Programming VIPER on BCD436

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
I apologize if this has been covered before. I'm looking for an efficient, easy way to program VIPER on my BCD436. Any suggestions on how to lay the system out? I travel quite a bit in the Piedmont & it seemed a whole lot easier with my PSR500 to just add the CCs and put it on roam (the scan speed was faster too). A GPS would be one way but I've read mixed reviews on how the towers turn on/off while traveling.

The other big question is how to setup the quick/site keys? Any help/advise would be great.

reconrider8

The way i do my Pro-106 is set each scan list up by county.ould be Local w 1 halifax 2 northampton 3 warren... just depending on where in heading if im going south from here on I95 1 halifax 2 nash 3 wilson ect... not sure if you can set it up like that on the 436 or not but if so it works really well... PS so if your traveling all you gotta do is hit the next scanlist and the one before to open/close the new/old county your in/just passed through

kg4pbd

I apologize if this has been covered before. I'm looking for an efficient, easy way to program VIPER on my BCD436. Any suggestions on how to lay the system out? I travel quite a bit in the Piedmont & it seemed a whole lot easier with my PSR500 to just add the CCs and put it on roam (the scan speed was faster too). A GPS would be one way but I've read mixed reviews on how the towers turn on/off while traveling.

The other big question is how to setup the quick/site keys? Any help/advise would be great.

I keep three Viper setups each as a favorites list. That way I can easily toggle them on and off.
One system is for home and has just the local and common talk groups, and just two Charlotte sites. The other two are location based. One has central state sites and the other has western state sites. They each have the talk groups appropriate for that area. With the GPS those two systems work great. You can take it a step further and refine the circle radius for sites. That seems to be less of an issue for me when I travel out of Charlotte and through less populated areas.

The key to traveling and using the GPS is to have custom systems. It takes more effort beforehand but eliminates things like secondary local PD talk groups that I'm not interested in.

NCFireman11

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for the input. How do you handle roaming TG's such as Medevac in your "home" scan list? The way the BCD scans is by tower, not by control channel for the site. Depending on where I am, I will hear adjacent Counties VIPER sites. By scanning multiple VIPER towers I can decode (up to 5-6 sites at work) in addition to my home TRS & conventional channels, my scan time increases. Is there a work around for this to speed up that scan time?

kg4pbd

Thank you for the input. How do you handle roaming TG's such as Medevac in your "home" scan list? The way the BCD scans is by tower, not by control channel for the site. Depending on where I am, I will hear adjacent Counties VIPER sites. By scanning multiple VIPER towers I can decode (up to 5-6 sites at work) in addition to my home TRS & conventional channels, my scan time increases. Is there a work around for this to speed up that scan time?

I've had the 436 for about 3 months, so still learning its nuances. When I first started using it I made a custom list for Viper. I didn't like the way it sat and cycled through each site that was within the "range" set for the radio. So for the home system I turned off location control and I locked out all but the site I wanted. As far as roaming talkgroups, I haven't noticed missing anything that I want to hear. Basically Troop H, Common, Med Center Air. If you want to listen to multiple sites it will increase your scan time. Not much you can do about that.

You can also assign quick keys to sites and toggle them on/off that way. My PSR800 does it better when it comes multi site systems, but with either radio I only want one site active at a time, and that is going to be a function of how you program the radio.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Once you go GPS you'll never want to go back....

I set up an extensive custom favorites list for my 536HP with all sites set to a 15 mile radius, and then for each county or agency I set up a series of rectangle GPS boxes to completely cover that county or in the case of statewide agencies, the whole state. I set the "range" to zero.

Works fantastic and switches automatically as I cross county lines. The GPS feature is only as good and accurate as you make it though.

troymail

Silent Key
I've programmed VIPER and other statewide systems (VA, MD) for various trips up and down I-95 and beyond.

For the Maryland system - which generally has "sites" that are more or less "per county", I assign each county site (and ASR sites within the county) to a different quick key. We have 23 counties (and a couple of additional "exceptions"). Let's say my favorites list is 0. My county system is assigned as system 24 (0.24). The state system is system 0 (0.0). The county site(s) of the state system are also assigned 24 (0.0.24). If I take the time to assign departments, I set those for 50-99. I use 61 for state police. So, in my programming for state police of the sate system is then 0.0.61.

VIPER is way too big for 100 quick keys and each site along the way tends to stand alone. For example, in Brunswick County there are something like 4 sites along Route 17. In Maryland, these would be a single simulcast site but VIPER apparently has these all set up as a stand-alone site - waaaay too many sites.

Since I drive down I-95, for VA and NC, I generally assigned all of the sites along the route to a quick key in the order I'm going to pass through (and return). For those sites I won't even come close to, I either delete them or set them to QK 99 and turn then off.

If I were living in NC, I'd program the VIPER sites in the area I'm going to be spending most of my time (if that were the case) and assign each of those sites a different quick key that can be remembered over time (some kind of pattern). Then, I'd set the rest to 99 and turn them off. This way, if you travel somewhere unexpectedly, you can always go into the programming and change a site set to 99 to some other value and enable it.

The other option is to create a favorites list and enable location control and then use zip code programming to enable various areas.

There's many options.

Recently, I've been experimenting with the GPS option with a semi-custom favorites list (program each of the county public safety systems into a favorites list and enable Location control). I don't like the Full Database option as it tends to load far too much stuff even with the list of SERVice types cut back to a few. The thing that really drives me crazy is all of the conventional stuff that gets pulled in which results in the radio stopped far too much - sometimes with alot of static and other times - silently. I much prefer custom programming with some quick keys for departments, etc.

I'm not yet satisfied with the GPS option. The radio still seems to scan far too much in terms of systems that are too far away to monitor. The information in the RRDB isn't tuned enough (yet) to actual coverage areas of the systems. For the best results, you still need to tune the location and range settings on the systems and sites as well as on the radio itself. This is even worse for newer systems with less range and more focused radiation patterns that tend to stay inside the area of intended coverage. Take the Supply, Brunswick County site of VIPER. While not indicating full county coverage, you still would probably ask why there are four sites in the county if the range of each site is that wide. When visiting the area, if I leave several of the closest sites enabled, the radio may stop on and try to receive a more distant site where the closer site might be carrying the same traffic.

Ultimately, I think I'm headed to a hybrid solution using a favorites list consisting of only the systems/conventional frequencies that I want to listen to with location control enabled - then let the GPS decide which are in range but I'll control the "departments" (police, fire, etc.) via quick keys. The are many times when I want to hear the State Police but not the local police and service types don't allow for splitting of police (Law) like that. For my local police, I generally only monitor for priority dispatches by taking advantage of the Motorola status bits (while I still can).

Everyone has their own preferences - from Full Database down to complete quick key/scanlist control. It's just a matter of how much time and effort you want to put into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.