded away. I still keep the frequencies active in my radios though, because you never know!
Old 07-26-2014, 9:14 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

In response to the OP, here in Macon County, I still hear occasional NCHP traffic on low-band and have heard rare use of high-band - 680 I believe - along with the National Law Enforcement Channel (155.475). In the case of 475, it's usually very difficult to determine which agency is using it unless they identify themselves (rare). NCHP uses VIPER a majority of the time here and I don't know why some units use low-band and others use VIPER.
Old 07-26-2014, 9:23 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Just a couple days on my new rig. Haven't scanned the bands in a decade. I'm picking up 4 Viper towers with a 40km radius of Cape Carteret with nothing but a Radio Shack discone in the attic. Absolutely loving it. Plenty of SHP action. In fact, they're my favorite.
Old 07-27-2014, 8:17 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrofire31 View Post
In response to the OP, here in Macon County, I still hear occasional NCHP traffic on low-band and have heard rare use of high-band - 680 I believe - along with the National Law Enforcement Channel (155.475). In the case of 475, it's usually very difficult to determine which agency is using it unless they identify themselves (rare). NCHP uses VIPER a majority of the time here and I don't know why some units use low-band and others use VIPER.
Ive caught plenty of radio chatter over time regarding the use of lowband vs. Viper. It seems to be personal preference to the trooper and radio coverage. Here in the Henderson/Buncombe area it seems that wind and lightning strikes take there toll on the viper towers regularly and with the topography if one viper tower goes down then a mobile might not be able to affiliate with another within a good sized geographical area. I do not predict vhf low band is going anywhete in western nc anytime soon.Vhf hi is pretty much dead here now with viper at full roll out but have heard use of 155.475 (no pl) as a shp common channel.
Old 07-27-2014, 8:41 AM
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrofire31 View Post
I had a Patrolwoman tell me, when I asked her why she used low band instead of VIPER, that no
one hears her on the car to station, but everyone hears her on the VIPER. She is off the road
now and on Guv's security, so I haven't seen her lately to ask if she still favors low band.

Ronnie