RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum

North Carolina Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of North Carolina.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2016, 1:37 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

PM me with an email address and I'll send you a file to try. I'm assuming you already checked to ensure that the appropriate service types are enabled, and that you locked out the other sites besides Mecklenburg.
Old 02-17-2017, 6:36 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

My son is moving to a job in Charlotte in the very near future. He and my daughter in law haven't figured out exactly where they are going to be living yet, but it's likely to be either York or Lancaster County.

Since we'll be visiting fairly frequently, I'd like to set up a profile for my 436HP. I have a few questions I hope the group can help with.

What police districts are close to the SC state line?

Which Charlotte - Mecklenburg UASI sites have the best coverage in that area?

Are they any maps that show patrol areas for the police?

Besides the C-M police, fire, and EMS, what else do you suggest for listening?

Thanks, I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get into the programming.
Old 02-17-2017, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garys View Post
My son is moving to a job in Charlotte in the very near future. He and my daughter in law haven't figured out exactly where they are going to be living yet, but it's likely to be either York or Lancaster County.

Since we'll be visiting fairly frequently, I'd like to set up a profile for my 436HP. I have a few questions I hope the group can help with.

What police districts are close to the SC state line?

Which Charlotte - Mecklenburg UASI sites have the best coverage in that area?

Are they any maps that show patrol areas for the police?

Besides the C-M police, fire, and EMS, what else do you suggest for listening?

Thanks, I'm sure I'll have more questions as I get into the programming.
The police agencies close to the NC line include...... Lancaster County, York County Sheriff's Department, Fort Mill Police Department, Tega Cay Police Department, Clover Police Department, and Rock Hill Police Department.

I live in Rock Hill and would suggest they look for something there, Fort Mill, or Indian Land which can either be in Lancaster County SC or Mecklenburg County NC depending on location. In my opinion York County has better schools so if they have kids Rock Hill or Fort Mill would be a better choice.... Fort Mill is a little more expensive on property values because it's closer to Charlotte than Rock Hill but not by much.

In terms of what to listen to on the scanner I recommend York or Lancaster counties because there is more traffic than the other departments because the cities are small and not much crime happens outside of the "hoods" if you can even call them that compared to Charlotte or other heavily populated cities.
Old 02-18-2017, 4:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks. Schools are high up on their list of criteria. My son drive through Indian Land, but thinks it's a bit rural. Ft Mill comes highly recommended by a friend of mine who lived there a few years ago. She also mentioned Rock HIll or Fort Mill.

They may also look at Matthews, Waxhaw, and Marvin.

Back to scanning. That information is helpful, but what about Charlotte? I know it's a fairly big city and the PD covers more than just the city itself. I'm just wondering what I should listen to, or at least try to prioritize somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMSECFORPatrol2016 View Post
The police agencies close to the NC line include...... Lancaster County, York County Sheriff's Department, Fort Mill Police Department, Tega Cay Police Department, Clover Police Department, and Rock Hill Police Department.

I live in Rock Hill and would suggest they look for something there, Fort Mill, or Indian Land which can either be in Lancaster County SC or Mecklenburg County NC depending on location. In my opinion York County has better schools so if they have kids Rock Hill or Fort Mill would be a better choice.... Fort Mill is a little more expensive on property values because it's closer to Charlotte than Rock Hill but not by much.

In terms of what to listen to on the scanner I recommend York or Lancaster counties because there is more traffic than the other departments because the cities are small and not much crime happens outside of the "hoods" if you can even call them that compared to Charlotte or other heavily populated cities.
Old 02-18-2017, 5:09 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

CMPD Steele creek division and South division border SC at the southern end of Mecklenburg county. The town of Matthews has it's own PD and talkgroups on the Charlotte system. Keep in mind that Steele Creek division is often patched with Animal Control. South division is often patched with Providence Division. If you go to Mecklenburg's website there is a CMPD link with division info and maps.
Old 02-18-2017, 6:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4pbd View Post
CMPD Steele creek division and South division border SC at the southern end of Mecklenburg county. The town of Matthews has it's own PD and talkgroups on the Charlotte system. Keep in mind that Steele Creek division is often patched with Animal Control. South division is often patched with Providence Division. If you go to Mecklenburg's website there is a CMPD link with division info and maps.
Old 02-18-2017, 9:04 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Thanks. Schools are high up on their list of criteria. My son drive through Indian Land, but thinks it's a bit rural. Ft Mill comes highly recommended by a friend of mine who lived there a few years ago. She also mentioned Rock HIll or Fort Mill.

They may also look at Matthews, Waxhaw, and Marvin.

Back to scanning. That information is helpful, but what about Charlotte? I know it's a fairly big city and the PD covers more than just the city itself. I'm just wondering what I should listen to, or at least try to prioritize somehow.
Also, to clarify your question on which sites, Inside Mecklenburg county it would be the Mecklenburg simulcast site. That includes Matthews. You also mentioned Waxhaw and Marvin, both of those towns are in Union county. You would use the Union simulcast sites there, and monitor Union county talkgroups for fire and sheriff. Union talkgroups aren't carried on Mecklenburg, and vice versa.

Here is a link to a map showing overall divisions in the city, if you click on a division it will bring up a detail map:
http://charlottenc.gov/CMPD/Response...s/default.aspx

Last edited by kg4pbd; 02-18-2017 at 9:15 PM.. Reason: added link to map
Old 02-19-2017, 7:08 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Thanks. For some reason, Google Maps doesn't show county line. Or maybe I should say I haven't figured out how to get it to do so.
Is there much use of the Union County conventional frequencies?

The map is very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4pbd View Post
Also, to clarify your question on which sites, Inside Mecklenburg county it would be the Mecklenburg simulcast site. That includes Matthews. You also mentioned Waxhaw and Marvin, both of those towns are in Union county. You would use the Union simulcast sites there, and monitor Union county talkgroups for fire and sheriff. Union talkgroups aren't carried on Mecklenburg, and vice versa.

Here is a link to a map showing overall divisions in the city, if you click on a division it will bring up a detail map:
Our Response Areas > Home

Last edited by garys; 02-19-2017 at 7:14 AM..
Old 02-19-2017, 9:38 AM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Thanks. For some reason, Google Maps doesn't show county line. Or maybe I should say I haven't figured out how to get it to do so.
Is there much use of the Union County conventional frequencies?

The map is very helpful.
If you go to Google Maps, and type in the name of a county, city, town, etc., in the search bar, it will show you the limits.

I don't listen to Union much, I believe fire & ems are still multi-casting dispatch over their vhf frequencies.
Old 03-02-2017, 8:08 PM
Question CFD Channels help

What are the Frequencies for the CFD Dispatch...
And also all the ops channels...
All I can find are the DEC tags that are 4-5 digits long...
I want to hand program my scanner (BAOFENG UV-5R)...
I already have Meck Co Fire and EMS (156.165) This covers VFDs and First responders... Charlotte Fire appears to be on another channel...
I have looked everywhere..

this is what Radio reference says...

Charlotte Fire Talkgroups

DEC HEX Mode Alpha Tag Description Tag
1027 403 D CFD ALARM Charlotte Fire Alarm Fire Dispatch

Im new to scanning and have no idea how to get 1027 into the proper form for typing into the keypad...
thanks in Advance..
Phil
Old 03-03-2017, 4:02 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

It's a trunk radio system. Search "P25 Trunking" here at Radio Reference and there will be several pages that explain what that means. Once you read them, the RRDB data will make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueman369 View Post
I already have Meck Co Fire and EMS (156.165) This covers VFDs and First responders... Charlotte Fire appears to be on another channel...

Im new to scanning and have no idea how to get 1027 into the proper form for typing into the keypad...
thanks in Advance..
Phil
Old 03-03-2017, 9:53 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:

thanks in Advance..
Phil
The radio you are using is a dual band radio. It won't work on a P25 trunked system. About all you can monitor with it is the vhf county fire dispatch frequency. You need a digital scanner for CFD.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:37 PM

What kind of radio do you have ?
Old 03-10-2017, 3:51 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Why doesn't Iredell county talk group ids show up on the UASI system? TG IDs show on the other UASI system sites for the other counties. Could it be an issue with the switch from USIA to VIPER or is it the other way around?
Old 03-10-2017, 7:17 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsnick175 View Post
Why doesn't Iredell county talk group ids show up on the UASI system? TG IDs show on the other UASI system sites for the other counties. Could it be an issue with the switch from USIA to VIPER or is it the other way around?
What group IDs are you referring to? The Fire and EMS are a simulcast and there is no radio ID that shows. All other Iredell County units using the system are using RIDs in the 970xxx and 975xxx.

Radio Shack Pro-94 / Pro-197 / Pro-651, Uniden BCD996XT, ICOM A-214, Baofeng UV-5R V2+ (3) / UV-82, Kenwood TK-880, Motorola HT-750 / CT250, TYT TH-7800
Sponsored links
Old 03-10-2017, 7:20 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:

thanks in Advance..
Phil
Ok, kinda already said above too. The baofeng radio will only scan VHF and UHF. Charlotte Fire uses the UASI radio system that operates in the 800 MHZ and it digital and trunked. You will not be able to listen to them from your baofeng. CFD also does not simulcast to VHF so the only way to hear them is use the digital scanner or digital radio or listen to the online scanner feed. The ops channels that you were also questioning are the exact same.

Radio Shack Pro-94 / Pro-197 / Pro-651, Uniden BCD996XT, ICOM A-214, Baofeng UV-5R V2+ (3) / UV-82, Kenwood TK-880, Motorola HT-750 / CT250, TYT TH-7800
Old 03-10-2017, 7:52 PM
  RadioReference Database Admininstrator
Database Admin

Interesting side note if no one has figured it out yet but the UASI talkgroups are aligned with the VIPER ids for each county. Also the radio ids for each county are derived from the FIPS code for each. IE Meck county has a FIPS code of 119 so that's why you see 119 IDs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.codeplugsupersite.com
Old 03-10-2017, 7:54 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillipsc84 View Post
Interesting side note if no one has figured it out yet but the UASI talkgroups are aligned with the VIPER ids for each county. Also the radio ids for each county are derived from the FIPS code for each. IE Meck county has a FIPS code of 119 so that's why you see 119 IDs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. I have noticed that. All Iredell UID for UASI and VIPER and in the 970xxx and 975xxx

Old 03-10-2017, 8:23 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

So which system does Iredell County use and which is the simulcast system? And why am I not seeing any UIDs displayed on the UASI site for Iredell? I see them for all other users on the other sites. UID display is a global setting on my 996.
Old 03-10-2017, 8:27 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsnick175 View Post
So which system does Iredell County use and which is the simulcast system? And why am I not seeing any UIDs displayed on the UASI site for Iredell? I see them for all other users on the other sites. UID display is a global setting on my 996.
Mooresville afire, Lake Norman, Mount Mourne, Shepherds, South Iredell, and Troutman only use the UASI system. The county fire channel is a patch from VHF and the county EMS is a patch from VIPER. The only UIDs you will see is on the MFD dispatch channel for those departments and the ops channels. Also MPD.

Tags