Onslow County/City of Jacksonville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well,

I appears that the new system has been switched on and is up and running.

I appears to be a P25 Phase II (TDMA) system as I cannot decode the audio but one of the new control channels (853.7875) is decoding fine and showing lots of activity on Unitrunker. The sysid I am seeing is 5DF. I am getting the same sysid on 859.0875, but neither Onslow County or Jacksonville have an FCC license for that frequency.

The only TGs I've heard on the older existing system (7D26) is Jacksonville PD and Jacksonville PD. I'm sure there are a few other users still there, but I haven't heard them yet since it is the weekend, and mostly law enforcement and fire are active on weekends.

The patch between Sheriff's Dispatch on 800 and the old 155.565 frequency appears to be shut down as well as I have not hear ANY activity on it all day up to this point.

The only scanner I have capable of digital is a PSR600, so I am very limited in the info I can provide.

Last edited:

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I just heard Camp Lejeune Dispatch doing their morning radio checks and County Fire responded, but only on the VHF side. The County Fire TG on the old system was quiet. When they went to the VHF Sheriff's Dispatch, the Onslow County Dispatcher came on and said that they were on the "old" Sheriff's frequency and that they (the Sheriff's Department) had moved to the new 800 system.

It's strange though as the new system is using (at least) one of the old control channels (853.7875) and the old system is still up using the newest of its control channels (852.7875).

On a positive note, the talkgroups that I'm seeing on the Home Patrol are not encrypted. I'm in the same boat as Whitehelmet1202 and do not have a scanner that will decode this system.

Last edited:

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I would imagine PSR-800s, WS1080s, BCD436Ts, BCD536Ts as well as any other manufacturers gear.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I don't suppose any of which will decode the system with any sort of quality, being that the system is simulcast, using the same frequencies at each of its several sites.

I don't suppose any of which will decode the system with any sort of quality, being that the system is simulcast, using the same frequencies at each of its several sites.

Regarding the control channel, I can decode it with Unitrunker most of the time, but it sounds as if there are multiple sites transmitting on the 853.7875 control channel.

I was able to catch bits and pieces on the new system for TG 85FB (34299) when there was a fire going on a few minutes ago in Hubert. I could decode most of it as normal P25 most of the time, but then it would start breaking up, going in and out....

I'm still messing with my scanner and looking for more info....

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I'll do some more checking too. If you could hear it as "normal" P25, then I'd have to say that it is not TDMA. Was 85FB the Co Fire TG?

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Those are the only ones I have found that decode Phase II. Looks like I'll be looking for one after the first of the year at tax refund time...if I get a refund this year....

HP-2 will also decode Phase II TDMA. :cool:
Marshall KE4ZNR

I'll do some more checking too. If you could hear it as "normal" P25, then I'd have to say that it is not TDMA. Was 85FB the Co Fire TG?

85FB (34299) is the County Fire TG. I am hearing it again fine this morning, but that is the only TG I can decode out of the 3 or 4 I have seen TGIDs for.

One thing to now, I can go to 859.0875 on my scanner and there is a control channel there that IDs as sysid 5DF, the same as this one, but Onslow County nor the City of Jacksonville are licensed an that frequency. If I put it under 5DF as a control control channel, it decodes TGIDs on the screen but the frequency it is told to go to is in the 900 range.

Perhaps they are running in mixed mode or something, but I have yet to see any indication of encryption on Unitrunker.

HP-2 will also decode Phase II TDMA. :cool:
Marshall KE4ZNR

I just saw some of the specs on the HP-2, but then I saw the price tag and I stopped looking...

I wish I could find something like the PSR600 that would decode TDMA, I just don't like the newer scanners out there...

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Mine is loud and clear with no drops. I guess it's because I'm so close to the Parkertown Tower. Event 1 is 8637. So far only Fire and EMS are on the lower LCNs. It looks like the higher LCNs use the same frequencies as the lower. This leads me to believe that they are adding support for the older radios and allowing them to do "standard" P25 and once they upgrade their radios, the system admins will migrate everyone over to Phase II. That is just my assumption, but it seems logical to me.

Mine is loud and clear with no drops. I guess it's because I'm so close to the Parkertown Tower. Event 1 is 8637. So far only Fire and EMS are on the lower LCNs. It looks like the higher LCNs use the same frequencies as the lower. This leads me to believe that they are adding support for the older radios and allowing them to do "standard" P25 and once they upgrade their radios, the system admins will migrate everyone over to Phase II. That is just my assumption, but it seems logical to me.

I agree, it makes sense. Just aggravating, that's all....

I'm continuing to run Unitrunker to catch TGs and such, still no signs of encryption, but I've seen a few new unknown TGids pop up this evening.

Here is what I have seen thus far:

34217 (85A9)
34227 (85B3)
34282 (85EA) - EMS DISPATCH
34289 (85F1)
34290 (85F2)
34299 (85FB) - COUNTY FIRE DISPATCH
34324 (8614) - POSSIBLE LE USE (Large number of hits in a small amount of time)
34359 (8637) - EVENTS 1
34360 (8638)
34381 (864D)

Just IDed TG 34289 (85F1) as EMS to Onslow Mem ER, submitted to database...

Slowly but surely getting there.

My new scanner should arrive Thursday or Friday.

I don't think all of the sites are up and running right now. When I decode 853.7875 it only shows 1 site and in the Peers list there is nothing else, but in the site status it shows site 1 and connected.

However, If I decode on 859.0875, you'll see sysID 5DF and it shows site 4 and site trunking mode, but once again, Onslow County is not licensed for that frequency.

Got the new scanner up and running, and beginning to ID new talkgroups. I have submitted a few to the database and they are waiting to be added.

Been catching a few conversations on TG 8612 (34322) and a new one I found late last night 861C (34332). Mostly sounds like car-to-car etc since it sounds like officers doing some kind of stake out or jabbering back and forth with each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.