Help...I am lost on this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I need some help obtaining some frequencies.

I live in Virginia, on the North Carolina line. I actually am on Lake Gaston within sight of the Virginia Beach water intake.

I am trying to obtain frequencies for the North Carolina Highway Patrol in Warren, Halifax, and Northampton counties. I have looked through the database, and have put in every low band frequency listed, and have yet to hear anything on any of them. I have even been to the new Randy Parton Theatre near Roanoke Rapids and sat in the parking lot for 2 hours.....not a peep.

Have they gone to a higher frequency now? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mark

ornocdoc

Premium Subscriber
Mark-
I'm over east from you in Perquimans county, and commute to Portsmouth VA. I am receiving NCHP on 42.50 and 42.70, and receiving VIPER transmissions (just rebroadcast of the low frequencies). Wondering if you have tried VIPER to pick them up....

ornocdoc

hiyudurin

Mark

Warren, Vance, Franklin, Granville, and Durham Counties all use 42.940.
Halifax, Northampton, Edgecombe, and Nash all use 42.520.
Those frequiencies are the station to car and car to car channels, you will not hear the car to station traffic. Even if you have the car to station frequiencies programmed into your scanner you more than likely won't be able to hear anything because that traffic is not repeated, you should be able to hear Raleigh talking to the cars. Something is wrong with the Warren channel right now because there is loud roaring noise when Raleigh tries to transmit.

RMPDCOP

Database Admin
NCSHP Car to Base is 42.800 and you can hear the Trooper talking to Raleigh if you are within a 2 to 3 mile range of the car.

Thanks guys!

I have since found out i had a bad cable on house antenna. Now picking up 42.52, 42.94, and 42.50. I think I may have been searching wrong frequency range when in Roanoke Rapids. (Blind leading the blind!!).

Now I have another question. Is NCHP able to talk directly to Sheriff Departments within their respective areas? If so, what are the frequencies?

Are Sheriff Departments able to talk to each other via mobile and/or base? If so, what are the frequencies.

I have searched the database and cannot come up with anything. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mark
Lake Gaston in Virginia, in sight of Warren County, NC

RMPDCOP

Database Admin
If you go to the RR Database and pull up North Carolina, you will find frequencies for all of the counties in NC. Also the NCSHP is going to the VIPER System, which is an 800 mhz trunked system throughout the state. In certain parts of the state the VIPER System is already in use.

CCHLLM

Each county has a different set of circumstances, and the state deals with each on the basis of the particular comm system in place. In counties with 800 mHz trunked systems where the state has interoperability, there are shared talkgroups and tactical freqs that allow the troopers with 800 mHz radios to communicate with local units. In counties where there is no 800 mHz system, the nearest state site with the interoperability infrastructure is equipped with a radio on the designated interops freq for that county and which can be patched to the designated state channel for interops. In a large number of the counties with no 800 mHz system, the troopers have a radio on the county frequencies, and which is either issued to the trooper by the entity in charge or is supplied by the trooper himself.

You can tell the VIPER sites from the state's other 800 mHz sites by the large number of directional antennas mounted on the tower. These antennas are attached to the various local department radios that are rack mounted in the tower house and connected to the ACU1000 or ACU 2000 interoperability unit. The ACU is controlled from the comm center in the troop zone where the VIPER site is located.

As a rule, there would be at least one site per troop comm center, but in some cases, coverage areas and interstate comms require more than one site. The state's digital microwave system makes possible the patching together of systems from and to anywhere in the state via the microwave linking at the VIPER sites, and particular VIPER sites along the state borders enable the patching of any VA, TN, GA, and SC systems linked to the respective states' systems.

It should be noted that not all VIPER comms require the ACU. Some VIPER comms between NC entities with compatible 800 mHz systems are done through 800 mHz infrastructures shared by local and state systems. Those comms are accomplished by shared talkgroups and/or patching certain talkgroups within each system through the internal routing of the state and local trunking control systems themselves.

Since the frequencies are licensed to the local and state agencies and are listed in the RR database already, there aren't any separate listings that will give you a clue as to what method the trooper in a given location will use to talk to local units. If you're listening to local traffic and hear an SHP unit number used, there's your clue that the trooper has a radio on the local frequencies.

Counties with compatible radio systems use mutual aid frequencies to communicate, and those with incompatible systems use cross monitoring or some form of multiple radio systems.

Did all that help? My home county is Mecklenburg, VA, by the way.

Last edited:

WA4MJF

I have not lived up that way in many, many moons, but Northhampton County Sheriff* used to loan troopers VHF radios so they could communicate with them. I think that the late Bill Bailey over in Halifax did, too. That is where I would listen. I don't think
the counties in NE NC could afford a single VIPER radio, things been going down hill economy wise up there. Hopefully,
Rabdy Parton can turn some of that around.

*Redmon comes to mind as the Sheriif, he used to be a NCSHP 1SG before he was elected Sheriff, he coulda passed on
or retired, too.

Last edited:

hiyudurin

The VIPER system has not been deployed in all of the counties in that area. The troopers in Warren, Vance, and Franklin have county radios installed in their cars. I'm not sure about Northampton and Halifax counties. If you scan the S/O channel you can hear the troopers when they talk to the county. All the Warren, Vance, and Franklin troopers' call numbers begin with C4.

Status
Not open for further replies.