RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog
 

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum


North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of North Carolina.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-27-2018, 2:58 PM
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 115
Default NXDN in NC

Since the Uniden 436/536 scanners have an NXDN option now I thought I'd create a thread similar to the DMR one. Haven't made the upgrade purchase yet myself. Anyone know of any active NXDN systems in NC?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-27-2018, 3:33 PM
jonwienke's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 8,884
Default

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?stid=37&tab=trs

There are probably others not listed here.
__________________
Gone camping.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-28-2018, 6:19 PM
thecop's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 382
Default

Guys,
I’m new to NXDN and have a question. I monitor S.C. Fleetnet on 463.9 (Brunswick County site). I receive the RAN (15), SYS: 219, Site 15 info on my 536 screen. Is it possible to have a signal threshold be just enough to provide that data but not be strong enough to decode?
Additionally, am I wrong in thinking I should program that as a OFT as opposed to Conventional?
Thank you.
__________________
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" George Orwell
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2018, 5:46 PM
troymail's Avatar
Silent Key
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Supply (Lockwood Inlet area), NC
Posts: 9,977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecop View Post
Guys,
Iím new to NXDN and have a question. I monitor S.C. Fleetnet on 463.9 (Brunswick County site). I receive the RAN (15), SYS: 219, Site 15 info on my 536 screen. Is it possible to have a signal threshold be just enough to provide that data but not be strong enough to decode?
Additionally, am I wrong in thinking I should program that as a OFT as opposed to Conventional?
Thank you.
Like DMR, NXDN control/data just "hangs" on the Uniden if/when you program a frequency as conventional or find it in a custom search. On a related note, Whistler's are smart enough to know there isn't any voice and just keep scanning.

I don't know for sure if programming it as a One Frequency will work (probably) but in reality, although there is only one frequency posted/known for the Supply site, it is really part of a trunk system.

FWIW - there is more NXDN in Wilmington - UNCW has a trunk system.
__________________
Unication G5(UHF)
TRX-2,TRX-1,WS1098,1088x2,1095,1080, PSR1080,PSR500,PRO96
BCD536,436,396T,BC296D,245XLT,600XLT,IV,VX-8R,MD-390
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-29-2018, 8:58 PM
thecop's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 382
Default

Thank you Troymail. Yes, I was aware of the UNCW NXDN and it was one of the reasons I purchased my DV1, only to discover the DV1 doesnít ďdoĒ 9600. Now that I have the NDXN capable 536 I will give their maintence xmissions a shot.
Iím going to try to enter all of the Fleetnet frequencies manually as a trucked system and see how that goes.
John
__________________
"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" George Orwell
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2018, 7:04 AM
AlphaFive's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Asheville North Carolina
Posts: 688
Default Nxdn k.a.v.l.

I'm going to attempt to add something here... With the trunked NXDN on Uniden, there comes the need to use the LCN Finder. It is not perfect, due to systems not being heavily used at times. I will throw this out, maybe someone will have more to add; Reference the Asheville Airport (K.A.V.L.), License WQPP490, six frequencies total. I have run the LCN finder for a few days. The end result is always the same, 2 hits for frequencies used.

155.0325 LCN 2
155.8350 LCN 3
Can't pick up anymore.. lets add some LCN's to this state....
__________________
"I am serious, and don't call me Shirley" - Dr. Rumack 1980
Pace 1000B Pro 2020 Pro 34 Pro 94 Pro 197 BC 170 BCD536HP TRX 2
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-30-2018, 4:17 PM
troymail's Avatar
Silent Key
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Supply (Lockwood Inlet area), NC
Posts: 9,977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecop View Post
Thank you Troymail. Yes, I was aware of the UNCW NXDN and it was one of the reasons I purchased my DV1, only to discover the DV1 doesnít ďdoĒ 9600. Now that I have the NDXN capable 536 I will give their maintence xmissions a shot.
Iím going to try to enter all of the Fleetnet frequencies manually as a trucked system and see how that goes.
John
Back home from a trip -- the NXDN stuff in Brunswick - what little there is - seems strangely quiet today -- I haven't heard a peep.
__________________
Unication G5(UHF)
TRX-2,TRX-1,WS1098,1088x2,1095,1080, PSR1080,PSR500,PRO96
BCD536,436,396T,BC296D,245XLT,600XLT,IV,VX-8R,MD-390
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2018, 6:52 AM
Member
  Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 499
Default

Good Friday holiday.

Ronnie
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2018, 6:55 AM
troymail's Avatar
Silent Key
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Supply (Lockwood Inlet area), NC
Posts: 9,977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA4MJF View Post
Good Friday holiday.

Ronnie
Yeah - I considered that but I would still expect to hear a few voice calls on one or the other system... odd.
__________________
Unication G5(UHF)
TRX-2,TRX-1,WS1098,1088x2,1095,1080, PSR1080,PSR500,PRO96
BCD536,436,396T,BC296D,245XLT,600XLT,IV,VX-8R,MD-390
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-31-2018, 4:14 PM
NCFireman11's Avatar
Member
   
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 210
Default

Hereís what Iíve discovered so far with the fleet Talk NXDN in the triad area. All show a system ID of 219:

463.4875 Site 4 RAN 4
451.950 Site 8 RAN 8
451.3625 Site 9 RAN 9
462.1375 Site 10 RAN 10
464.8875 Site 11 RAN 11
461.4375 Site 12 RAN 12
464.775 site 22. RAN 22

Maybe someone else can fill in the blanks to properly track these. Iíve still yet to figure out how use DSD so my 436/536 will have to do for now.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 04-01-2018, 8:18 AM
troymail's Avatar
Silent Key
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Supply (Lockwood Inlet area), NC
Posts: 9,977
Default

Well, I finally got hits on the SC Fleettalk (Supply site) overnight.

The TRX-1 recorded them and there were a few that were at least 7-8 seconds long.

The 436 captured nothing.

I have "system" programmed into the 436 two different ways - once as a NXDN One Frequency system and the other as a NXDN trunk system.

EDIT: Even in OFT mode, I see the 436 "hanging" on the system for extended periods with no activity.... the display is showing NX4 most times and occasionally NX0 (?)
__________________
Unication G5(UHF)
TRX-2,TRX-1,WS1098,1088x2,1095,1080, PSR1080,PSR500,PRO96
BCD536,436,396T,BC296D,245XLT,600XLT,IV,VX-8R,MD-390

Last edited by troymail; 04-01-2018 at 8:50 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2018, 6:37 AM
NYRHKY94's Avatar
Member
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Brunswick County, NC
Posts: 1,309
Default

Hi Troy:

Welcome back from your trip. Sent a PM when you have some time. Thanks!

Mike
__________________
BCD536HP/BCD436HP/BCD996P2/BCD325P2/BCD996XT/BCT15X/PRO-197/PSR-600
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2018, 8:08 AM
troymail's Avatar
Silent Key
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Supply (Lockwood Inlet area), NC
Posts: 9,977
Default

Finally got some hits of Brunswick Transit this morning on both the 436 and the TRX... The 436 still isn't receiving the light amount of SC Fleettalk activity -- hopefully there will be more activity today so I can try and determine why...
__________________
Unication G5(UHF)
TRX-2,TRX-1,WS1098,1088x2,1095,1080, PSR1080,PSR500,PRO96
BCD536,436,396T,BC296D,245XLT,600XLT,IV,VX-8R,MD-390
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2018, 10:52 AM
troymail's Avatar
Silent Key
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Supply (Lockwood Inlet area), NC
Posts: 9,977
Default

I reprogrammed the Brunswick Transit frequency (452.75000) again - directly on the radio as a NXDN One Frequency - with the radio running in "ID Search" mode. I left all of the attributes like RAN, etc. as default. As I do most times, I created a "dummy" talkgroup of 999 just to populate a department.

I see the 436 stopping ("hanging") on "TGID 1" on a fairly regular basis but there is no voice. Not sure what it is stopping on because the TRX isn't stopping on anything (or even displaying a break of squelch) at those times...

Clearly this is a very early version of NXDN - just like what Uniden did with DMR...
__________________
Unication G5(UHF)
TRX-2,TRX-1,WS1098,1088x2,1095,1080, PSR1080,PSR500,PRO96
BCD536,436,396T,BC296D,245XLT,600XLT,IV,VX-8R,MD-390
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2018, 11:38 AM
mtindor's Avatar
OH/WV DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Carroll Co OH / EN90LN
Posts: 6,851
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymail View Post
I reprogrammed the Brunswick Transit frequency (452.75000) again - directly on the radio as a NXDN One Frequency
Why are you programming it as NXDN OFT? It's in the DB as a conventional NXDN. All you have to do is add it as a conventional channel on the 436.

1. Add conventional frequency: 452.75
2. Edit that conventional frequency's characteristics -- specifically:

Set Audio Type: Digital Only --> Set NEXEDGE RAN: 30

RAN (and LCN on trunked) should never be left default. The Unidens require said information.

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2018, 11:50 AM
mtindor's Avatar
OH/WV DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Carroll Co OH / EN90LN
Posts: 6,851
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymail View Post
Well, I finally got hits on the SC Fleettalk (Supply site) overnight.

The TRX-1 recorded them and there were a few that were at least 7-8 seconds long.

The 436 captured nothing.

I have "system" programmed into the 436 two different ways - once as a NXDN One Frequency system and the other as a NXDN trunk system.

EDIT: Even in OFT mode, I see the 436 "hanging" on the system for extended periods with no activity.... the display is showing NX4 most times and occasionally NX0 (?)
For Unidens:
  • New System
  • NXDN Trunk
  • Edit Sys Options --> ID Search: ON
  • Edit Site --> New Site --> Set Frequencies
  • New Frequency: 463.900 , Input LCN: 713 ; Set RAN/Area: 15

Never leave RAN / LCN as default. If you didn't know the RAN / LCN, set the RAN to "Search" and then run LCN Finder on the system to allow the scanner to find the LCN. Once it finds the LCN, back out and save the found LCN(s) to the system. In this case, assuming RAN 15 and LCN 713 in the DB are correct, there is no need for running LCN Finder.

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2018, 11:54 AM
troymail's Avatar
Silent Key
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Supply (Lockwood Inlet area), NC
Posts: 9,977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtindor View Post
Why are you programming it as NXDN OFT? It's in the DB as a conventional NXDN. All you have to do is add it as a conventional channel on the 436.

1. Add conventional frequency: 452.75
2. Edit that conventional frequency's characteristics -- specifically:

Set Audio Type: Digital Only --> Set NEXEDGE RAN: 30

RAN (and LCN on trunked) should never be left default. The Unidens require said information.

Mike
I was basing the programming (to some degree) on the way Uniden handles conventional DMR... obviously, this isn't DMR and is different.

I've now configured as you stated above -- I see in conventional mode that they did not provide an option for RAN search which is what I would expect the default to be.

Watching now for activity.
__________________
Unication G5(UHF)
TRX-2,TRX-1,WS1098,1088x2,1095,1080, PSR1080,PSR500,PRO96
BCD536,436,396T,BC296D,245XLT,600XLT,IV,VX-8R,MD-390
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2018, 12:07 PM
troymail's Avatar
Silent Key
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Supply (Lockwood Inlet area), NC
Posts: 9,977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtindor View Post
For Unidens:
  • New System
  • NXDN Trunk
  • Edit Sys Options --> ID Search: ON
  • Edit Site --> New Site --> Set Frequencies
  • New Frequency: 463.900 , Input LCN: 713 ; Set RAN/Area: 15

Never leave RAN / LCN as default. If you didn't know the RAN / LCN, set the RAN to "Search" and then run LCN Finder on the system to allow the scanner to find the LCN. Once it finds the LCN, back out and save the found LCN(s) to the system. In this case, assuming RAN 15 and LCN 713 in the DB are correct, there is no need for running LCN Finder.

Mike
Ok - heard 1-2 calls on SC Fleettalk on the 436 but it missed like 2-3 others in the same group of calls heard on the TRX.
__________________
Unication G5(UHF)
TRX-2,TRX-1,WS1098,1088x2,1095,1080, PSR1080,PSR500,PRO96
BCD536,436,396T,BC296D,245XLT,600XLT,IV,VX-8R,MD-390
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2018, 12:09 PM
mtindor's Avatar
OH/WV DB Admin
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Carroll Co OH / EN90LN
Posts: 6,851
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by troymail View Post
I was basing the programming (to some degree) on the way Uniden handles conventional DMR... obviously, this isn't DMR and is different.

I've now configured as you stated above -- I see in conventional mode that they did not provide an option for RAN search which is what I would expect the default to be.

Watching now for activity.
On trunked DMR and trunked NXDN Type-C systems (where there is a control channel present), you absolutely have to have those types of details filled in on a Uniden. This is specifically because the Uniden's actually do use/rely upon the control channel for trunking. And, since there are not default bandplans for DMR / NXDN like there are for P25 / Moto Type II, anything monitoring the control channel only knows about LCNs. You have to have the frequency<-->LCN pairing in place so that when the CC tells the scanner to switch to LCN 453, the scanner knows to switch to VC frequency 123.4567.

The reason why you can get away without adding a lot of this on the Whistlers is because they aren't relying upon the control channel for trunking and are simply scanning / checking every frequency programmed into a given site during every scan pass in order to see if there is activity.

Yeah, it's a pain in the rear to have to know / add that information, but in the end it really should perform 100%. I'm hoping it does for you.

Mike
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2018, 12:13 PM
troymail's Avatar
Silent Key
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Supply (Lockwood Inlet area), NC
Posts: 9,977
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtindor View Post
On trunked DMR and trunked NXDN Type-C systems (where there is a control channel present), you absolutely have to have those types of details filled in on a Uniden. This is specifically because the Uniden's actually do use/rely upon the control channel for trunking. And, since there are not default bandplans for DMR / NXDN like there are for P25 / Moto Type II, anything monitoring the control channel only knows about LCNs. You have to have the frequency<-->LCN pairing in place so that when the CC tells the scanner to switch to LCN 453, the scanner knows to switch to VC frequency 123.4567.

The reason why you can get away without adding a lot of this on the Whistlers is because they aren't relying upon the control channel for trunking and are simply scanning / checking every frequency programmed into a given site during every scan pass in order to see if there is activity.

Yeah, it's a pain in the rear to have to know / add that information, but in the end it really should perform 100%. I'm hoping it does for you.

Mike
I get the LCN issue -- I'll be dealing with that on a short drive tomorrow (probably) on a nearby county system where the LCNs are all still 0 in the database.

Some progress being seen - thanks.
__________________
Unication G5(UHF)
TRX-2,TRX-1,WS1098,1088x2,1095,1080, PSR1080,PSR500,PRO96
BCD536,436,396T,BC296D,245XLT,600XLT,IV,VX-8R,MD-390
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All information here is Copyright 2012 by RadioReference.com LLC and Lindsay C. Blanton III.Ad Management by RedTyger
Copyright 2015 by RadioReference.com LLC Privacy Policy  |  Terms and Conditions