Iredell County

Status
Not open for further replies.

yardbird

I have Iredell County fire programmed in my Spectra VHF Mobile. I have listened to them dispatch fire and first responder calls over the last couple of days.

My question is why do they set so many tones off for each fire department.

I understand setting off two sets one for pagers and the other for the siren.

But they set off 3-4 sets followed by dtmf also.

I was just curious as to why so many tones

Thanks

David

KI4GBJ

FireCop

Public Safety Grunt
Premium Subscriber
I have noticed them simulcasting EMS and Fire tone outs when the calls require both kinds of units (Fire/First Responder & EMS). I will try to listen in some more to make sure.

CCHLLM

Iredell is the same as anywhere else. The station siren (likely the dtmf you hear) and the firefighters' pagers (Motorola two-tone) may require different tones, and if two stations are being dispatched, there'll be at least 4 tone sets going out. Some stations use a separate set of tones for the rescue/ems assist members vs fire tones, so with that page thrown in, you'll probably hear a wacker's concert when both fire and rescue members from more than one station are alerted.

fcfd988

Feed Provider
I have often wondered this same thing about Iredell County. It really dont make a lot of sense to me. Although I do tend to agree with wx4cbh, I have heard 4 sets of 2-tone and 1 DTMF string encoded for a single department.

My department has 3 sets of tones, one for fire pagers, one for first responder pagers and one for the station siren. (We are not in Iredell County). All three are NEVER supposed to be encoded at the same time. ALL of our pagers activate with the fire pager tones (we are a fire department first and foremost) If you are a First Responder/EMT then you get the first responder tones added to your pager in addition to the fire tones. Basically this prevents waking up the people who do not run medical calls in the middle of the night when granny has a tummy ache. If you need to page everybody, just set off the fire pagers, so there is no need in our case to ever set off both the fire pagers and first responce pagers at the same time.

Rant, rant, rant.....

Wes

yardbird

I know here all the Volunteers have one set for fire and the siren.

One set with the exception of two departments will set both pagers and sirens off.

The other two departments have seperate tones for the pagers and one for the siren.

I don't understand how it is done. Communications has the capability to use the same set of tones to either set off just the pagers or pagers and siren both.

Some also have another set for the Water Team and Land Search Team.

So actually a member could have 3 sets of tones in one pager if he/she is apart of a fire department and the speciallty teams.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.