Terminology

Status
Not open for further replies.

orbital

Please forgive my ignorance but I would like to lean what this all means and having someone explain would help me greatly. I've looked some of this up on the net but it reads like a contract that a Lawyer has to discipher for you.

On the Charlotte Meck Database, it states that certain Police Districts are patched together.
What does this mean.......

Example:
South Divison 8720 is patched with Providence Division 8688

Will I hear both division on one TG?

Also, With the Charlotte Mecklenburg Police Department Talkgroup / Division Chart
Could someone kinda explain what this means....

Example:

DIVISIONS
Patch Div # Div. Div Name Dispatch Conf. Tac SCU
A 01 D1 Central 10544 10512 13040 10704
B 02 D2 Metro 10576 10640 13104 13136
C 06 C2 Eastway 8944 9008 13168 13136

Thanks for you patience.... I would really like to learn this.

Newshound

Premium Subscriber
When talkgroups are patched together, it simply means that everyone on those talkgroups can hear each other. The PD does this so they can use one dispatcher for multiple talkgroups. The talkgroups will normally be patched when things are quiet, but once a particular division gets busy you will hear the dispatcher say that they are splitting the talkgroup. That means they are pulling or modifying the patch so that one dispatcher can concentrate on the busy division. This normally applies to dispatch talkgroups only.

Your other question is about divisions. Each division is assigned four talkgroups. Dispatch, conference, tac & SCU (street crime units). This gives the division patrol officers a choice of car-to-car channels. The SCU units have now been combined into a citywide unit, so most of the SCU talkgroups assigned to a division are reletively quiet. SCU now have their own set of talkgroups. That is not to say they can't switch over to a particular division talkgroup, but they have several options available for surveilence and operations.

The two digit number (01, 02, 11, etc) refers to the division number. Each division is numbered, and the patrol units callsigns start with that number. Example: North division is 11, and the patol units start with 11-XXXX. The other division identifier (D1, B2, A3, etc.) refers to an old system that some officers and dispatchers have a hard time letting go of. D1 is now division 01 - Central, B3 is the 07-Independence division, and so on. You will hear the dispatchers tell the patrol units to go over to Baker 2 to assist, that is just telling them to switch over to the South division talkgroup.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Bill28227

Very well put Bob the Newshound.
May I add a little bit more. You can go to the CMPD website that has the 13 police districts.

http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/CMPD/Patrol+Divisions/Home.htm

Click on any of the districts and you will see a map of that district. In each one there are usually three numbers, 1, 2, and 3. These are called response areas. They are part of the car number that the dispatcher calls out. In Bob's example, 11-XXXX, lets fill in the blanks with a number such as 11-1204. The fourth number in, in this case the number 2 means it is in the 2 response area in district 11 - North Division. Please remember that cars do travel outside their response areas if needed but it is where they are assigned.
Bill

Last edited:

orbital

Newshound,

That was very informative and easy to understand...... Thank you so much !!!!

Thanks Guys that helped out a great deal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.