Scanner no longer receives, Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundancer2004

several years ago my wife purchased a Radio Shack Pro 94. At the time the store programmed it with the frequencies(Brunswick County NC).

well its had virtually no use since then. I downloaded the manual and began to fiddle with it.

I,m told all departments have gone to a system so scanners can not monitor.

Is there a way to re program , or am I SOL? thank you in advance. First time I have posted here so I hope I,m in the right place.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
This question would probably be more appropriate for the North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum as the people locally can advise you better on location specific details. You can get it moved there by clicking on the report button located at the top right corner of your original post (
report.gif
) if you wish. As for your question, I will try to help you out the best I can.

It looks like Brunswick County moved to VIPER in the past couple years, which is a P25 Phase I system. Sadly, this would mean that you are SOL in regards to being able to monitor with your current Pro-94. You may be able to pick up things on the old frequencies, more so on the FD side, but I don't have experience for your location to be able to say if that will be the case.

If you wish to monitor the county, you may want to plan on getting a P25 Phase I digital scanner. They start off pretty pricy. RadioShack will be having a sale for new Pro-651 and Pro-652 scanners for $300 (no power adapter/programming cable) from 11/27 to 11/29 to give you an idea of price range you would be dealing with. It might be possible to find a deal on used scanners. There are many other options available as well and I will be including a comprehensive list below. You will notice P25 Phase II scanners on the list below. These are generally more future proof in the event that VIPER were to upgrade to Phase II, but are not necessary to currently monitor VIPER and will generally be more expensive as well.

List of APCO Project 25 Digital Scanners

Currently Manufactured Phase II Scanners:
Note: Phase II scanners are backwards compatible and support Phase I.

Current Manufactured Phase I Scanners:

Formerly Manufactured Phase II Scanners:

Formerly Manufactured Phase I Scanners:

Older Formerly Manufactured Phase I Scanners:
Note: Does not support 700 MHz frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.