Trip to Asheville Area

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Hello all

I will be traveling to the Asheville area soon. I will be bringing my HP-1 scanner with me.

A couple questions:
How much activity is on the Buncombe County 700MHz System? Is it better to just listen to the Conventional frequencies listed in the database for Buncombe County?

Is it worth listening to VIPER that way? Who and what is active that way on VIPER?

I assume the Asheville Public Safety 800MHz system would be best for activity in the Asheville area?

Is there a lot of activity on the Great Smokey Mountains NPS and Blue Ridge Parkway frequencies listed in the database? More activity on the digital or analog frequencies? Any use of encryption?

Thanks for the help!

trumpetman

Database Admin
Hello all

I will be traveling to the Asheville area soon. I will be bringing my HP-1 scanner with me.

A couple questions:
How much activity is on the Buncombe County 700MHz System? Is it better to just listen to the Conventional frequencies listed in the database for Buncombe County?

Sheriff's Office has several radios on the system and last I checked there were several patches across all of the main dispatch channels. It wouldn't hurt to have both enabled in your scan list but between coverage and scan speed, I'd recommend keeping VHF.

Is it worth listening to VIPER that way? Who and what is active that way on VIPER?

VIPER is very active in the area. You will hear NCSHP from all over WNC, MAMA medical helicopter, NC Wildlife Resources Commission, and a few other odds and ends, but no one in the area as far as city/county goes uses VIPER for primary comms.

I assume the Asheville Public Safety 800MHz system would be best for activity in the Asheville area?

Yep. Asheville is primarily on the 800 MHz system. AFD has a patch to VHF on 158.820 but it's audio/coverage isn't the greatest and you only hear the console.

Is there a lot of activity on the Great Smokey Mountains NPS and Blue Ridge Parkway frequencies listed in the database? More activity on the digital or analog frequencies? Any use of encryption?

GSMNP & BRP are very active and sound extremely good. Encryption is minimal, but not full time for right now.

Thanks for the help!

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Hello all

A couple questions:

Sheriff's Office has several radios on the system and last I checked there were several patches across all of the main dispatch channels. It wouldn't hurt to have both enabled in your scan list but between coverage and scan speed, I'd recommend keeping VHF.

VIPER is very active in the area. You will hear NCSHP from all over WNC, MAMA medical helicopter, NC Wildlife Resources Commission, and a few other odds and ends, but no one in the area as far as city/county goes uses VIPER for primary comms.

Yep. Asheville is primarily on the 800 MHz system. AFD has a patch to VHF on 158.820 but it's audio/coverage isn't the greatest and you only hear the console.

GSMNP & BRP are very active and sound extremely good. Encryption is minimal, but not full time for right now.

Thanks for the help!

AWESOME! Thank you for the descriptions!

Thank you for the link!

Status
Not open for further replies.