Psr 500

Status
Not open for further replies.

charles400

Hello everyone from Charles in Halifax County. Has anyone here preordered the new PSR500? I ordered one from Ham Station a few weeks ago. I am excited to learn about its features. I use a PRO-2096 and a BCD996T right now. Looking forward to being able to hear the Viper System as well as other traffic while portable. If anyone needs any frequencies from up let me know. Take care and Happy scanning, Charles

murrayustud

KI4DCR
Premium Subscriber
I'm very interested in this scanner & almost ordered it, however I decided to wait and see what others thought of it...please share your thoughts when you get it!
Thanks!

charles400

psr500

Ok I will let you know. I am going to get the PSR600 also. I think these will take front and center in the next few months, Thanks Charles

bonus1331

murrayustud said:
I'm very interested in this scanner & almost ordered it, however I decided to wait and see what others thought of it...please share your thoughts when you get it!
Thanks!

I'm in the same camp.
Not quite sure that this radio will surpass what I've already got in scanners.
Never particularly like the operation of the RS/GRE's compared to the Unidens.
However, I am also keeping a close eye on what the opinions turn out to be.

I am certainly noticing ALOT more radios up for sale on these forums as of late--usually happens when a the New Big Thing is about to arrive.

radionut44

Premium Subscriber
My PSR500 from Ham Station arrived Monday. I'm very pleased so far. Not much VIPER activity at present in Forsyth county, but I do have site 205 & 237 control channels loaded. I have not noticed Guilford talk group coming up, only Forsyth, but it is not as easy to ID which CC I am receiving as on my PRO-96.
Ron (monitoring from Kernersville and Winston-Salem)

randyK

Radionut, I was also debating getting the Psr500, but thought I would wait on this one. I was just wondering how yours is doing on the Forsyth/Winston Salem TRS & the Guilford/Greensboro TRS. It sounds like some are having decode/reception issues over on the GRE forum. Thanks, Randy

radionut44

Premium Subscriber
So far I am not seeing any problems with either system, but I have not monitored the Guilford/Greensboro as much. I can say that the PSR500 is picking up the Forsyth system better than the Pro96 did. With the PRO96 I would lose the signal when going thru JC Penney in the middle of the mall. With the PSR500 I keep good copy thru JCP. At this point I am still in the learning curve with the radio, and with evaluation copies of PSREdit and Win500 software, and both programs are still being updated. Ron

yardbird

Hello,

You keep talking about this PSR 500 and PSR600 scanner that is new to the market?

I was just wanting to know who makes it, and how much of a prices are we looking at spending for one.

Thanks

David
KI4GBJ

troymail

Silent Key
yardbird said:
Hello,

You keep talking about this PSR 500 and PSR600 scanner that is new to the market?

I was just wanting to know who makes it, and how much of a prices are we looking at spending for one.

Thanks

David
KI4GBJ

http://greamerica.com/scanners.html

about 500 $

check out the GRE Threads
http://radioreference.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=117

EDIT: for those waiting before buying, the one thing I can say without hesitation about this radio over my 396 is that the reception of distant systems is much better than the 396 and the digital decoding and voice quality is much better (without any "tweaking") that the 396. I've tried the PRO-96 in the past and I believe the the PRO-96 was better at these things too but it wasn't enough for me to keep a PRO-96. It was my intent to "sit and wait" before buying the PSR500 like many others are doing but at the last minute I decided not to wait.

The overall features (including the size difference of the radios) are something each of us has to decide for ourselves....there is ALOT of information on the GRE threads including photos

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.