What are you going to use your analog scanners for once NC goes to Viper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

padre29

I have a pro 95 and a pro 83 that I am trying to find uses for once WNC goes to the Viper system, I am planning on using one for aircraft and weather and ham monitoring and the pro 83 for signal stalking.

Are there any other uses for strictly analog scanners once we go digital?

bonus1331

Heck yea. My entire County is UHF/VHF Analog (Union County). Almost every TRS around Charlotte is analog (Charmeck, Cabarrus, Mint Hill).
There will be plenty of uses for a long time.
I would also assume that alot of users on VIPER will not go digital ($$$$$$$$).

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
ALL the newest users of the VIPER are digital. SHP etc,.. are adding digital tg's as well. There are a LOT of agencies that will NOT go to the VIPER except for the interop tg's. So your analog only scanners will still have a LOT of usage yet..

For example here in Buncombe County, ALL public Safety except City of Asheville will be analog conventional, unless BC does go ahead and implement the LTR Passport TRS they were planning... City of Asheville is of course going digital and have linkage to the VIPER also... in digital mode.

padre29

Milf wrote:

For example here in Buncombe County, ALL public Safety except City of Asheville will be analog conventional, unless BC does go ahead and implement the LTR Passport TRS they were planning...

I fully expect Buncombe County will go digital, (I live in Buncombe BTW) I didn't want to retire the pro 95 just yet.

And if Asheville is going to be simulcasting, does that mean that some of their stuff will be in analog mode?

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
AFR will be mostly digital as will APD. Both will have analog TG's but the magority of thier comms will be digital. BC won't go digital fully for a long time... They JUST got the VHF system running good.

ADPW will be analog.
AP&R will be analog as most comms are vias nextel anyway.
ATA I am not sure of yet, but have an idea.. they will be analog.

52to12

Here in southeastern NC, VIPER is only in the initial Installation stages. Brunswick Co. has installed 2 LTR (analog) trunking systems ,1 VHF-HI for Fire/Ems and1 UHF for LEO. Also: Marine patrol,Forestry,Wildlife ,USCG.(marine) are still on VHF>. The B.C. sheriff has been switching back to UHF conventional -453.450.

Andrew2340

Just got the word from an Asheville firefighter the other day, AFR is staying analog. They decided that to have better interoperability, they would come out better to stay away from digitizing their 800 system. So no worries about not being able to hear AFR!

Status
Not open for further replies.