EDACS Standard Scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM4JTW

Hello everyone! I'm just a newbie trying to make it in this high tech scanning world we live in. I'm 30, and have been a scanner enthusiast since I was a child. I've always enjoyed listening to the scanner and my knowledge is out of date to be honest. My knowledge of scanning is simple, either it's uhf, vhf or 800mhz. My question is probably one that's been asked many times over on this board, so please forgive me. My County (Johnston) is working off EDACS Standard ProVoice. I never look for the easy way out, I always try to read and learn on my own first. But, I have to admit I'm totally lost. I read the EDACS thread and came to the realization that their is not a scanner possible of scanning this system. However, a guy I know says the Radio Shack Pro096 will do it, same with the Uniden® BCD396T. Is this possible?

LEH

Premium Subscriber
actionguy,

Welcome on board. There is a lot of great info to be found here.

To answer your question. Unfortunately, EDACS Provoice cannot be scanned. A scanner can be set up and it will follow the talk groups, but the digital signal cannot be listened to. The wiki has some info on EDACS provoice.

There are some other discussions elsewhere on why Provoice cannot (and will not) ever be available on a scanner.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
actionguy,
Let me clarify some info about the Johnston Co system...it is a Mixed mode of both Analog & Provoice talkgroups...in other words you can monitor some of the activity on the system but not monitor the Provoice talkgroups....you can monitor the dispatch talkgroups of Fire/EMS but the on-scene "Ops" talkgroups are in Provoice mode and can't be monitored...you can monitor small town PD's such as Wilson Mills PD on 02-127 but can't monitor Clayton PD's Talkgroups nor Johnston County Sheriff Dept....if you live anywhere near Clayton drop me a line at KE4ZNR@radioreference.com and we will try to get together and help you understand Johnston Co Comms...
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

KM4JTW

KE4ZNR said:
actionguy,
Let me clarify some info about the Johnston Co system...it is a Mixed mode of both Analog & Provoice talkgroups...in other words you can monitor some of the activity on the system but not monitor the Provoice talkgroups....you can monitor the dispatch talkgroups of Fire/EMS but the on-scene "Ops" talkgroups are in Provoice mode and can't be monitored...you can monitor small town PD's such as Wilson Mills PD on 02-127 but can't monitor Clayton PD's Talkgroups nor Johnston County Sheriff Dept....if you live anywhere near Clayton drop me a line at KE4ZNR@radioreference.com and we will try to get together and help you understand Johnston Co Comms...
Happy Monitoring!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Thank you Sir, email sent.

Status
Not open for further replies.