Big fire in Smithfield...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Too bad we can't hear most of the on scene fireground ops...last I heard they are using Ops 4 which is one of the Provoice Talkgroups....but I have been monitoring Johnston Fire/EMS dispatch TGs...
Marshall KE4ZNR

scannerpro

Same here H20 Operations are on Ops4
Command is on Ops 5.

That was the last as of last night. I don't know if it still going on as of this morning.

CCHLLM

The header (smoke) was visible from clear high spots in Raleigh, and about anywhere along US 64 east of Raleigh all the way to Rocky Mount. The radio traffic was interesting, but since I couldn't hear anything but the side that's simulcast over 154.34/110.9, there were some gaps in my "info stream." I heard the low band SHP radio traffic shutting down US301 and some other traffic rerouting due to smoke. Luckily, the atmospheric mixing heights were up around 5600-6000 feet, keeping the smoke column high and away from ground level so evacuations weren't necessary early on. That's also what made it visible from so far away. As I drove west back toward W-S from Wendell around midnight, I lost the Johnson County vhf traffic about Burlington, so whatever happened after that, I can't say.

Status
Not open for further replies.