Several Questions (Wake County area)

Status
Not open for further replies.

unixdude

Greetings, all.

I hesitate to put this into the VIPER discussion, since it involves more general questions. Feel free to move this post if that's where it belongs.

Question 1: Why is Morrisville PD dispatch reverred to as "Raleigh"?

Question 2: What are the numbers officers use to refer to themselves? (As in, "216 to 214"... where do the numbers come from?) Are they officer numbers or car numbers? Is there any correlation between a car number I see on the road to the number I hear on my scanner?

Question 3: Does anyone have a complete set of codes used by Holly Springs PD? After listening to them for a while, it's clear that my list is incomplete. I hear them call codes "B" and "S," but while "B" (Arrest Made/Ticket Issued) is on my list, "S" is not.

Question 3a: If I call HSPD to ask for the list, will they give it to me? :)

I have more questions, but that's all I can think of right now. I'll update this post with the rest of my questions, as they come to me.

Thanks, and happy scanning!

RangerDave

Morrisville PD

Morrisville is dispatched by Raleigh Communications. Also Morrisville Police IDS are also the last four digits of there assigned phone number. They are in the 1600 series. 1600-1654. Hope that helps some.

unixdude

RangerDave said:
Morrisville is dispatched by Raleigh Communications.
That's interesting to me, since MPD is on VIPER, but RPD isn't and, so far as I know, won't be.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
unixdude said:
That's interesting to me, since MPD is on VIPER, but RPD isn't and, so far as I know, won't be.

Hey bud...couple things:
1) There are different comm centers dispatching on the Wake County system...Morrisville PD is now dispatched out by Raleigh/Wake County 911 and the same dispatcher who handles Garner PD and Wake County Smalls Towns (aka Old "Raleigh Ch5" Zebulon, Wendell, Knightdale PDs)...that is why they call the dispatcher "Raleigh"...Garner PD and the small towns do the same thing...
2) Raleigh PD will be on the Wake County system by the end of the year (if all goes well)...so they do have long term plans to join up...they have been planning this for awhile as some of the officers have been using Motorola XTS5000's UHF...Raleigh PD down the road trade in the UHF XTS5000's for 800Mhz XTS5000's...

And I will check with a source of mine and see if I can get an updated Holly Springs 10 Code Signals list to post to the RR.com database..
Hope this helps!
Marshall KE4ZNR

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Exactly, Raliegh Communications is an truly BUSY Central Comms center... and yep RPD plans on fully being on VIPER by November... hopefully! I will not be monitoring VIPER up close and personal after May, as I am moving to Indy, but will keep in touch with friends here in NC,.. and with friends in Asheville Communications, and the Moto shop here for updates on the upgrades here. I will be visiting two to three times an year. :cool:

unixdude

KE4ZNR said:
Hey bud...couple things:
1) There are different comm centers dispatching on the Wake County system...Morrisville PD is now dispatched out by Raleigh/Wake County 911 and the same dispatcher who handles Garner PD and Wake County Smalls Towns (aka Old "Raleigh Ch5" Zebulon, Wendell, Knightdale PDs)...that is why they call the dispatcher "Raleigh"...Garner PD and the small towns do the same thing...

It's interesting - it's now to the point where I can recognize which system/talkgroup I am listening to based on the voice of the dispatcher. But that brings up a wider question, which is possibly documented somewhere on here or elsewhere online. (Perhaps you could point me to it.)

That question being: how are emergency communications coordinated in Wake County? How does it all work?

What happens when someone makes a 911 call? Where does it go? Who answers the phone?

How many dispatch centers are there, and where are they? Which district's dispatchers are at each facility?

For calls that have to be transferred from one district to another (such as when a drunk driver is northbound on US-1 from Apex to Cary to Raleigh), I often hear the dispatcher saying that s/he is calling another area's dispatcher. Does that happen over the radio (where I can hear it), or is it literally a phone call? Is it a direct line, like the "bat phone"?

How are the automatic calls generated on the EMS Alert talkgroup (VIPER talkgroup 34000) generated?

How are Tactical/Ops channels assigned?

Why is Cary on its own system and not part of VIPER? Does Cary also dispatch for Apex?

I seem to recall hearing EMS Dispatchers mention that they are sending a call to the ambulance ("you should have it in a minute"). Is that a reference to some sort of computer hardware?

Told ya I had a lot of questions. :)

Gotta take the dogs to the VSH. Back later.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
I seem to recall hearing EMS Dispatchers mention that they are sending a call to the ambulance ("you should have it in a minute"). Is that a reference to some sort of computer hardware?
I can anser that part for ya! Its an type of computer system calld iether an MDT, or an MCT.. Mobile Data/Communications Terminal... Its like an laptop usually iether set up to recieve data vias the radio, or vias an cellular network. They can be as simple as an push button box, or as complex as the top of the line laptops! Some agencies depend soley on these for all basic comms, and use radio for emergency traffic only.

INDY72

Premium Subscriber
Also console to console calls are on an tg.. but most of us admins dont give those out as there is a lot of sensitive info passed on those... Some agencies set up full encryption for c-c tg's...

WA4MJF

Apex Question

Does Apex FD have a seperate digital pager frequency than the rest of Wake County
or is it a paid dept? The dispatch comes out on the county voice pagers, but NOT
the county digital pager.

I'm guessing it is a paid dept (one reason is they seem to run
a battalion plus some engine companies on about every call,
which is a huge response* ) and
the voice pager set off the station radio and that is why there is no
digital page.

Thanks,

Ronnie

*I think Wake Forest is a paid dept, too, as they seem to run a
Battalion plus on most everything and even Car 2, which I guess
is the Deputy Chief. He must not like paper work.

Status
Not open for further replies.