New to trunking, 800mhz and Viper

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernRoller

Premium Subscriber
I'm currently running a RS Pro2021 and being new to all this new technology. If i were to purchase a digital scanner that requires programming. What would I need to program in to receive Ashe Fire, Ashe Sheriff, Ashe EMS and NCHP Troop F? I look at the database for Ashe and get totally lost!!!

If I were to opt and go with say a Homepatrol1, would it load everything in my area according to the zipcode I enter?

Thanks in advance..

Drafin

In theory you would need nothing besides a digital trunking scanner. This would require you to hand program said scanner , which can be tedious at best and downright frustrating.

If you buy a Home Patrol (or the Whistler plug and play equivalents) based scanner you can indeed scan by zip code but that's not very efficient unless you are traveling. Favorite lists containing what you want to hear is much more efficient but is much easier to accomplish on a PC with software and a programming cable.

If you were to buy a non plug and play type scanner the easiest way to program it is to use a programming cable, software package, and a premium subscription here at Radio Reference. Basically you plug up the scanner, import what you want to hear through your software package and your premium account and you are ready to go.

The aforementioned method is easier to get your feet wet and the latter is a little more advanced , but in the end can give you more control and options later on. So if you are just wanting something to start with and tinker with the HP and other plug and play scanners are great to start with (and to be fair offer some pretty nice options with the extreme upgrade) and are much easier to get "right" out of the box. Both types are great options and only you can decide which is right for your personal situation and comfort level. And in the course of full disclosure, I own both types (and brands) of scanner and they each have their positives and negatives.

Draf

D

darunimal

Download sentinel and make a favorite list, it's free and you can do it for the UNIDEN HP1, HP2, BCD436HP, or BCD536HP Version of Sentinel, the later 3 are complaint with the newest of standards PHASE II (2) and wouldn't leave you technology behind, so to speak, bringing you up-to-date.

Drafin

I don't think there is one. It's not a very difficult program to use. It's pretty much just select what you want to monitor and put it in a favorites list.

Draf

SouthernRoller

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Drafin, like I stated earlier this is all new to me.. Is there somewhere I could d\l Sentinel and play with it some?

Drafin

HomePatrol for the HP1 and HP2, I assume that's the route you are going.

Also if you run into questions, I'd suggest searching the Uniden forums here at Radio Reference and at the above website. A lot of the basics have been covered repeatedly at both places. Anything that you can't find either place can probably be answered here.

Draf

Status
Not open for further replies.