Shelby - help me find a scanner that works

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrjosh

(Note: I also posted this question in the Uniden model forum)

I used to do quite a bit of scanning about 10 years ago, but I moved and my old 10-channel Uniden handheld got lost in the shuffle. I am completely overwhelmed by the new technologies I see (trunking, digital, etc) and am unsure what kind of scanner I would need to purchase to hear police/fire/EMS/etc in my area. Can anyone offer a suggestion based on the information below?

I live in Shelby, Cleveland County, NC. I've looked at the information to try to figure things out for myself, and all I get is more confused. I'm sure if I knew enough to understand, the database on this site would be enough and I wouldn't even have to ask for help.

I definitely want to buy a Uniden. My budget is around $200-250.

I have looked at the following models, but am not sure if they would work in my area:
BCT15 and BC246T

Thanks for any help you can provide.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
1st off welcome to RR.com!
Shelby operates an 800Mhz analog trunked system so either the BCT15 or 246T should suite you fine for the time being...I know there is sooo much to learn about the hobby since you have been away for awhile but the RR.com Wiki should get you caught up for the most part...just let us know what other questions you might have!
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Any basic trunktracking scanner will suit you fine. Consider the PRO-97 from Radio Shack at $199. Rumer is it will be on sale soon for $149. It's probably the best value in a scanner in terms of features vs. cost.

jeffmulter

Fort Mill, S.C. (just south of Charlotte, N.C.)
FYI - The Pro 97 is currently on sale - through September 15th - at Radio Shack stores, as Brian mentioned.

If Uniden is your direction, the easiest way to decide between the BCT15 and the 246T is: do you want a desktop scanner, or a handheld scanner ? The BCT15 does have some features that the 246T does not, if portability is not a requirement.

Another option, if you aren't in a hurry to make a purchase, is to wait and see what happens to the price of the Pro 96 - new and / or used - when GRE introduces its new models in the fall.

I presume some hobbyists will be selling their current scanners when the two new digital scanners hit the market, and a used digital scanner (Pro 96, BCD396T, etc) might serve you best in the long run.

mrjosh

I bought the Pro-97 yesterday. I've been playing around with it, but I've got to do quite a bit more studying to get the trunking to work. I'm very pleased with my purchase so far; the only downside is that this thing is much smarter than I am right now. Hopefully that'll change soon!

dvferguson

mrjosh said:
I bought the Pro-97 yesterday. I've been playing around with it, but I've got to do quite a bit more studying to get the trunking to work. I'm very pleased with my purchase so far; the only downside is that this thing is much smarter than I am right now. Hopefully that'll change soon!

You'll find it a lot easier to program if you get Win97 from www.starrsoft.com and a programming cable from RS.

Dave

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hey to the local guy. If you need any help with that, I can drive over from Lincolnton sometime. I have the win97 software, and I can load a file into your pro97 with Cleveland County and Shelby banks ready to go. I also have VIPER setups for the Shelby VIPER tower that might prove useful. After you play with your scanner awhile, you'll end up doing all sorts of stuff with it. I can just give you a jumpstart with it though...

It really is a great scanner.

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
win97 file sent, feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions. We might have to meet up one day when I'm that way....

Status
Not open for further replies.