NCHP "Area Rotation"

Status
Not open for further replies.

joncleve

Premium Subscriber
I have listened to the NCHP for many years but I have often wanted to know how they came up with the "area rotation" logic when they need a wrecker or rollback. Can someone in the know explain what the area designations within the troop or district are and how they select what wrecker service gets the call?

Thanks

CATAWBA911

Premium Subscriber
joncleve said:
I have listened to the NCHP for many years but I have often wanted to know how they came up with the "area rotation" logic when they need a wrecker or rollback. Can someone in the know explain what the area designations within the troop or district are and how they select what wrecker service gets the call?

Thanks

I can maybe help a little on this. The way Catawba County handles "area rotations" is our county is rather large longways and you would not want a wrecker out of Hickory coming to get a vehicle in the lake norman area of the county. We have a Hickory area (West end of the county) and a Newton area rotation (East end of the county). There is no cut and dry line or boundary to go by but if you are in the eastern end of the county you know to ask for a newton rotation wrecker. As far as the list they are in CAD and a Hickory area wrecker would not be included in the Newton rotation. I hope that helps out alittle.

joncleve

Premium Subscriber
I understand what "Area Rotation" means. I just want to know why they refer to it this way instead of just coming up with a 10 code or signal if they need a wrecker. Seems to me it would be easier just to say "10-xx" or "Signal xx". Sorry if I was not clear in my first post.

blinddog50

In Charlotte they use the zone system.
Each wrecker company is assigned a zone.
That wrecker is the one that comes to assistance unless a specific company is requested by the party involved.
The systems are probably similar.

FireCop

Public Safety Grunt
Premium Subscriber
You should hear a SHP trooper request a 10-51 (this is the ten code for wrecker/tow truck) rotation. Depending on the county and size, you may or may not hear them request for a certain area of the county.

If they are like a certain agency I work for, they have tow companies apply, do backgrounds on them, and require them to have some type of bond in order to be placed on the rotation list.

Status
Not open for further replies.