Western Carolina SHP

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayatsi05

Hey everyone, I live on the edge of Jackson and Swain County ( in Cherokee) and cannot seem to ever be able to hear any SHP on any of my Radios no matter what I have programmed. I have a Discone outside and can hear everything else very clearly, am I missing something here? The frequencies I have are the ones posted on the database. I have only the non-trunking ones programmed in but have no luck, any thoughts?

leonzo

Premium Subscriber
I hear base only on 42.50 tone 173.8 from just inside Great Smokey Mountain Park about 1 mile from the Cherokee Indian reservation border. I am just using the rubber duck antenna on the radio so unless you are just in a real bad spot you should be able to pick them up on that frequency to. Not a lot of traffic mostly being dispatched to work wrecks on US74 in Jackson County.

Navairboss

wayatsi05 said:
Hey everyone, I live on the edge of Jackson and Swain County ( in Cherokee) and cannot seem to ever be able to hear any SHP on any of my Radios no matter what I have programmed. I have a Discone outside and can hear everything else very clearly, am I missing something here? The frequencies I have are the ones posted on the database. I have only the non-trunking ones programmed in but have no luck, any thoughts?

Good morning,

You do know that you won't be able to hear the mobile side of comms unless the NCSHP car is real, real close. The state uses a full duplex VHF low band system, NO repeaters. You will likely hear the dispatcher but no mobiles talking back.

Of course, that will change when they cut over to the 800 MHz VIPER system, but we aren't there yet.

I have no problems hearing the 42.500 MHz dispatch from Asheville, but the mbile side is problematic. You should be able to hear the 42.500 dispatch depending on the location of the dispatch remote to your location.

wcu02mpa

SHP 800 in far west

Larry,
I am picking up routine 800MHz G6 radio traffic on the VIPER system. The tower is in East Asheville, but the G6 (far west) district is on regularly.

Mike

pboy

wcu02mpa said:
Larry,
I am picking up routine 800MHz G6 radio traffic on the VIPER system. The tower is in East Asheville, but the G6 (far west) district is on regularly.

Mike

You're hearing the far west D6 talkgroup because towers are active in Macon and Cherokee Counties and District 6 units probably have gotten handhelds.

The east Asheville site has radio(s) affiliated to that TG (which is highly likely since Troop G HQ is there).

miserytom

ive noticed only being ableto hear the dispatchers too, on 42.600 in onlsow, cant belive they dont have a repeater lol

psol113

Well i live in marion nc and there still useing the old system here with no viper comm's at all i work in waynesville and have all the viper frec's in my uniden bc-795-d and all i here are asheville pd and fire? maybe i'm doing something wrong

Scott

Oh yeah the new signal code's have got me all screwed up too i now what sig-28 is that dmv info but for the rest i'm in the dark LOL

Last edited:

psol113

miserytom said:
ive noticed only being ableto hear the dispatchers too, on 42.600 in onlsow, cant belive they dont have a repeater lol
the only repeater's they have are for the highway dept bridge mant, and the sort that's all i've heard on a repeater

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
psol113 said:
Well i live in marion nc and there still useing the old system here with no viper comm's at all i work in waynesville and have all the viper frec's in my uniden bc-795-d and all i here are asheville pd and fire? maybe i'm doing something wrong

PSOL113 -

To the best of my knowledge, Asheville PD and Fire are on their own 800 TRS and the comms are NOT rebroadcast on the Viper talkgroups here in WNC. Are you sure that you have programmed your scanner with the correct frequencies for Viper??

John

Status
Not open for further replies.